Witney Euston

mitziblue

will it be ready for Farnham on the 9th? - 5 weeks should be plenty long enough :lol:

Would be nice

But I still have to order the wheels and a worm set for it. worked out how to do the motor but where do you put that peskey decoder :angry:

Still, I intend to have it at the show even if it just sits at the end of a sideing. still have four coaches to finnish

one other engine to repair and a bit of track maintainance to do :( I think I need another holiday :lol:

Mark ;)

Hi

Oh here's a little pic of what I've been playing about with over the weekend.

post-7093-128379704201.jpg

Mark

That looks very neat work.

What do you mean, "shot down from 3mm"?

And what happened to the OF you were working on?

Out of interest:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10495-little-midland/page__st__150#entry208453

Regards,

chris

What do you mean, "shot down from 3mm"?

And what happened to the OF you were working on?

Hi Chris

The original kit was produced as a 3mm kit complete with castings. What I have is the brass etches shrunk down from the original artwork with no castings. This all got pushed forward due to misplacing the frames I had made for the outside frame loco and seeing photos of your excelent 1f, thankfully the frames have turned up again and I hope to have it built early next year.

Sorry I havn't answered your email yet, waiting to photo progress on the next carriage.

Mark ;)

Hi Mark, I would say that your 1F will look the business once detailed and painted. Its so much nicer than the Jinty type, in my opinion anyway, and you seem to be doing a great job there.

Don't fret about the carriage, but it would be nice to compare notes sometime, because I am also having trouble getting the association bogies+wheels to run freely - I think its down to my ignorance of what they should be like rather than soldering skill :(

Quite honestly I'm tempted to go back to pinching some farish bogies and adding conversion wheels from the shop, just to have 2 carriages ready to roll!

I would also be interested in seeing how you will build and motorise the 1F chassis.

Mine is finally beginning to run a bit easier though it will never be a crawler, unlike my Johnson class 2 goods loco, which runs smooth as silk with its Union Mills tender drive.

Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing your railway evolve.

N Gauge International show next weekend. Guess there won't be many 2mm folk there but I enjoyed it last year, so I'm going again Saturday! :)

Chris

Hi Chris

The original kit was produced as a 3mm kit complete with castings. What I have is the brass etches shrunk down from the original artwork with no castings. This all got pushed forward due to misplacing the frames I had made for the outside frame loco and seeing photos of your excelent 1f, thankfully the frames have turned up again and I hope to have it built early next year.

Sorry I havn't answered your email yet, waiting to photo progress on the next carriage.

Mark ;)

N Gauge International show next weekend. Guess there won't be many 2mm folk there but I enjoyed it last year, so I'm going again Saturday! :)

Chris

The 2mm Scale Association publicity stand will be at the N gauge show next weekend, and I expect there will be a few 2mm members visiting the show. I'll be helping man the stand on the Saturday and hopefully demonstrating some aspect of 2mm modelling.

(Sorry to hijack your thread Mark!) That half-cab looks nice - how did you do the coal rails on the bunker?

Andy

See you both on Saturday then will be coming with Steve Bedding.

The coal rails were part of the etch just need to pick up the rest of the fittings at the show.

Mark

Look forward to seeing you then. I should be around late morning-mid aftrnoon. Dropping the missus in Leamington en route to do some shopping, then staying over in town afterwards.

We made a weekend of it last year too.

When you say you used the original artwork - how did you come by it, and who did the etch for you?

Chris

When you say you used the original artwork - how did you come by it, and who did the etch for you?

I just bought the etch with an instruction sheet, it's the same as Judith Edge kits they are made to 4mm but he has reduced some down to 2mm. I have been dabling with cad drawings but nothing more complicated than a few wagons that are on my thread.

Will send you an email with my phone no tommorow so we can meet up.

Mark :)

• 1 month later...

Hi All

So where have i been for the last month and what have I been up to you may ask.

The truth is not much infact, nothing new at all.The 1F has gained the proper 9mm wheels thanks to Steve bedding and is in much the same state as last time a pic was posted. All my efforts have gone into preparing W E for its second show, a section of track was relaid and additional spraying done to the backscene also a new power supply was bought for the point motors and lighting rig which has really bought the layout to life.

