The Pre-Grouping Modelling Showcase.

Nothing from the GWR yet? What, must put that right. Here’s something different, a 7mm. model of the first standard gauge shunting engine. Two were built as 0-4-2ST, in 1857 by Beyer Peacock, Works no’s 50/1, GWR 91/2, and employed around Chester. Twenty years later, they were rebuilt at Saltley, using the best bits to make one engine, no.92, which a year later lost the trailing wheelset. It was usually helping in the Wrexham coalfield. Wolverhampton works took it in 1893, turning it out looking like a short 850 tank, which is how I’ve modelled it, in the old Wolverhampton paint scheme. The cab entrance is on the other side, incidentally. It worked around Wrexham for some time then, but was seen at Severn Tunnel Junction in 1936, and at Radyr in 1938. In 1939 it went to Wellington, Salop, and was withdrawn in 1942, at 84years old, although the boiler lasted there for some years after raising steam.attachicon.gif5743FB14-DB0B-49C2-BFF1-AE134C815C71.jpeg

Northroader,

While my post above didn’t include anything GWR it did have a loco which worked on the GWR! G&SWR No 168 was one of 7 locos from the Sou’West which was loaned to the GWR during the first war. It worked from Old Oak Common and replaced Dean Goods which had been requisitioned by the WD for use in France.

I like your pug too,

Ian.

attachicon.gifIMG_4947 (2).JPG

This loco has appeared previously on the RT Models thread since it was built from the RT kit for an old class I. The prototype was bought to assist construction of the extensions to Newhaven harbour and only one, rather hazy, photo of it is known to exist. It belonged to the harbour company which operated in very close conjunction with the LB&SCR, which is how it comes to be painted in Mr Stroudley's Improved Engine Green.

Best wishes

Eric .

A superb build, and I particularly like the shade you have used to render the Stroudley passenger livery/IEG

Just a couple of photos of some of my 2FS stock ...

A rake of GWR 4 and 6 wheeled coaches.  These were built up from Worsley Works "scratch aid" kits (comprising just the sides , ends and roof).  The under frames are from etches made available by a fellow 2FS Association modeller, and whilst not being strictly accurate (they're GER ones), with a little modification and detailing I think that they don't look too bad.

The lining has been simplified slightly -  I have omitted the gold 1/8th inch thick line (0.02mm in 2FS) that should be just inboard of the raised moulding on each panel.

attachicon.gifDSCF2590.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2615.JPG

Ian

Very smart.  I very much admire these; I struggled to line out on versions twice the size! 

The lining has been simplified slightly -  I have omitted the gold 1/8th inch thick line (0.02mm in 2FS) that should be just inboard of the raised moulding on each panel.

I shouldn't worry too much about the lack of yellow lining. I dropped it after a couple of decades and simply darkened the cream slightly so that had any yellow lining been there, it would barely have shown!  It was the only way to fit the paint job into the prices people were prepared to pay at the time.

• Like 2

Moving a little nearer to home is this

ex Lancashire and Yorkshire 30 ton Bogie Van built from a Dragon Models kit with a little extra detail added.

36876205236_c6825a14de_b.jpg

37064438745_eae1347f4e_b.jpg

Then a couple of ex Midland milk vans

The first is from a Slaters kit, a really nice kit to put together and a kit that I rarely see for sale these days.

8997088066_256c1fc627_b.jpg

Then a 4 wheeled version built from the rather nice Connoisseur Kit

9061366314_656ceb66b4_b.jpg

9061384338_cdfbfaae59_b.jpg

I have never had the heart to weather either of these but I suppose I really aught to.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

On 4 December 1891, Thomas Clayton, the Midland Railway's carriage superintendent, drew the attention of the Board's Carriage and Wagon Committee "to the uselessness of lining the parcels vans, carriage trucks, and many other vehicles that work on passenger trains, with gold leaf, inasmuch as such vehicles are not washed, and the dirty condition completely hides the gold lining, and he proposed (and the Committee agreed) to only use gold leaf lining on the passenger carriages and guards vans". [P.E. Baughan, The Midland Railway North of Leeds (2e David & Charles, 1987)].

