Tests with my new 3D printer

That stepping does look awfully large/pronounced on that model I have to say. Given the 10mm squares on the cutting mat.

You do get stepping as it is unavoidable as the model is built in layers (step size has a direct relationship with layer thickness, which can be set in the software).

If you look at my first post on page 1 the DS9 runabout was only 65mm long altogether and you can see how small the steps are on that as a comparison.

Edited by RBE

IPA is hard to come buy in cheap bulk quantities here in Oz 

Try Glendale Packaging who sell it in 1, 4, 20, 200 and 1000 litre quantities. I bought a 1 litre bottle for $7 from my local hardware store not that long ago. Bunnings charge $26 for half that quantity of Diggers IPA.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Bearing in mind this is coming from someone with minimal experience in this modern technology type stuff, but aren't you re-inventing the wheel by printing things like window frames, wouldn't a silhouette type cutter be better.

I realise that you can't just buy machinery willy nilly, and that you are using what you've got, but IMHO knife cut flat objects such as frames look a lot crisper.

Mike.

Impressive prints with respect to quality and very informative discussion!

Redpiperbob, did i read correctly that the furniture, windows, walls and roof sections were printed on a Prusa mk2? I am referring to posts #57 and #59.

Hi  there

yes these were all printed on a Original Prusa i3 MK2.

Duncan I will email you the update STL's for the Scammel later today

All the best

Bob

Bearing in mind this is coming from someone with minimal experience in this modern technology type stuff, but aren't you re-inventing the wheel by printing things like window frames, wouldn't a silhouette type cutter be better.

I realise that you can't just buy machinery willy nilly, and that you are using what you've got, but IMHO knife cut flat objects such as frames look a lot crisper.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

The added extra that 3D printing brings to things like window frames is, well, 3D.

Silhouette cutouts are flat, whereas I want multi levels of frames, bars, sills etc.

I know one could cut the layers on a silhouette and laminate them together and it may well be crisper, but you work with what you've got. I'd like a silhouette but can't justify another machine ;-)

• Like 1

Here's Bob's Scammell, printed on my Anycubic Photon.

post-2189-0-81391300-1536061178_thumb.jpg

It's had a little bit of cleaning up to remove the supports that were necessary. It will need a bit more careful sanding before priming and painting.

post-2189-0-58049900-1536061511_thumb.png

The roof has no layer lines and you can even see the 8 facets that make up the curve! The radiator grilles are also (only just) visible.

There is a bit of patterning on some panels, but nothing that a quick sand won't remove.

The fragile front bumper did break off as I was cleaning it up, so had to be glued back on.

Great little model though. Thanks Bob!

(Got a trailer for it ? ;-)

• Like 3

Looks good. I reckon you could print that without the supports on top of the bonnet as the print angle of othe the bonnet and the window looks enough to print without support.

Probably, yes. I ran the .photon file through Photon File Validator and it did whinge about the unsupported horizontal window bar, so I manually added the extra bonnet supports.

The bonnet is quite accessible for gentle sanding to remove the stubs of the supports.

Supurb. Love the crease in his shin.

What scale is the man?

0 scale (1:43).

I bought a pack of 200 STL files for 3D figures, which were natively about 1:20 and scaled them to produce people about 1:43. I did it by adjusting the scaling factor in TinkerCAD until an average bloke was about 5' 10" tall (40mm in 0 scale).

This may be a bit big for the 1962 era that I model but the next batch can be a bit smaller.

Some figures are obviously modern era (the girl glued to her mobile phone!) but many are usable and, IMHO, much better proportioned than most whitemetal figures you can buy, which all seem to have Bloaty Head Syndrome.

• Like 1

Looks good to me. :)

Are the items you brought allowed to be sold or not? We could add them to our online stores if they were.

I know some items are allowed to be re-sold and some are not and it is something I wish not to breach.

Either way could you please reveal where it was from as I'd like to print some stuff for myself either way.

Figure looks great from here.

Edited by Knuckles

I got the STLs here:

https://www.bypeople.com/low-poly-3d-models-people-3ds-obj-fbx-stl/

Cost $29.

One thing to note is that the figures you get aren't exactly what is in the website pictures. They are similar, and some are exactly the same, but most are not as shown. That didn't bother me though, as the vast majority of the figures are usable.

They are "low-poly" figures and probably show facets if printed full size. When scaled down to 1:43 (or even better in 1:76) the facets disappear.

Edited by Fastdax

I got the STLs here:

https://www.bypeople.com/low-poly-3d-models-people-3ds-obj-fbx-stl/

Cost $29.

One thing to note is that the figures you get aren't exactly what is in the website pictures. They are similar, and some are exactly the same, but most are not as shown. That didn't bother me though, as the vast majority of the figures are usable.

They are "low-poly" figures and probably show facets if printed full size. When scaled down to 1:43 (or even better in 1:76) the facets disappear.

There is never an end to the toys you need.....

• Like 1

So I finally unpacked mine, poured some resin in and printed out the test cube successfully...

Wanting to see the detail possible I found a fairly detailed .stl file on scantheworld.com..

post-22541-0-48099800-1537006353.jpg

Resized it to 40mm high and created a file with 2 copies - one standing upright and the other lying on its back to test if there was a difference in resolution between the xy and the z axes.

The resulting two prints are here side by side and I can't tell the difference, other than if I print it lying down it takes about 45 minutes, standing up takes about 4 hours...

Really amazed with the level  of detail printed, for example the links in the chain on the side of the print are less than 0.5mm each.

(I just noticed that Iseem to have managed to accidentally put some kind of  dazzle filter on, causing those light pinpoints..)

post-22541-0-74252600-1537006593_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-32134700-1537006655_thumb.jpg

• Like 7