50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Interesting you had D1748 as its one of the few Brush Type 4's still on the mainline.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't realised.

I've just checked out the Class 47 site which shows its varied history. It is now No 47815, in Rail Operations Group blue, having previously carried the name 'Great Western'.

I actually included it in this photo at Carnforth station, about to pass a 'Black Five' (which I think is 45231) which was light engine in the platform.

post-24907-0-04457000-1531777500_thumb.jpg

D1748 about to pass 45231 at Carnforth on 16th July 1968

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I'm loving you stories and pictures Trev.   At about that time I had just taken my O'Levels and would have been waiting for the end of term but can't think of anything specific that I woud have been doing railway wise in the July.   However I strongly suspect that the regular Long Meg to Widness Anhydrite trains had long gone over ot class 40 haulage from my beloved 9F's.

Jamie

I'm loving you stories and pictures Trev.   At about that time I had just taken my O'Levels and would have been waiting for the end of term but can't think of anything specific that I woud have been doing railway wise in the July.   However I strongly suspect that the regular Long Meg to Widness Anhydrite trains had long gone over ot class 40 haulage from my beloved 9F's.

Jamie

Thanks for that, Jamie.

I think you are correct about the 9Fs on the 'Long Meg' workings. The RCTS book on these locos says the anhydrite trains were gradually dieselised from October 1967, but 92233 was noted as late as 29th November.

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, Jamie.

I think you are correct about the 9Fs on the 'Long Meg' workings. The RCTS book on these locos says the anhydrite trains were gradually dieselised from October 1967, but 92233 was noted as late as 29th November.

Cheers

Trevor

I presume that they would be dieselised when the sheds around Widness closed.   They were the most regular trains that I saw out of the kitchen window across the valley. The other  train that had 9F's till quite late was the Heysham to Hunslet oil tanks.   It used to be double headed by 9F;s then eventually a 25 and a 9F.

Jamie

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I presume that they would be dieselised when the sheds around Widness closed.   They were the most regular trains that I saw out of the kitchen window across the valley. The other  train that had 9F's till quite late was the Heysham to Hunslet oil tanks.   It used to be double headed by 9F;s then eventually a 25 and a 9F.

I'm sure my Dad's last photo of regular BR steam shows a slightly blurred 25+9F somewhere along the Carnforth - Settle junction route; it was perhaps June '68.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure my Dad's last photo of regular BR steam shows a slightly blurred 25+9F somewhere along the Carnforth - Settle junction route; it was perhaps June '68.

I know that that working lasted quite late and Carnforth did have the last 9F's I think so that is quite possible. I could just see trains on that line from my brother's bedroom window.  

Jamie

Thanks Trevor, Jamie and all those who have 'clicked' approvals of my last twelve 'therapy notes'!  But, isn't it great to have some of Trevor's superb professional photographs and erudite memories back on the topic, rather than having to read some of that tripe I've been churning out?  Mind you, thanks also to Larry for reminding me about all the liveries of the Sixties' omnibuses.  Besides the Salford Corporation route No.64 (decked in Dark green with Cream stripes, I think?) taking us out to Eccles and Patricroft, I might have used a Stockport Corporation (Vermillion with Pale cream upper deck, highlighted with a red stripe), or a North Western (mainly pillar box Red with Cream stripe) to travel into Manchester, rather than walk to my local station and catch a train - which back then would have passed by the derelict engine-shed at Stockport Edgeley.

After a shed had closed in this last 32 weeks between January 1968 and The End, I rarely went back again.  Although I passed through Stockport on several occasions after 4th May and began at least one aborted cycle ride with Peter [2], I avoided revisiting the Stockport sheds.  However, Bolton and Newton Heath sheds were the exceptions and according to my notes, I made a visit to these sheds on the day after the official closure date of 30th June 1968.  Newton Heath was eerily quiet with a mix of thirty-three dead Stanier Fives and Eights and solitary 9F, 92054.  But 45206 and 45330 would be re-steamed and go on to see further service at Carnforth.  At Bolton, several engines were also destined for more service and even 'stardom' (Nos. 44781, 44871, 44888 and 45260), although all noted as 'out of steam' among the rows of dead and condemned locomotives. In total, twenty-four, all Stanier-designed engines were present in Bolton on Monday 1st July.

