For now I think that the Vulcan Foundry 0-8-0T is more-or-less complete, besides the obvious paint and transfers which will have to wait for now. The Maunsell 2-8-0, should I decide to progress it, needs more substantial work, not least some new valve gear and some Maunsell-patter cylinders.

So... What next on the locomotive front? Well, I still have a lot of stuff that needs renumbering but that isn't the highest priority at the moment. I've rather enjoyed doing the 0-8-0T and fancy another, more substantial RTR/Kit bash.

Now, I have an Oxford Adams Radial that has been through the wars a bit and now, to be honest, looks rather worse-for-wear. At any rate, in Adams livery it is far too early for my modelling period these days, and is actually of rather little use. I suppose given that 488 found its way to Kent I could try and justify it but that's just trying to shoe-horn it in. Given its condition it's not going to fetch much money, so...

34%20E&MR%20Eastern%20&%20Midland%20Rail

Photograph isn't mine.

Hmm...

Now, I don't intend on building an M&GN 4-4-0 (I have less use for one of those than I do for an Adams Radial!) but it demonstrates the basic principle, which I know has been done in model form with various radials previously. For this project, I have at my disposal:

• A choice of Robinson, Wainwright, Holden, Fowler and Stirling tenders.
  • An Oxford Adams Radial Body.
  • An Oxford Adams Radial Chassis.
  • A K's Adams Radial Body.
  • A Wills Drummond M7 Body.
  • Multiple Drummond Chimneys.
  • A Urie Stovepipe Chimney.
  • A Billinton (Or maybe Marsh - it's off a Bachmann E4) Chimney
  • An Adams Stovepipe Chimney.
  • A few GWR Chimneys.
  • A Stirling Single Chimney/Smokebox/Cylinder assembly.
  • A Wainwright Boiler/Smokebox assembly.
  • A Wainwright Cab.
  • A Drummond Cab.
  • A Robinson Boiler/Smokebox assembly.
  • An entire Oxford Isle of Mann Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T
  • CAD for a Beyer Peacock 4-4-0T
  • All manner of other bits and pieces!!!

I'd be interested in any suggestions, and that includes not doing it as a 4-4-0 or simply abandoning the idea. I think the Radial lends itself so well to this type of conversion as there was so little in the way of side-tanks on them.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, sem34090 said:

For now I think that the Vulcan Foundry 0-8-0T is more-or-less complete, besides the obvious paint and transfers which will have to wait for now. The Maunsell 2-8-0, should I decide to progress it, needs more substantial work, not least some new valve gear and some Maunsell-patter cylinders.

So... What next on the locomotive front? Well, I still have a lot of stuff that needs renumbering but that isn't the highest priority at the moment. I've rather enjoyed doing the 0-8-0T and fancy another, more substantial RTR/Kit bash.

Now, I have an Oxford Adams Radial that has been through the wars a bit and now, to be honest, looks rather worse-for-wear. At any rate, in Adams livery it is far too early for my modelling period these days, and is actually of rather little use. I suppose given that 488 found its way to Kent I could try and justify it but that's just trying to shoe-horn it in. Given its condition it's not going to fetch much money, so...

34%20E&MR%20Eastern%20&%20Midland%20Rail

Photograph isn't mine.

Hmm...

Now, I don't intend on building an M&GN 4-4-0 (I have less use for one of those than I do for an Adams Radial!) but it demonstrates the basic principle, which I know has been done in model form with various radials previously.

I'd be interested in any suggestions, and that includes not doing it as a 4-4-0 or simply abandoning the idea. I think the Radial lends itself so well to this type of conversion as there was so little in the way of side-tanks on them.

My own thoughts:

- A LSWR Steamroller for Barnstaple Town, derived from the Hornby Adams Radial: Conversion suggestion from 2016;  My suggestion to you

- A Freelance Version for Castle AchingA Small BP 4-4-o for WNR 

Similar Beyer Peacock 4-4-0s

-A summary of similar early Adams 4-4-0s and 4-4-0T/4-4-2Ts

Hopefully some useful gen for you there, Sem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks James, but I'm not especially keen on having it as an LSWR 'Steamroller' - I'm after something a little more freelance. I'm thinking of a Blackstone & Marshland loco that passed to the SECR (somehow...) and thence to the Southern in 1923. I therefore think that equipping it with the Wainwright tender seems logical enough, and I think a coat of SR Lined Olive (or maybe lined black?) could suit it quite nicely. I suppose, then, I could equip it with a Wainwright chimney and smokebox door?