So on to the show held at Aldershot by the Farnham and district model railway club. saturday morning I was met by my apprentice operator Steve (talk about the blind leading the blind) and the layout was set up in about half an hour, after bacon butties the track was cleaned and loaded with stock. Good still an hour untill the show opens time to teach Steve how to run the layout and controller "oh the engines don't want to run properly" :cray_mini2: after an hour just firing them up and down the layout they began to behave them self. By 11 o'clock the layout was running sweet and I was beginging to think I would enjoy operating this for two days unrortuantly Steve was enjoying it more (good for him) I did get to play when he had a dinner break or a fag the rest of the time I enjoyed talking to the public. what was the question they all asked without fail ah yes "How did you do the snow?". Plenty of invites to other shows were inquired about including one to Blackburn which could make for a fun weekend. after the show there was a gathering to anounce the most pleasing layout over a pint which I couldn't refuse only to find Witney took second place. So a fantastic first day.

post-7093-081938800 1286825581_thumb.jpg

With a new operator Trevor, day two started bad and got worse. engines were stutering all over the place and track cleaning wasn't helping advise was given from other layout operators and taken including the lending of track cleaning fluid but nothing helped. One of the engines threw a tantrum and ran away again like it did at the 2mm expo so that was out of action for a few hours. At dinner time Mr Brummitt apeared and was coaxed into looking after the layout while I had dinner on my return he had come to the conclusion dirty wheels were to blame. Cleaning the wheels with meths helped running a bit and i struggled on with the day.

post-7093-079478000 1286826537_thumb.jpg

the solution was found with a bit of double heading and the day steamed on to a close.

I would like to thank all those that helped me with the weekend and only hope you enjoyed it as much as me, without you the weekend would of been a struggle.

So this just leaves me sitting at my bench cleaning countless pairs of wheels and removing the loops from one end of my couplings as a single loop worked much better, all in preperation for W E,s next outing in two weeks time at Didcot and believe it or not I'm looking forward to it

leave you with a few more shots of the weekends action.

Mark

post-7093-018178100 1286827051_thumb.jpg

post-7093-063296700 1286827059_thumb.jpg

post-7093-046851000 1286827069_thumb.jpg

I can only add my agreement with Mark that the Saturday was fantastic - as the 'apprentice driver' I needed the practice/experience (well that's my excuse for not letting Mark play with his own layout...:P). However, I did let him have a go sometimes...

post-6085-057269900 1286828580_thumb.jpg

... that's him hiding behind the back-scene/lighting board - I'm sure that's a deliberate design consideration to make the operator anonymous! :D

My first experience of public viewing (from the other side so to speak) was enhanced by some of the soto voce comments heard...

• "...it's a bit bleak..." - well it is a winter scene!
  • "...it's not very busy..." - a single track BLT set around 1910 is not going to resemble Clapham Junction!

...and my favourite...

• Small girl - "...Mummy, where's Thomas?", distraught parent - "Who?" (She did come back later with her Dad and said it was her favourite layout :D)

• RMweb Gold

I thought the layout looked great despite a few teething troubles which have to be expected in the early life of a layout. We were next door at Andover with Highbury Colliery and Mark and Steve made excelant neighbours - and they didn't pinch my jelly babies!! Second place in the public vote was well deserved. Best of luck with the Didcot show in a couple of weeks. We have our penultimate outing of the year at the Uckfield show this weekend.

regards Jerry

http://www.jerrycliffordmodels.co.uk/

Mark,

Looks like you had a succesful weekend, and that you are becoming established on the chittlin' circuit, which is recognition of the skill and time you have put into creating a layout with a difference.

If you exhibit with a 50 mile rad of Bedford be sure to let me know - i'd love to come over and help run Witney.

That little 1F looks good sitting there in the siding by the way.

Still no passengers on your platform though - you dont need many in that wintry scene, but one or two would maybe add a bit of life?

I might have to send a few of my Edwardian folk along to catch a train and maybe help in the yard!

Chris

Sorry Chris

The engine in the siding is my 0-4-4 1P tank engine sent into the corner for misbehaving.

