I have a scenario slowly building up based on an alternative history where the Kent coalfields were rather more successful than they were in real life, and thus had a small fleet of locos. Maybe something along those lines would work - doesn't have to be the collieries, could be other industries, although unfortunately Kent is not well served by industries requiring a loco that powerful.

• Thanks 1

That could work - I could then line it out in LNWR style, which is what I'd really like to do (I don't want to do it Taff Vale style, much as I love that livery).

Any other suggestions anyone?

• Like 1

More on the 0-8-0T...

IMG_20190406_091159.jpg.2ac17a55600174e1a3df0e71b2d001fd.jpg

As can be seen, the glue on this old body was only just holding the thing together! But it will make tidying it up easier, and has enabled some further checking.

IMG_20190406_091214.jpg.9a9482f2b90aee15445d29a7af7bc055.jpg

Here's the chassis as it stands. I have now moved the wires and resistors from the top of the motor to enable the boiler-top to sit better.

IMG_20190406_091537.jpg.da0de8676b836e065cb68ec43fb18854.jpg

The next thing to address is the front end, and more to the point how to make it sit properly.

IMG_20190406_091301.jpg.de0d765957409acfbabeb0abdfdb5c2c.jpg

And I need to work out how to permanently mount the chassis and ought to work out how to disguise the motor in the cab.

IMG_20190406_091846.jpg.976be73a7540f96e067d8dc7a90c55a6.jpg

However, I still think it looks a very handsome, maybe even plausible, machine.

IMG_20190406_091750.jpg.026ac60c38813c72764ccf18e875af9f.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4

One thing that stands out to me is that cylinders on locos are usually (not always!) mounted directly below the chimney, for good draughting. is it possible to do that with this loco? If so, it would seem to solve the problems of the cylinders infringing on the bufferbeam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a thing that worries me too, - just how all the piping from the boiler actually gets to the cylinders and how the exhaust steam finds its way to the blastpipe.  The cylinders can't be moved, but the smokebox could be brought forward so everything lines up better.

• Like 1

I'd rather not. To be honest, it's something I can live with and knowing that it was occasionally done this way is enough for me. I might see how it looks as an inside cylinder loco maybe?

Still need to sort out that front buffer, but it's more or less done, if I leave it with outside cylinders. It has been stripped down and reassembled. New handrails have gone in, it now has safety valves and a whistle so now only awaits some holes for mounting the chassis and a new coat of paint! 

1554556339077-1699882337.jpg.536bc2cf31c3492ad76b31bbcf552ba1.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I'd rather not. To be honest, it's something I can live with and knowing that it was occasionally done this way is enough for me. I might see how it looks as an inside cylinder loco maybe?

Sem, it runs very well, so I would leave it as is. The outside cylinders add interest and set it apart from the usual inside cylinder types.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I do have to agree with you Sem, - it does make for a rather handsome locomotive and the discrepancy with the cylinders isn't exactly blindingly obvious.  Now you just need to find some 0-8-0 worthy loads for it to haul about.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah yes, the famed lovechild of a Princess Royal and a large Caley loco...

Two more jobs to go on the completion list - The acquisition of a new dome (any recommendations for a source? Gibson perhaps?) and the completion of the underside of the boiler where once was a Hornby Dublo chassis block.

I've added some more weight to it, but it's only temporary until I  can fill every millimetre of available space with lead - This is intended to be a powerful loco and I shall make it so! I want it to be capable of being able to go and give a stuck train a jolly good shove... from behind... :O 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Ah yes, the famed lovechild of a Princess Royal and a large Caley loco... 

On behalf of the Caledonian Railway Company I refute that any such liason ever took place! :nono:

Jim 

So, with the 0-8-0T nearing completion and the Maunsell Y (2-8-0) still being decided on (I need to do some rather more substantial work on that one, indeed I may even replace the body entirely), what for the next project?

Well...

image.png.0dc720dbbd54778dcd4daa2361c822f5.png

I've returned to this idea. I first had it, as some of you may remember, when I first bought my Class 700 (Currently in BR Black, set to go into SR Black if it's not converted) and I now feel that it would be somehow more logical to do it as a 3D print. In a few weeks time I'll have access to a decent resin printer, for free,so will be looking to print as much as possible then. As such I therefore ask if anyone has some decent C2x drawings?

I suspect that I will probably have to print the tender as well. Might see if Bachmann won't supply me with one though.

In addition, I will have access to a scanner so will be able to scan the chassis and build the body of the loco around it.

And I've just arrived at Alton en-route to the MHR so must leave...

Edit: I know that the wheelbases don't match up...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Heya Sem, may I make a suggestion? Please feel free to ignore of course!

I think the 0-8-0T looks great but one 'tweak' would complete it for me, that would be to move the whole body forwards on the chassis. At the moment, the chimney is set back from the cylinders as you say, but there is also a large-ish overhang at the back from the tender loco chassis.

EDIT like this

0-8-0T.jpg.6225b67aa0992df266bc0baffd0161cd.jpg

If you look at the Thompson Q1 (itself a tank engine rebuild of a tender loco) the rear wheelset is right under the cab.

q1_1.gif

What you could do is saw off the rear portion of the chassis, which would enable you to move the whole thing forward so the front face of the smokebox is level with the front of the cylinders.

When I did my Garratt from two ROD chassis, I turned the motors around on the chassis. It was a relatively simple job, I just glued the motor to my styrene mounts.

If you did this, you could hide the motor in the boiler. Would probably require the capacitors to be moved but that's just a couple of wires.

Original chassis

MwAPh7SYRxKyRJrT1MenaA_thumb_b4f2.jpg.ce63f3eb4c597412ff76e77028422cea.jpg

With motor reversed

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b51e.jpg.83f7f5a8b4c79d0b1fa0f7f0506295ba.jpg

What I did was take the motor and gearbox out, pop the gears out, put the gears back in their mounts back to front, then built up a styrene base on the chassis and glued the motor back on.

I hope this is useful!

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Well, my other concern is that it runs perfectly well, the chassis fits under the body perfectly and also I haven't currently got the tools available to do anything more substantial.

In the future? Yes, I agree that it would improve it, but for now it does what I want it to do.

• Agree 1

On 05/04/2019 at 21:01, sem34090 said:

That could work - I could then line it out in LNWR style, which is what I'd really like to do (I don't want to do it Taff Vale style, much as I love that livery).

Any other suggestions anyone?

The only thing I could suggest they’d need that much muscle for is to lift the boat trains out of  Folkestone?  The approach to Newhaven is too flat. The next places are Exeter or Meldon, and that’s too far west.

Rich.

• Thanks 1