So, to continue with my therapy: What was in the charts as July 1968 began and where were we forced to go now to see a working steam engine?  Answers: With the "Baby Come Back" [2] ringing in our ears, now that the sights, sounds and smell of steam had been expunged from Manchester, we would have to go to some of the same places as RMweb's ace-photographer, Trevor and Preston was our nearest point of what remained of the steam railway of 1968.

'Schools out for Summer' and two days in July spent crunching on the last cinder paths!

After school broke-up for the summer, I 'assisted' my Uncle (Bernard) for a week as a labourer, with a shop-fitting contract that he had in a posh china shop in Wilmslow!  I remember that I was rather taken with one of the young assistants [3], but she was way out of a 'school-boy's league'!  Anyway, the job provided some much-needed funds for another steam-sniffing session and which brings my story to the same time and same place as Trevor: Fifty years ago this very day - Peter and I set off for Preston!

My notes aren't as comprehensive as they could be, but, I'm fairly sure that we travelled up around lunchtime on the 17th and I have as in steam and working around Preston the following locomotives; 44894 (10A), 45110, 45318, 48340, 48665, 48723 (10F) and 48765 (10D), a few of which Trevor has already recorded in post 556.

In the early evening, we went out to Lostock Hall shed (10D).  I suppose it would be around 7.30-ish and I recorded 22 Fives (3 dead), 8 Eights (5 dead) and the three Ivatt, 2-6-0s [4], before we set off back to the town for our fish 'n' chips!

Later, we went back onto the station, where we spent the night dodging some of the night staff and talking to the crew of the night pilot, 45212.  Not wishing to overstay our welcome with the crew of 45212, we caught a train for Rose Grove in the early hours of Thursday 18th.

More next time. 

All the very best,

John.

[1] . . where we turned around near Cheadle CLC station in a terrific thunderstorm!

[2] Released on May 1st, The Equals chart-topper would hit No. 1 on July 3rd, pushing off the Stones 'Jumpin Jack Flash' and holding on for 3 weeks of July 1968.

[3] who had a hair-do like that of Sandie Shaw (sang Puppet on a String - The Eurovision Winner in 1967).

[4] 43019 and 43027 withdrawn, 43106 stored pending preservation.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Trevor, Jamie and all those who have 'clicked' approvals of my last twelve 'therapy notes'!  But, isn't it great to have some of Trevor's superb professional photographs and erudite memories back on the topic, rather than having to read some of that tripe I've been churning out?  Mind you, thanks also to Larry for reminding me about all the liveries of the Sixties' omnibuses.  Besides the Salford Corporation route No.64 (decked in Dark green with Cream stripes, I think?) taking us out to Eccles and Patricroft, I might have used a Stockport Corporation (Vermillion with Pale cream upper deck, highlighted with a red stripe), or a North Western (mainly pillar box Red with Cream stripe) to travel into Manchester, rather than walk to my local station and catch a train - which back then would have passed by the derelict engine-shed at Stockport Edgeley.

After a shed had closed in this last 32 weeks between January 1968 and The End, I rarely went back again.  Although I passed through Stockport on several occasions after 4th May and began at least one aborted cycle ride with Peter [2], I avoided revisiting the Stockport sheds.  However, Bolton and Newton Heath sheds were the exceptions and according to my notes, I made a visit to these sheds on the day after the official closure date of 30th June 1968.  Newton Heath was eerily quiet with a mix of thirty-three dead Stanier Fives and Eights and 9F, 92054.  But 45206 and 45330 would be re-steamed and go on to see further service at Carnforth.  At Bolton, several engines were also destined for more service and even 'stardom' (Nos. 44781, 44871, 44888 and 45206), although all noted as 'out of steam' among the rows of dead and condemned locomotives. In total, twenty-four, all Stanier-designed engines were present in Bolton on Monday 1st July.

So, to continue with my therapy: What was in the charts as July 1968 began and where were we forced to go now to see a working steam engine?  Answers: With the "Baby Come Back" [2] ringing in our ears, now that the sights, sounds and smell of steam had been expunged from Manchester, we would have to go to some of the same places as RMweb's ace-photographer, Trevor and Preston was our nearest point of what remained of the steam railway of 1968.

'Schools out for Summer' and two days in July spent crunching on the last cinder paths!