Another possibility I had considered was using the smokebox/cylinder assembly from a Stirling Single, but then it begins to look rather less Beyer Peacock.

4 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Thanks James, but I'm not especially keen on having it as an LSWR 'Steamroller' - I'm after something a little more freelance. I'm thinking of a Blackstone & Marshland loco that passed to the SECR (somehow...) and thence to the Southern in 1923. I therefore think that equipping it with the Wainwright tender seems logical enough, and I think a coat of SR Lined Olive (or maybe lined black?) could suit it quite nicely. I suppose, then, I could equip it with a Wainwright chimney and smokebox door?

Another possibility I had considered was using the smokebox/cylinder assembly from a Stirling Single, but then it begins to look rather less Beyer Peacock.

Sem, that was my point; since your starting point appears to be the Beyer-Peacock looking Adams Radial and you seem intent on a conversion to a 4-4-0 tender engine. You could do a freelance version of the Steamroller, that would give you a nice mixed traffic 4-4-0.

I am in two minds whether to do this for the WNR or go for a version with larger wheels, as a passenger class, making it more a freelance version of the M&GN A Class. 

If you are going for that Beyer Peacock look, it will look like an ex-SW Adams class - for the reasons discussed in the posts I linked to.  I like the idea of Wainwright additions.  That may make it look less like the Adams SW 4-4-0 variant that never was. 

Posit a Wainwright-era re-boilering and use, as you say, SE&CR chimney and smoke-box door, but also safety valve.  Add a SE&CR tender.  Make sure you fit Beyer Works plates! Depending on your era, SE&CR 1915 Grey - lasted through to mid-twenties easily. Less likely to confuse it with an ex-LSW class that way. 

Maunsell lined olive is a very attractive livery, to my mind, so I'd tend to favour that. 

Edited by Edwardian

19 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Sem, that was my point; since your starting point appears to be the Beyer-Peacock looking Adams Radial and you seem intent on a conversion to a 4-4-0 tender engine. You could do a freelance version of the Steamroller, that would give you a nice mixed traffic 4-4-0.

Ah!!! I seeeeee!

I am in two minds whether to do this for the WNR or go for a version with larger wheels, as a passenger class, making it more a freelance version of the M&GN A Class. 

If you are going for that Beyer Peacock look, it will look like an ex-SW Adams class - for the reasons discussed in the posts I linked to.  I like the idea of Wainwright additions.  That may make it look less like the Adams SW 4-4-0 variant that never was. 

Yes, this is the idea.

Posit a Wainwright-era re-boilering and use, as you say, SE&CR chimney and smoke-box door, but also safety valve.  Add a SE&CR tender.  Make sure you fit Beyer Works plates! Depending on your era, SE&CR 1915 Grey - lasted through to mid-twenties easily. Less likely to confuse it with an ex-LSW class that way. 

Hmm... Yes, maybe grey is the better option then. I'll see if I can't simply substitute an entire Wainwright boiler.

Maunsell lined olive is a very attractive livery, to my mind, so I'd tend to favour that. 

I'm leaning towards it, with an 'A' number to mark it out as not being an SW machine.

Edited by sem34090

Well, it will be part of Blackstone West's loco fleet, and that has a potential booking to an exhibition in September and to another in November. ;) 

Being a former B&M loco I was very tempted to use the 'W's on the HMRS sheet to give it an 'M' prefix, just to be even more confusing, but 'A' is more likely.

Edited by sem34090

1 minute ago, AVS1998 said:

I sincerely hope you ret-con that canon of yours! Very creative, with all the answers! 

I thank you. :) 

1 minute ago, AVS1998 said:

Nice birdcage tease, by the way. Hopefully it's not a lone coach. 