Edited by Compound2632

On 4 December 1891, Thomas Clayton, the Midland Railway's carriage superintendent, drew the attention of the Board's Carriage and Wagon Committee "to the uselessness of lining the parcels vans, carriage trucks, and many other vehicles that work on passenger trains, with gold leaf, inasmuch as such vehicles are not washed, and the dirty condition completely hides the gold lining, and he proposed (and the Committee agreed) to only use gold leaf lining on the passenger carriages and guards vans". [P.E. Baughan, The Midland Railway North of Leeds (2e David & Charles, 1987)].

Stephen,

does that mean they didn't line the NPCS at all, or possibly used a plain paint, much as the LNWR used gold on the dining saloons and other posh carriages, but "ochre" on normal stock?'

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Stephen,

does that mean they didn't line the NPCS at all, or possibly used a plain paint, much as the LNWR used gold on the dining saloons and other posh carriages, but "ochre" on normal stock?'

Jol

The evidence is that NPCS continued to be fully lined out as before; the colour is described as "yellow" [R.E. Lacy, in G. Dow, Midland Style (HMRS, 1975) p. 113]. 

As far as I can see, solebars and headstocks ceased to be lined out about the same time as they ceased to be lined out on passenger carriages - from c. 1902. I can't right now find the reference but I believe that, like the LNWR, gold leaf was only being used for dining carriages and suchlike by 1922; presumably this came in as a wartime economy. (Though solebars and headstocks went from plain red to black from 1912; this might go hand-in-hand with more economy in lining.)

Edited by Compound2632

A flurry of activity has seen the following finished (although I may have missed something!).

LNWR Jubilee. Built from a London Road Models kit with Sharman P4 wheels.

post-1191-0-03054800-1518725503_thumb.jpg

WCJS D56 42' Third. Built from Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides, with a LRM underframe and Brassmasters compensated bogies. This si part of a rake with a D10 twelve wheel diner, two more WCJS 42' carriages from Stevensons Carriages kits. A further set of 42' coach body etches for a Brake Third is on order from Worsley Works to complete the rake.

post-1191-0-60142100-1518725539_thumb.jpg

NER G1 (LNER D23). Built from a LRM kit and will run with a rake of five D&S NER clerestory carriages being buit by Richard McLachan.

post-1191-0-49671800-1518725387_thumb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A flurry of activity has seen the following finished (although I may have missed something!).

LNWR Jubilee. Built from a London Road Models kit with Sharman P4 wheels.

attachicon.gifJubilee assembled.jpg

WCJS D56 42' Third. Built from Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides, with a LRM underframe and Brassmasters compensated bogies. This si part of a rake with a D10 twelve wheel diner, two more WCJS 42' carriages from Stevensons Carriages kits. A further set of 42' coach body etches for a Brake Third is on order from Worsley Works to complete the rake.

attachicon.gifWCJS D56.jpg

NER G1 (LNER D23). Built from a LRM kit and will run with a rake of five D&S NER clerestory carriages being buit by Richard McLachan.

attachicon.gifG1 assembled.jpg

Wonderful stuff.  I know you're a North Western man, but I am particularly struck by that fine display of Wilson Worsdell's livery!

Only TW's was better!

Wonderful stuff.  I know you're a North Western man, but I am particularly struck by that fine display of Wilson Worsdell's livery!

Only TW's was better!

Thanks. I am not really satisfied but it was the first NER loco I have lined and was rather out of practise, especially in drawing the curved sections. Most of the lining I have done has been LNWR carriages, so mainly straight lines.

• Like 1

Still finding them :sungum: ,

ex GCR CCT - D&S brass kit. A great kit but mine came second hand and didn't have provision for a roof so I had to make my own from brass sheet.

16821326240_b30d06f29d_b.jpg

17008811225_52d2e7c963_b.jpg[/url]

Then back north of the border with an NBR Gas tank wagon built from a Dragon Models kit. Chris Basten was kind enough to sell me a second kit with an extra tank and fittings which will allow me to make a triple tanked version when I get to it.

14835915619_9b1d429a82_b.jpg

14999654556_c635d442b7_b.jpg

15014952721_9f829c523f_b.jpg

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1