After school broke-up for the summer, I 'assisted' my Uncle (Bernard) for a week as a labourer, with a shop-fitting contract that he had in a posh china shop in Wilmslow!  I remember that I was rather taken with one of the young assistants [3], but she was way out of a 'school-boy's league'!  Anyway, the job provided some much-needed funds for another steam-sniffing session and which brings my story to the same time and same place as Trevor: Fifty years ago this very day - Peter and I set off for Preston!

My notes aren't as comprehensive as they could be, but, I'm fairly sure that we travelled up around lunchtime on the 17th and I have as in steam and working around Preston the following locomotives; 44894 (10A), 45110, 45318, 48340, 48665, 48723 (10F) and 48765 (10D), a few of which Trevor has already recorded in post 556.

In the early evening, we went out to Lostock Hall shed (10D).  I suppose it would be around 7.30-ish and I recorded 22 Fives (3 dead), 8 Eights (5 dead) and the three Ivatt, 2-6-0s [4], before we set off back to the town for our fish 'n' chips!

Later, we went back onto the station, where we spent the night dodging some of the night staff and talking to the crew of the night pilot, 45212.  Not wishing to overstay our welcome with the crew of 45212, we caught a train for Rose Grove in the early hours of Thursday 18th.

More next time. 

All the very best,

John.

[1] . . where we turned around near Cheadle CLC station in a terrific thunderstorm!

[2] Released on May 1st, The Equals chart-topper would hit No. 1 on July 3rd, pushing off the Stones 'Jumpin Jack Flash' and holding on for 3 weeks of July 1968.

[3] who had a hair-do like that of Sandie Shaw (sang Puppet on a String - The Eurovision Winner in 1967).

[4] 43019 and 43027 withdrawn, 43106 stored pending preservation.

That's great as usual John.   Who would have thought that 50 years later several of those locos would still be fit for main line work and able, in some cases, to work out of Carnforth depot.   Also that I would have been able to see 3 of the original Stones perform Jumpin Jack Flash in Manchester in June 2018, and they can still rock it.

Jamie

• Like 3

Old Gringo wrote yesterday:

Hi John

I took five photographs at Preston on 17th July (including 48765 and 48340) but I didn't manage to include you or other spotters in the shots - never mind, our paths might still cross in the next two weeks!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 3

50 years ago today (continued)

Thursday 18th July 1968

Before I caught my usual Barrow to Lancaster train, departing from Arnside at 09.20, I took this view from the Youth Hostel window of a Standard 4-6-0 heading west across the viaduct. 

post-24907-0-21489000-1531898533_thumb.jpg

Then it was down to the station where D1821 took me to Lancaster and D420 continued with the 09.59 to Preston, where I stayed for a couple of hours or so. Here I saw 45110 on Trip T63, 45212 at the head of a pw train busy at the south end of the station, 45200 with a southbound coal train, 48665 heading the other way on a similar working and 44758 with a southbound freight. 

At 12.44 I caught a northbound train with D425 in charge to Carnforth, where I spent several hours (apparently) observing the goings-on at the shed, viewed from the footpath which skirted the western side. My notes say "10A: in steam 45206, 44963, 45025, 45017, 44894, 75048, 45134, 73069, 44874."

Here's a shot I don't think I've used before, of 44874 at the coaling plant. Note it has '1L30' chalked/painted on the smokebox door. My final notes from that visit say "44874 P S (1L30) to Morecambe" (In other words, Southbound Passenger train). I'm amazed I didn't photograph it at the station, unless I hadn't realised what was happening until too late. Perhaps others can confirm this working.

post-24907-0-39209700-1531901179_thumb.jpg

44874 taking coal at Carnforth shed on 18th July 1968. The tender on the left is in among the lines of dumped locos awaiting disposal.

The 18.04 dmu returned me to base at Arnside, but I wasn't finished yet. At 19.42 I boarded another dmu bound for Ulverston, where I wanted to photograph the Barrow parcels train at rest, rather than try and catch it at sunset passing through Arnside (as it happens, my picture the previous evening hadn't come out too badly, although I wouldn't know that until I had developed the film - none of this digital instant viewing back then!)

Cue another shot with one of the crew on view, as 45206 awaits the 'all clear'

post-24907-0-80103600-1531900466_thumb.jpg

45206 at Ulverston on 18th July 1968

The parcels train didn't stop at Arnside, of course, or I might have tried to cadge a cab-ride! (Is 'cadge' a Geordie word?)