The 1F still loooks like this, a fair way to go yet

post-7093-065062700 1286912728_thumb.jpg

Did manadge to pick up a T C S Z2 chip for it thou which is small enough to fit between the frames

Extra detail on the layout is on hold at the mo while i sought out the final gremlins.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Extra detail on the layout is on hold at the mo while i sought out the final gremlins.

Hi Mark,

Good to see some more pics of the layout - Did you try that trick of rubbing graphite on the track as mentioned (I think) by Peter W at the 2FS Expo? Just a thought...

Pete

Did you try that trick of rubbing graphite on the track as mentioned (I think) by Peter W at the 2FS Expo?

Hi Pete

Havn't tried it as yet, Ido have trouble getting enough traction out of my four driving wheeled engines and graphite I feel would only make it worse.

Chris

Thanks for the praise all thou that photo of the engine shows there's still a lot of cleaning up to do. As to the Model Rail artical the features officer emailed me today to say it will run in the next issue,I take that will be the December one. Time to pull my finger out and make the final changes to the write up.

Mark B)

Guest Jim Read

Dear Mark and Pete,

You may see my earlier post about graphite further back in this thread.

I too thought that slippage would be a problem and so tried this, a couple of years ago, on a piece of test track to prove it to myself either way, to slip or not not to slip. The farty little loco is a diminutive 0 Gauge effort with Hornby 00 wheels, the drill is an old style one and quite heavy.

It was a case of I didn't think it would do it and was amazed when it did;

2gwey4l.jpg

No slippages at all, subsequently from taking my layout to several exhibitions I find that I don't need to clean the wheels of my locos, it also cleans the wagon wheels as well.

You can see the graphite block I use in the foreground.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for that Jim

Now all the exhibitions are out of the way for this year I will give it a go when the layout gets put together next time.

Ok so there was another show yesterday W E attended this time at Didcot. It was set up the night before which really seemed to of helped. Smooth slow runnig was obtained from the getgo but about three hours into the show both loco and track required cleaning. Hopefully this is just residue of the old dirt getting spread around and slowly everything will clean up. There are a couple of points which still need a bit of fettling as coaches and the ocaisional wagon were derailing over them.

the uncouplers have been strengthened with extra magnets and loops removed from one end of the D G couplings which now gives positive uncoupling.

Yet again plenty of people stopped to have a look and a chat which made for an enjoyable day (thankyou)

Steve helped to run the layout along with a new trainee operator his son and again I was pushed aside only getting abot a hour running in the day but this time Steve didn't fair much better as his son learnt the ropes.So with all this spare time and sugar levels high silly ###### became the name of the game after one person pointed out there was no snow on the wagon loads Steve found yhe only thing around to fit the bill, sugar dusted jelly babies of cause which also opened up a few shunting puzzles.

post-7093-039579500 1287946114_thumb.jpg

Then there was find the best place for Ted competition.

post-7093-014091700 1287946234_thumb.jpg

post-7093-070806600 1287946251_thumb.jpg

Now I don't know how others go to do these shows, but allthou I tried to run this resanably seriously we were there to enjoy our selfs. should I find another hobby? :P

Mark :D

• RMweb Gold

should I find another hobby? :P

Please don't Mark - for me, 2FS requires a certain sense of humour and besides at the end of the day its only toy trains :D

Perhaps you should remain the layout Wit-ney Euston? :P

No you shouldn't find another hobby....the whole point of doing one is to have fun and it doesn't have to be serious all the time:rolleyes: As for the teddy... I hope that Capt Ted will make visits as well to 'Smokey Bacon'!! Loved the comments and photos...Did you fix the coach I accidentally damaged?:(

Mark,

It was a pleasure talking to you at Farnham and I am glad the latest exhibition resulted in improved running for you. The graphite method Jim mentions works for me (in 009), but it is not that commonly used and probably depends on your willingness to accept rail heads that aren't shiny and people telling you that you need to clean the track!

I couldn't agree more that we should enjoy ourselves at exhibitions while putting on the best show we can. Dourness is not a pre-requisite of good modelling!

All the best, Julian

Archived