Ah well, I will work something out. Of course, being a fictional branch I could always just reallocate B662 to St Leonard's?

Meanwhile...

15559371866381483895407.jpg.292d9220228c0bcbd45d089a15fe9121.jpg

It's too modern, and it's not a great paint job but it's better and more appropriate than Malashite.

• Like 3

I've now done the other side. That was a rather more long-winded job than I thought it would be as the Hornby 'SOUTHERN' lettering was an entirely different shade to the HMRS transfers, so I had to replace those as well. In that instance I repainted the entire tank side in Humbrol SR Olive (a very subtly different shade to the factory finish) , having removed the old number but leaving the original 'SOUTHERN' in place to aid aligning the new lettering.

1555946173413-567951048.jpg

1555946202245-1488012569.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Exactly! In almost every way it's identical to the many thousands of Hornby 2662's in existence, but mine is just that bit different in representing the same loco (I didn't, really, renumber it!!!) a few years earlier... Makes all the difference. :) 

• Like 2

Over the past year in particular I have been building up a stock of loco parts, bodies and chassis and am now coming to the point of reviewing that which is worth keeping to hand and that which can be relegated to more inaccessible storage. I thought I'd post here what I have and see what the patrons of this parish suggest I may be able to do with them, suggestions preferably being for the Southern and its constituents, but I'm also interested in the possibilities of North London, Great Eastern and Caledonian stock, as well as more generic and freelance suggestions. 009, O-16.5 and Gn15 suggestions are also welcome, and I think I have some ideas regarding smallbrook kits... Also, with regards bodies and chassis that match, I don't have any real desire to reunite them, hence my listing them separately. I'm interested in other potential uses for them. The only one I might do is to put one of the E2 Bodies on one of the Hornby 0-6-0 chassis.

I have at my disposal the following chassis:

• Bachmann LMS Class 3F 'Jinty' (Sans DCC Socket, otherwise complete)
  • Mainline NER E1/LNER J72 (Complete)
  • Triang ex-GER B12 (Sans Bogie)
  • Hornby Standard 0-6-0 (x3, all complete)
  • Wrenn R1 0-6-0 (x2 - One converted to 0-6-2 configuration and complete, one requiring rods and wheels.)
  • Hornby Standard 0-4-0 Chassis (x2 - One cut down in length, complete.)
  • Hornby/Dapol 'Terrier' Chassis (converted to 2-4-0, complete.)
  • Triang LSWR M7 (Complete and Re-wheeled with Romfords)
  • Hornby (Newer) LSWR M7 (Complete)
  • Kitbuilt Lord Nelson 4-6-0 (Sans Valve Gear)
  • Mainline Royal Scot (Sans Valve Gear and Bogie, with Tender Drive)
  • Airfix LMS 4F (Complete)
  • K's Adams Radial (Basic Chassis only)
  • Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 (Complete, needs re-wiring)
  • Hamblings (?!) S15 (Basic Chassis and Bogie only)
  • Finecast M7 (Incomplete)
  • Hornby Peppercorn A1 (Sans Bogie - Rear Truck chopped off)
  • Triang 'Nellie' (Incomplete)
  • Airfix GWR 1400 (Incomplete)
  • Airfix Dean Goods Wheelset and rods
  • Lima  American 0-4-0T

The following bodies:

• Finecast LSWR M7
  • Triang LSWR M7 (x2)
  • Hornby/Dapol Terrier
  • Oxford Isle of Man Beyer Peacock
  • Mainline GWR 5700
  • Hornby LBSCR E2 (Sans Westinghouse Pump)
  • Hornby LBSCR E2 with extended tanks.
  • Triang LMS 'Jinty'
  • Kitbuilt 'Lord Nelson'
  • Hornby GWR 2751 Pannier (x2)
  • Airfix LMS 4F 
  • Triang B12 
  • Triang B12 boiler
  • Kitmaster GWR City
  • Kitmaster GNR Single Front-End
  • Bachmann ROD 2-8-0 (In several pieces but still, I believe, complete)
  • Triang 'Nellie'
  • Hornby Midland Compound
  • K's Adams Radial (Incomplete)
  • Hornby T9 (Incomplete)
  • Airfix Royal Scot (Sans Cab)
  • Airfix Royal Scot Smokebox and Firebox
  • Triang LNER A3 Boiler
  • Hornby LNER A3 Boiler
  • Lima American 0-4-0T
  • Partwork 1:100 Scale SR Schools
  • Parts of (Newer) Hornby M7 Bodies