So I had to make do with the 21.00 from Ulverston back to the Youth Hostel at Arnside, another ex-Barrow long-distance express with D1622 at the head. Ah well, at least better than a dmu!

Tomorrow - more at Carnforth

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 17

Please, please tell me some of these images will feature in the forthcoming MN book......

Haha! I wish!

No, I wasn't part of the MNA, although I knew several of the group, including the late Ken Groundwater who in more recent times lived quite close to me in Gateshead.

One of his photos of a 9F is used as part of the online sample shots for the MNA book 'Never Again' which I believe is due out next month. I've got my set of four volumes ordered - save £25 off the full price if ordered by end of July. (I should be on commission, shouldn't I?!)

Cheers

Trevor

One of his photos of a 9F is used as part of the online sample shots for the MNA book 'Never Again' which I believe is due out next month. I've got my set of four volumes ordered - save £25 off the full price if ordered by end of July. (I should be on commission, shouldn't I?!)

Ooooh!  Thanks for the tip-off, copy of the epic duly ordered.  Can't wait. (rubs hands with glee and shifts in seat)  :angel:

Out of interest, are there any commemorations planned for August 4th?  The date coincides with a music festival we're attending in Blackpool, and part of me fancies raising a glass to the men and machines that have tantalised and fascinated me for half a century.

• Like 1

I might have tried to cadge a cab-ride! (Is 'cadge' a Geordie word?)

Cheers

Trevor

No, not specifically Geordie, as I learnt on a Birds Of Prey experience.  A Cadger would collect the falcons etc. at the end of the hunting in a tray-type basket and carry them (give them a lift) back home.

Ooooh!  Thanks for the tip-off, copy of the epic duly ordered.  Can't wait. (rubs hands with glee and shifts in seat)  :angel:

Out of interest, are there any commemorations planned for August 4th?  The date coincides with a music festival we're attending in Blackpool, and part of me fancies raising a glass to the men and machines that have tantalised and fascinated me for half a century.

The Severn Valley Railway have an event, including "Meet The Engine" with 48773 (not in steam) - see http://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=132

• Like 1

Yes Jamie (post 562) "Who would have thought that  . .  you would have been able to see three of the original line up of the Stones perform Jumpin' Jack Flash in Manchester 50 years later?"  Don't you wish we had put a bet on it?

And Trevor (post 563),  I must have been stood just a few feet away when you pressed the shutter on the photograph of 48340.  However, back then we did try to avoid spoiling photographs.  (There were quite a few other dishevelled train-chasers wandering around Preston besides me).  I too hope that our paths cross again during this summer and maybe I can thank you personally for starting this topic and posting your super photographs, which bring back so many happy memories.

Chard asked (post 567) about events over the August weekends and I posted a link to those planned for the Severn Valley on August 4th, in my 30th June entry (post 544). However, I see that Steve4rosegrove has also given the link to the planned activities in post 569 above.  Please note that "Transition", a New Book by Colin Gifford will also be launched at Kidderminster Railway Museum on August 4th - and I'm also hoping to be on the 'Valley' with some of my old pals from 1968. [1]

Sad Sights in the early morning at Rose Grove (10F) shed.

Fifty years on and I now wonder what we did in the early hours of Thursday 18th July?  

Possibly we were hoping for a 'Black Magic Woman' to spirit us away to/from Rose Grove, or perhaps an 'Angel of the Morning' to appear and cook up a bacon butty when we arrived there! [2].  However, I think we must have tramped around the shed pretty smartly and I recorded 10 serviceable Fives, including 45156 (Ayrshire Yeomanry) plus only one withdrawn example, 45382.  10F m.p.d. also had 23 Eights present on that morning, five of which were condemned and I can't imagine a sadder sight greeting us than finding 48115, less connecting rods in the early morning light [3].   

After watching some freight activities, we caught the train back to Preston and spent some time noting the traffic passing through the station.  Trevor watched 44758 (10A) head south in post 564 and we saw it too, along with 45212 (10D), 45231 (10A), 45318, 44809 (10A) and 48723 (10F).  Eventually, we decided to call it a day and headed home, noting 44971 (10D) and 45073 (10D) working between Preston and Chorley.

