BR Mk1 Underframes

Hi

I'm embarking on detailing some Bachmann MK1s (TSO, BSK, RMBs etc)  that were used in the late 80s/early 90s, mostly in NSE livery (and for good measure I have a couple in Regional Railways livery). My understanding is that Bachmann released the MK1 as vacuum braked, however for my era all were dual braked and had ETH equipment. My question is... if thats right where do all the bits go!

If anyone has some helpful diagrams/photos of the underframe that'll be a great help.

On the Web I've found photos of the carriage ends but not found anything that helps for the underframe.

cheers

Will

These photos of an O gauge model show most of the differences:

28186506912_4845097b59_o.jpgBR Mk1 RMB (Diagram 99) by Snaptophobic, on Flickr

The white vertical cylinder is the air brake distributor, these are available as white metal castings from Wizard Models. Some Bachmann models also include them (Mk1 Pullmans, one batch of Mk1 BGs). Silhouetted in the background, to the left, is an air brake cylinder.

28009049990_617eae02fd_o.jpgBR Mk1 RMB (Diagram 99) by Snaptophobic, on Flickr

From the other side of the coach you can also see this air brake cylinder. These were mounted on the coach centre line, near the bogies at each end. If you have any Bachmann Mk2A stock then these cylinders are included underneath. My photo below shows the air brake cylinders on a Mk2A and the vacuum brake cylinders on a Mk2Z for comparison :

post-7112-0-35354800-1516549021_thumb.jpg

Behind the air brake distributor is a quite large cylinder. This can, just, be seen in the first flickr photo and is also seen on the Mk2A underframe above and to the right of the right hand air brake cylinder.

28212197371_4a708cd4fc_o.jpgBR Mk1 RMB (Diagram 99) by Snaptophobic, on Flickr

This photo shows the eth plug and jumper, one at each end.

28186503472_cce716e280_o.jpgBR Mk1 RMB (Diagram 99) by Snaptophobic, on Flickr

Finally this photo shows the eth socket close to the left hand buffer.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 3

Be careful with Air Braked or dual braked vehicles the air brake cylinders move depending wether you have top or under pull brake rigging, plus the Southern used a centrally mounted air brake cylinder to operate the brake rigging.

There is also two basic types of air brake distributors, one with an integral air reservoir (Davis & Metcalf) and Westinghouse with large separate air reservoir ( two different sizes, long and short.

Also ETH dummy sockets move and can be vertical or on a slight angle.

Al Taylor

Be careful with Air Braked or dual braked vehicles the air brake cylinders move depending wether you have top or under pull brake rigging, plus the Southern used a centrally mounted air brake cylinder to operate the brake rigging.

There is also two basic types of air brake distributors, one with an integral air reservoir (Davis & Metcalf) and Westinghouse with large separate air reservoir ( two different sizes, long and short.

Also ETH dummy sockets move and can be vertical or on a slight angle.

Al Taylor

Thanks!

The more photos I study... the more confused I've become. Although Brian's photos look great so I'll use them as my basis for having a go,

cheers

Will

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to depress you but you do really need photos of the actual vehicle.

Also some dual braked vehicles are not obvious air except for the distributor.

Luckily I have found photos of 4 of the ones I am doing and two of them have the same type of air brakes.

A small cylinder roughly 9" diameter and long, mounted horizontally on a 9" square block where the vacuum cylinder was.

3mm in 4mm scale.

The other two are xD and centre mounted air cylinders.

Another one I found another of same lot and region so just assumed it would be done similarly to the two air braked catering cars.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to depress you but you do really need photos of the actual vehicle.

Also some dual braked vehicles are not obvious air except for the distributor.

Luckily I have found photos of 4 of the ones I am doing and two of them have the same type of air brakes.

A small cylinder roughly 9" diameter and long, mounted horizontally on a 9" square block where the vacuum cylinder was.

3mm in 4mm scale.

The other two are xD and centre mounted air cylinders.

Another one I found another of same lot and region so just assumed it would be done similarly to the two air braked catering cars.

Thanks Martin and all for your help...

I've started on bashing the underframe about a bit....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100546-wills-1990ish-projects/?p=3137435

If there is anything really wrong please let me know!!

cheers

Will

• 2 years later...

Rather a specific query - Mk1 BSKs rebuilt to NNX courier vans

From the TOPS code, these were/are dual braked. Can anyone advise what additional underframe gubbins was fitted when they were dual braked? I assume air tanks must have been fitted as well 

I have started work on an old Triang-Hornby BSK for the conversion , and I model in OO, so this isn't exactly going to be  high-end finescale. But when I reinstate the underframe detail  I'd prefer to do a reasonable representation of a dual-braked vehicle, rather than a representation of a vacuum-braked one

7 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Rather a specific query - Mk1 BSKs rebuilt to NNX courier vans

From the TOPS code, these were/are dual braked. Can anyone advise what additional underframe gubbins was fitted when they were dual braked? I assume air tanks must have been fitted as well 

I have started work on an old Triang-Hornby BSK for the conversion , and I model in OO, so this isn't exactly going to be  high-end finescale. But when I reinstate the underframe detail  I'd prefer to do a reasonable representation of a dual-braked vehicle, rather than a representation of a vacuum-braked one

When a vehicle is fitted with air brakes, the following items will be fitted, Distributor, reservoir, reservoir isolating cock, brake pressure limiting valve, pass comm emergency valve, appropriate pipe work, brake cylinders, a modified weighshafts, and on a brake vehicle a duplex gauge and emergency brake application valve in the van.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2021 at 19:24, 45125 said:

When a vehicle is fitted with air brakes, the following items will be fitted, Distributor, reservoir, reservoir isolating cock, brake pressure limiting valve, pass comm emergency valve, appropriate pipe work, brake cylinders, a modified weighshafts, and on a brake vehicle a duplex gauge and emergency brake application valve in the van.

Most of these will presumably be inside the van or small items not visible in 4mm scale . What are likely to be the main visible items on the underframe on a dual braked BSK? (which is what the NNX courier vans were converted from) 

The external items you would see on a 4mm model are the distibutor, the air reservoir, the brake cylinders and the pipework. The weighshaft can be seen this is the shaft the connects the brake cylinder air and vac to the brake rods and slack adjuster for the appropriate bogie, neither brake cylinder is directly directly fastened to the weighshaft but have a loose coupling. The air emergency valve would be seen next to the vacuum one at the toilet end just near the gangway.

Hope that helps.

Masokits masterbits item 10.08, BR Mk1 Coach Detailing. Kit provides a bunch of additional detailing, well worth it. Masokits also do a working Pullman gangway, which will work down to 3ft radius curves.

Regards