Tenders

• Bachmann Robinson Tender (Complete)
  • Kitmaster GNR Tender (Complete)
  • Kitmaster GWR Tender (Complete)
  • Hornby Tender-Drive Schools Tender Body
  • Hornby LMS Compound Tender Body
  • Hornby LNER Corridor Tender (Complete)
  • Triang BR Standard Tender (Complete)

I also have a box full of coach parts and another full of smaller detailing parts, but we won't go there just now!!! Any suggestions for the usage of the above parts are gratefully accepted. I have a few ideas going around my head now I've actually listed what I have!!!

• Friendly/supportive 2

I should also add that, with regards chassis, I'm interested in knowing what prototypes and kits might be able to be bashed to fit them - Investing in a loco kit is made somewhat more justifiable in my mind if I know I have a running chassis for it.

Hamblings were a very early manufacturer of 00 scale stuff, but it seems my chassis isn't theirs as I thought so I'll keep looking and see what I come up with.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Hamblings were a very early manufacturer of 00 scale stuff, but it seems my chassis isn't theirs as I thought so I'll keep looking and see what I come up with.

Hmm. Must be quite obscure because I've never heard of them. 

Another potential addition to the roster... 

I was, today, in the (unfortunate?) Position of being in Brighton today. However, the day was lifted by a chance find of both a Wills Adams O2 in the toy museum shop (I always visit when out this way) for the steal price of £4.50 and my chancing on an art shop in The Lanes area that happens to sell relatively fine paint pens. What's more they had a 3 for 2 offer! At the moment I reckon these are my best chance of decent lining, and a few tests done on the O2 whilst sat on a seafront bench are favourable...

1556198903895-578744557.jpg.eb72663a70e78515bf30a73a43eb4adc.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

The loco will be going into Olive later, and will probably be finished as W24 'Calbourne' until such a time as I pluck up courage to modify it back to Mainland condition. 

I have a few ideas regarding chassis - I shall have a look when I get home...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That list of yours is strangely coincidental with another discussion (on the NGF) about producing standard 3D parts for Southern locos - boilers, cabs, tenders - so that scratch-builders could pick the parts they need to produce the loco they need. You already seem to have an Eastleigh of your own there.

• Friendly/supportive 1

A more serious attempt at lining with the paint pens...

15562075424161672111544.jpg.9c95b7c6a00789066fbe5417cdc6a164.jpg

Obviously it's not the best ever lining, but it's not the worst either and I don't think it's to be ashamed of.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

A more serious attempt at lining with the paint pens...

15562075424161672111544.jpg.9c95b7c6a00789066fbe5417cdc6a164.jpg

Obviously it's not the best ever lining, but it's not the worst either and I don't think it's to be ashamed of.

A smart little engine. I feel it will be a fine addition to your fleet. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I did the hideous white lining on the black paint the loco came with on Brighton Beach... ;) 

I had to wait until I got home to actually paint the thing Olive and try and make a proper job of it. I've actually done it a second time now and it's actually looking alright!

• Like 3

Well, it needs nameplates (and a chassis!) but I think this experiment can be declared successful!

1556227344600674921634.jpg

1556227385057397815973.jpg

It was certainly cheaper, and probably easier, than transfers for sure. I still intend to master the use of a bow-pen some day, but for now these seem to be doing a reasonable job... Not perfect, but better than I could do with a brush. Need to touch up a few bits and re-do the R/H side bunker lining - I had it better on the other side.

• Like 10

Firstly a note regarding my new SECR Grey avatar - Given my modelling period is now rather post-I.E.G. I decided my terrier needed something a little more up to date. I shall probably substitute in an umber one at some point.

In other news, I hope my Adams Radial Tender conversion can commence on Monday. I've had rather a lot of commitments these past few days, have been at the L.T.M's Acton Depot open day today, am working the platform at Medstead tomorrow and then back to the normal routine.

may even have some CAD projects lined up... Or maybe not...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3