MGR Hooper!

Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Jo, the outers are £10 more than the inners so it's more a question of: how many inners can I get away with before it's no longer prototypical. At the moment, I'm running rakes of 10-12 wagons on Whatley so I'll probably just settle for a single pair of outers. I've got a couple of the Intercity Models outers to use too.

Guy

IMG_4005_web.jpg.884ff08c6036c4f0e052f82da66212c8.jpg

You do have a lovely layout, do you have a YouTube channel to follow?...lol I sound like a stalker :jester:

Edited by classy52

On 27/05/2020 at 12:40, Steadfast said:

Something that may be of interest to others, I've knocked together a small table giving some sample formations of Mendip workings that mix boxes and hoppers. By no means is this conclusive, but it gives a taste of how you can mix boxes and hoppers. It also shows that we really need some other wagon types to run mixed with the Revolution HOA and JNAs. The Dapol JHAs will be a good start, but we could do with more boxes!  I've included the portion sizes, as it shows that you don't need a massive 40 wagon train to be prototypical, once the train gets to London it splits in to 2 or 3 bits, the smallest portion being 10 wagons. Equally, the Fareham, Botley and Woking are all smaller trains.

MendipJumboFormations.jpg.36b7c0bb9bbf3a23ad74189c56aa477b.jpg

Jo

Thanks for that Steadfast, knew about the Fareham, Eastleigh and Botley trains as they are local to me, good to have the rough consists of the other trains though, thanks.

• Like 1

I see that the Woking Merehead run now has red Toax' jna mixed in with 1998 Mrl jna these last few weeks. About half and half. 

The red Toaux boxes are getting mixed into everything. Normally there's a lot of rotation of wagons, but in the last month or so sets have stuck to the same trips generally, presumably due to reduced demand with coronavirus meaning wagons can afford to sit and wait to reload for the next trip to that depot, rather than being reloaded for the next trip to depart Merehead.

The Woking has generally been formed of 17 of the new Ealnos JNAs, mainly Touax, with a few silver VTG ones, but there was once or twice that a right mish mash of wagons went on it, including Touax ones and the old O&Ks, along with the Nacco JNAs.

Jo

On 30/05/2020 at 21:26, Steadfast said:

The red Toaux boxes are getting mixed into everything. Normally there's a lot of rotation of wagons, but in the last month or so sets have stuck to the same trips generally, presumably due to reduced demand with coronavirus meaning wagons can afford to sit and wait to reload for the next trip to that depot, rather than being reloaded for the next trip to depart Merehead.

The Woking has generally been formed of 17 of the new Ealnos JNAs, mainly Touax, with a few silver VTG ones, but there was once or twice that a right mish mash of wagons went on it, including Touax ones and the old O&Ks, along with the Nacco JNAs.

Jo

I really wish everyone would stop calling them 'red' Toaux wagons.... They just look brown to me, lol.

I noticed a youtube video the other day with 59002 pulling a rake of brand new hopper wagons, also in the Toaux livery. Im not sure what they were though, im tempted to say HOI hoppers but I don't think they were?

If we're talking personal opinions I'd say they're red oxide, especially before Merehead and Whatley chuck their produxt down the sides of them. But if you want to say brown, they're a very red brown, if they are brown. 

The new hoppers are TOPS coded HOA, but are fundamentally the same design as the earlier Nacco IIA wagons. They appear to be identical, apart from paint, to the VTG HOAs delivered last year (the unpainted ones, not the ones Revolution have done)

Jo

Forgot to upload these at the time but they were taken back at Warley 2019 on my phone so apologies for the low quality ...

359933C8-068C-45B8-9908-D3B4A3517195.jpeg

3DE6BB04-1FF3-48A5-B83E-2816E732911A.jpeg

4C561FA7-3F66-4486-B20C-A849B5FFA974.jpeg

05B01D73-2370-4ED4-90A6-07E915920A86.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1