Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I seem to rember hearing the first batches of the class 73 that Dapol did had issues with the main circuit board and lighting aswell and also pickups. And for the batch that came out not long ago a new board was created and all those issues fixed. I have every faith hattons will get it spot on for the large light 66s on future batches. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

it is just a shame that the product can't be kept and a replacement circuit board, or chassis sent out to customers, as per Dapol did with the DRS 68.

it seems a shame binning a lot of good running models.

I wonder if the damaged / returned ones could be sold on the cheap as seconds to people who would like to run then without the lights, motors etc for DIT or TnT train, or static on shed.

22 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

it is just a shame that the product can't be kept and a replacement circuit board, or chassis sent out to customers, as per Dapol did with the DRS 68.

I wonder if the damaged / returned ones could be sold on the cheap as seconds to people who would like to run then without the lights, motors etc for DIT or TnT train, or static on shed.

If they bin them, I think they’ll go bust ! They’d be sent back to the vendor for rework or refund I’d think 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

5 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

If they bin them, I think they’ll go bust ! They’d be sent back to the vendor for rework or refund I’d think 

More likely, they'll be sold on to customers who aren't so concerned. That's not a criticism, just a statement of life, commerce, and the any hobby.

Edited by truffy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

I'd be amazed if any get binned. They'll probably all be sold as long as it takes to do so, even if they end up discounting them after a while.

Some people will buy these and never notice anything wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

34 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'd be amazed if any get binned. They'll probably all be sold as long as it takes to do so, even if they end up discounting them after a while.

Some people will buy these and never notice anything wrong.

but they will have to list them as having defects, such as the lights, and the massive glue splash on the bogie of 66789 that I had

9 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

but they will have to list them as having defects, such as the lights, and the massive glue splash on the bogie of 66789 that I had

Glue splashes won't be listed individually in the same way as when you bought yours it won't have been?

I aren't sure the lighting issue is something that would need to be listed as a defect, they can change the description of the product to explain the functions instead.

In the same way as any other locos (and there are loads) that don't match prototype don't have clauses in listings explaining so.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Once again thanks to Hattons Dave for the information concerning both the lighting and the livery issues. 

It’s been mentioned a couple of pages back on this thread that most of the sound fitted versions are now marked “Sold out on pre-order” on the Hattons website.

I wonder if it can be confirmed by Dave whether some of these sold out sound fitted versions will become available again at a later date?

Edited by Dicky L
  • Like 1

Any chance of a step by step guide to the lighting mod? I know a link was posted with some ideas on it, but this was to a Bachmann Freightliner class 70. Then can see if it can be attempted.

It is worth noting that the Bachmann 66 is at a similar price level and has never had working lights lit up in the correct set up - ever.... (just saying that as a matter of perspective)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thanks for keeping the questions coming in, I hope the below helps.

Will damaged/returned locomotives be sold at a reduced price?

We don’t have any plans to put damaged or returned as faulty locomotives up for sale.

Will more sound-fitted models be made available at a later date?

If a model is marked on the website as “Sold out on pre-order” then we have completely pre-sold the quantity that we are receiving with factory fitted sound and will not receive any more for general sale.

We will have a small amount of Sure Sound decoders with Rail Rumble speakers available to purchase separately for people who would like to enhance a Digital Ready or Digital Fitted version of a particular locomotive. If you would like to add one of these decoders to a non-sound version then you can get in touch with our Helpdesk on 0151 733 3655.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Any chance of a step by step guide to the lighting mod? I know a link was posted with some ideas on it, but this was to a Bachmann Freightliner class 70. Then can see if it can be attempted.

It is worth noting that the Bachmann 66 is at a similar price level and has never had working lights lit up in the correct set up - ever.... (just saying that as a matter of perspective)

Bachmann one isn’t really at same price, they were “ having a laugh “, new releases come in at £123 that I’ve seen.

surely we are looking for some progress over a 15 year old tooling here ?

4 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Will more sound-fitted models be made available at a later date?

If a model is marked on the website as “Sold out on pre-order” then we have completely pre-sold the quantity that we are receiving with factory fitted sound and will not receive any more for general sale.