On the way home, we no doubt discussed what we were going to do on week commencing 30th July, the last week of operational steam and you'll all be happy to know that there's only a few pages left in my notebook now!

More great pictures from Trevor no doubt, before a couple more memories from me on August 1st.

All the very best,

John.

[1] I also understand that the Great Central have some events planned for August 11th, but have yet to ascertain the exact details.

[2] Black Magic Woman was a 10th April release by Fleetwood Mac and had long since faded from the charts, but Angel of the Morning, by P.P. Arnold, was a 10th July release already getting noticed by the Pop-pickers on Radio One.

[3] 48115 was the engine we rode upon from Godley Junction to Heaton Mersey, on 4th May - post 526.

• Like 7

Having moved to North Wales in June 1965, Mary had stayed in Oldham to sell the house, so I traveled home every Friday teatime after work until October. I was never a spotter as such, but I do remember the locos were always a Black Five (Caprotti and conventional) except for one 7P. I remember standing gazing at it in the darkness at Man. Exchange after it had given us a good run. One Friday teatime, the train was so packed that I found a seat in a lookout ducket after the guard asked me to keep him company!  It was the only time I didn't travel with me head out the window, although I had a good view thru' the back windows.

I avoided DMU-travel from Manchester and caught the express bus from Stevenson Square instead. One thing I noticed on alighting in the grotto at Oldham Mumps was the smell of the town.....A kind of fousty damp smokey pong that I hadn't smelled while growing up there. Manchester had always smelled like pea soup. Traveling back to Wales on Sunday was always a pleasure as was filling my lungs with sea air when I alighted.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

The Severn Valley Railway have an event, including "Meet The Engine" with 48773 (not in steam).

A real 'survivor' - withdrawn in 1962, for the first of three times!

• Like 2

Having moved to North Wales in June 1965, Mary had stayed in Oldham to sell the house, so I traveled home every Friday teatime after work until October. I was never a spotter as such, but I do remember the locos were always a Black Five (Caprotti and conventional) except for one 7P. I remember standing gazing at it in the darkness at Man. Exchange after it had given us a good run. One Friday teatime, the train was so packed that I found a seat in a lookout ducket after the guard asked me to keep him company!  It was the only time I didn't travel with me head out the window, although I had a good view thru' the back windows.

I avoided DMU-travel from Manchester and caught the express bus from Stevenson Square instead. One thing I noticed on alighting in the grotto at Oldham Mumps was the smell of the town.....A kind of fousty damp smokey pong that I hadn't smelled while growing up there. Manchester had always smelled like pea soup. Traveling back to Wales on Sunday was always a pleasure as was filling my lungs with sea air when I alighted.

Forgot all about the Express bus to Manchester from Oldham. I think it stopped somewhere near us in Hollingwood as I have faint memories of getting on it in the early 70's. Now about to get on a New Routemaster to Euston and then off to see my Mum who lives near the former Middleton Junction. Might get up to Oldham but more likely to go into Middleton. 

• Like 2

After watching some freight activities, we caught the train back to Preston and spent some time noting the traffic passing through the station.  Trevor watched 44758 (10A) head south in post 564 and we saw it too, along with 45212 (10D), 45231 (10A), 45318, 44809 (10A) and 48723 (10F).  Eventually, we decided to call it a day and headed home, noting 44971 (10D) and 45073 (10D) working between Preston and Chorley.

All the very best,

John.

Before I relate my travels from 19th July, may I just backtrack to the 18th to tie in with John's post?

Here's a shot of 45212 alongside D7577 with a group of spotters. Are you there, John?

post-24907-0-12763500-1531988186_thumb.jpg

Preston 18th July 1968

And here's my shot of 44758 which you also saw.

post-24907-0-73148500-1531988248_thumb.jpg

Preston 18th July

My notes tell me this train passed through at 12.20

Incidentally, just look at all the freight traffic in the background!

Now, back to uploading the 19th...

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 12

attachicon.gif(874a) 44758 Preston 18-7-68 (Trevor Ermel) (1).jpg

Preston 18th July

Incidentally, just look at all the freight traffic in the background!

Onto model railways for a second - isn't that an Airfix ventilated meat van poking from the nearest orifice of the shed?

We're always told that these things didn't really exist in the scheme of things!

• Like 1