It is at the moment. By the end of the afternoon, however, it won't be - I picked up the composite for a lower price than the brake ends I've found. The latter have been reserved for collection this afternoon.

Incidentally the Composite was £1.80 less than the Roxey Mouldings kit for the same coach... I keep saying it, but although for an RTR coach the Birdcages are not at all inexpensive, to my mind they offer significantly better value-for-money. I don't currently have access to the facilities to build a brass kit (I own them, just can't get at them), don't currently have the skills and ultimately only just about have the money or time to be building a birdcage set from brass. And I couldn't line them out to that standard, currently.

So, a look of all the Birdcages together on a rather inappropriate layout I dragged out of the shed:

IMG_20190420_184409.jpgFor now I doubt much will be happening with these. I need to stock up on adhesive then maybe I'll fit the screwlinks (or I'll save them for locos...). I need to get some solder paste to play about with before tackling the Roxey Tri-Composite. I have some M&SLR coach side etches to gain a bit of experience on first, then I'll make a start on the Roxey kit. I'm confident though and look forward to giving it a go. I'd be much more nervous if I'd paid full price, and even at £30 that's a sizeable sum to lose if I muck it up!

• Like 7

Thanks - They are. They ought to be given how much I had to sell to afford them, but they are very nice. I'm glad I've got them, and they have also led to a reduction in the clutter around here which can only be a good thing. In some ways it's good that they were pricey as if I'd had more money left I would have only bought more stuff with it and right now I'm trying to reduce the size of my stockbook and refocus it to more useful stuff.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Thanks - They are. They ought to be given how much I had to sell to afford them, but they are very nice. I'm glad I've got them, and they have also led to a reduction in the clutter around here which can only be a good thing. In some ways it's good that they were pricey as if I'd had more money left I would have only bought more stuff with it and right now I'm trying to reduce the size of my stockbook and refocus it to more useful stuff.

Makes sense. Funnily I'm trying to build mine up for the new expansion.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was seriously tempted to go for a lake set, but as I only have two (really) locos in Wainwright livery (The C as per your photo above, which may yet be sold or go grey and 178) and many more in olive I figured an Olive set was a more worthwhile investment.

I was wondering if anyone could assist me with something -

I'm soon to be renumbering my Hornby Terrier, currently 2662 in A1x condition with condensing pipes. Now, I seem to recall that this loco spent much if not all of it's SR life at Fratton which is a little bit useless as I'm modelling somewhere to the East of Hastings.

Does anyone have any information as to which terriers I could potentially renumber my example to?

I have started a separate thread for the Roxey Mouldings LBSCR 54ft Tri-Composite, as I felt given I need a lot of advice with this one it would be worth putting it in the kitbuilding section of the forum. I will, however, be posting updates on it here as well.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, sem34090 said:

I was wondering if anyone could assist me with something -

I'm soon to be renumbering my Hornby Terrier, currently 2662 in A1x condition with condensing pipes. Now, I seem to recall that this loco spent much if not all of it's SR life at Fratton which is a little bit useless as I'm modelling somewhere to the East of Hastings.

Does anyone have any information as to which terriers I could potentially renumber my example to?

I'd say that the DL Bradley series of books would have the best info on loco numbers and locations - and of course I only have Vol 3 which is no good for Terriers. I do have the Brian Haresnape book on Stroudley Locomotives which seems to have a large number of photos and quite a bit of detail. What period are  you looking at for 'East of Hastings' Terriers?

Hmm... that does narrow it down, but Haresnape doesn't mention anything in that region sadly. There's tons on info on which Terriers wouldn't be suitable though.

These are still SR after 1925, but no info on locations:

77 Modified for IoW in 1927

650 modified at Brighton and shipped to IoW in 1930

These are definitely not suitable:

673 & 674 (Edge Hill Light Railway from 1919/20)

The SR E-Group has a bunch of them based at Fratton (Portsmouth), some at Newhaven, and some on the IoW, but none elsewhere (http://www.semgonline.com/shed_allocations/shed-alloc.html)

That's about as far as I can go.

Peter

• Thanks 1