We will have a small amount of Sure Sound decoders with Rail Rumble speakers available to purchase separately for people who would like to enhance a Digital Ready or Digital Fitted version of a particular locomotive. If you would like to add one of these decoders to a non-sound version then you can get in touch with our Helpdesk on 0151 733 3655.

Cheers,

Dave

Ok the ship has sailed on getting 66789 with factory fitted sound thus its time to bite the bullet and get the DCC Ready version of the BR Blue Large Logo and get sound retro fitted down the track...I really wanted this loco with factory fitted sound but obviously didn't realise they would sell out :fool:

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Bachmann one isn’t really at same price, they were “ having a laugh “, new releases come in at £123 that I’ve seen.

surely we are looking for some progress over a 15 year old tooling here ?

Bachmann have dropped their price to come under the Hattons. Last year they were about 135 for some.

Yes we are looking for progress and its regrettable that the Hattons 66 has this lighting issue - but many of the variants are working fine. The standard of the model overall is excellent judging by impressions made. Im sure this will be fixed and then Hattons producing a reliable and excellent model. Given the sound versions have sold out there is a lot of faith and promise in the model. Just think that some comments have been overtly critical and although I understand it all should be working, its something that can be overcome after the first batch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Ok the ship has sailed on getting 66789 with factory fitted sound thus its time to bite the bullet and get the DCC Ready version of the BR Blue Large Logo and get sound retro fitted down the track...I really wanted this loco with factory fitted sound but obviously didn't realise they would sell out :fool:

Not the only one, although my aims were heading for an EWS one and 66957 as that was named near me at Shildon.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just to confirm your statement in regards to your Sure Sound decoders with Rail Rumble speakers, you state there is a small amount remaining to purchase thus does this mean if Hattons sell out on these then that's it no more or will you have a regular supply of them going forward for anyone to purchase separately in the future?

If you could confirm on this that would be most helpful.

Regards

Steve

Edited by classy52

2 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Hi Dave,

Just to confirm your statement in regards to your Sure Sound decoders with Rail Rumble speakers, you state there is a small amount remaining to purchase thus does this mean if Hattons sell out on these then that's it no more or will you have a regular supply of them going forward for anyone to purchase separately in the future?

If you could confirm your position on this that would be most helpful.

Regards

Steve

Sure Sound & Rail Rumble are Hattons product names for products otherwise known as Legomanbiffo projects with EM2 speakers.

• Informative/Useful 1

Looking on the DC kits/legomanbiffo website, you canbuy the sound chip (not checked the speaker) directly from them 

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=1639

Looks like there's a slight price premium compared to what Hattons may be charging. Certainly more than the difference between DC and factory fitted sound

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Sure Sound & Rail Rumble are Hattons product names for products otherwise known as Legomanbiffo projects with EM2 speakers.

Yes I do know that but that wasn't what I was asking, just want to know if they will have a regular supply to sell to customers going forward which I am sure they will but their statement about having a small amount atm is a bit ambiguous thus just seeking clarity.

16 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Looking on the DC kits/legomanbiffo website, you canbuy the sound chip (not checked the speaker) directly from them 

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=1639

Looks like there's a slight price premium compared to what Hattons may be charging. Certainly more than the difference between DC and factory fitted sound

I'm not sure about the price premium over Hattons, for the Hattons Decoder & speakers set supplied I was quoted £130.00.

Edited by classy52

9 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Exactly. In my opinion it's far more annoying not being able to switch the train end off than the markers not quite being correct. If the two Bachmann 66s I had weren't sought after ones (Evening Star and Harry Beck) I'd mod them to have the switchable lighting TBH. I am considering doing my Bachmann 37s.

2 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Are Hattons at Model Rail Scotland this weekend,would be nice to see some production batch models in the flesh

Would be nice to see the later additions like Cemex and As One we Can before the postie has to lug them up my footpath.

Sounds like you have the same two on order as me!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Hi Dave,

If you could confirm on this that would be most helpful.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

We currently have a set amount of decoders on order. If we see that there is sufficient demand to re-stock these or keep them permanently stocked then we’ll definitely look to do so.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1