GCR Model Event 2018 15/16/17 June

Hairy Bear Digital

It was my first visit to the GCR and I had a great day, it was enjoyable riding along the line which had a proper mainline feel.

Then some top modelling in the marquee, including several layouts I had never seen before.

The only downside was lack of time, I could have spent two days at the event.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Wow, did I ache this morning. After four days a Quorn I can now relax a bit and get back to nice green engines, not the dull black, especially as I've had an e-mail from Hattons.

Operating Ambleside all weekend didn't give me chance for a proper look at the other layouts but that is always the case as an exhibitor.

A couple of photos of Ambleside.

post-22878-0-15937700-1529323751_thumb.jpg

post-22878-0-15937700-1529323751_thumb.jpg

Still a lot of work to do on the layout, but I hope we put on a decent show.

PS Postman just arrived with a box from Hattons, must go now!

Brian

• Like 6

A very good show.  I have to say I concentrated on Quorn where they have achieved the near ideal of level connected large halls.  As someone who visits lots of shows I was surprised at the number of "new" exhibits I had not seen before.  Many others were better displayed (natural daylight).  So very good.  

Appreciated the trolling of a DMU with "Windermere" on the destination blinds.

The catering was on the pricey side though £7.50 for burger and chips.  BYO next year I think. 

This is one event that one cannot afford to miss, value for money wise it is a no brainer.

Where else can over 70 excellent layouts and 50 well mixed traders be seen with three mainline steam engines, two diesels and a DMU on a very frequent timetable for a bargain £20 for a full days entertainment.

It becomes even more financially attractive when one considers that the normal runabout fare is £17 with only two steamers and one diesel on a reduced timetable effectively making the show £3.00 for the Quorn marquees and the Loughborough/Rothley station exhibits.

Personal favourites were Oakenshaw, Ambleside, Buxworth and Hassel Hill Colliery whilst all remaining layouts not mentioned were worth a second viewing.

All in all a brilliant event for which the two responsible organisations (GCR & SVMRC) must be congratulated, roll on next year.

Michael

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Disappointed there was not a picture of the Red King!

Andy, it was good to have a chat with you but it's a castle. It did attract a fair bit of interest, along with the polar bear, so I will try and find a picture. Not tonight we are supposed to be putting the layout back up.

Brian.

• Like 1

Andy, it was good to have a chat with you but it's a castle. It did attract a fair bit of interest, along with the polar bear, so I will try and find a picture. Not tonight we are supposed to be putting the layout back up.

Brian.

Sorry I meant castle! Senility setting in. 

I thought it was a nice model - some rivet counters may not have agreed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A very good show.  I have to say I concentrated on Quorn where they have achieved the near ideal of level connected large halls.  As someone who visits lots of shows I was surprised at the number of "new" exhibits I had not seen before.  Many others were better displayed (natural daylight).  So very good.  

Appreciated the trolling of a DMU with "Windermere" on the destination blinds.

The catering was on the pricey side though £7.50 for burger and chips.  BYO next year I think. 

Fish finger butty at £4.50 was great snap with tartare sauce....

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Likewise, Lord Bullock of Abbotswood, it was very nice to see you behind a strange layout.

My favorite Deltic when I was spotting was St Paddy, so for years I have waited for it to be made by Bachmann, but not with a full yella end, just a nice small panel. I could renumber a loco with a small yellow panel, but all the ones I have are ones with regimental nameplates printed on and I doubt i would be able to remove them or paint over them successfully and a full repaint I might as well by any Deltic. Moan over.

A strange layout? Hee hee it was certainly very clean.....

As for D9001 not sure I am happy with the Bachmann numbers...

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/32-533_3140739_Qty1_2.jpg

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Kgv6xkKG&id=71962C8BCB60593F12A6C8E5242C19664C6C4C92&thid=OIP.Kgv6xkKGbCTCsXoqW_UfbAHaE6&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2f736x%2f9d%2fdf%2f78%2f9ddf781e875829b9a36fdb9c5ee46043.jpg&exph=489&expw=736&q=d9001+deltic&simid=608051055182678344&selectedIndex=7&ajaxhist=0

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Evening All 

Enjoyed all layouts , hard to give one that was best , But Six Quarters , did for me , small and simple , but with plenty of atmosphere . 

All in all , tired after three days , but worth it , 

Tried all three of the caravan food outlets , but the winner was the Butler Henderson cafe , good food and nice service .

• Like 1

‘Strange’?, well if you mean a current modern image layout on the circuit then OK ;)

‘Clean’? Phil, I expected better from you, particularly as you won’t let James weather your Blue Pullman :) lol

Edited by SteveC32

• RMweb Gold

Think if had been in that marquee for a couple more days it would not have looked so clean Steve! But as you explained to several viewers its that way for a reason .....

And looks great that way too

As for the Blue Pullman - D1733 is also banned from the weathering works !

Phil

• Like 1

If the residents of Oakenshaw (the fictional one) passed through Readham they'd probably be flabbergasted at how clean the place is! "In Yorksher, it's barmy cleanin' summit that'll get mucky again by teatime."

That said, the grounds team do a good job in keeping Ampleforth clean...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As requested a picture of Elizabethan Castle.

post-22878-0-74675600-1529394980_thumb.jpg

I did this many years ago when there were several serious LMS modellers in the club and I was one of a couple of GWR modellers. What prompted me to do the model was reading O S Nock's Stars, Castles and Kings and the visit of Launceston Castle to the LMS and their request to buy some. We have a copy of the relevant passage to show disbelievers.

Why didn't I paint the reversing lever?

When we had another layout on display we had one of those visitors who knew it all and was telling us all sorts of things that were wrong so we asked him to look at the shed, he didn't notice the castle.

Brian

• Like 5

Hello 88C. Now I've worked out who you are from the above post I can abuse you at will on rmweb, without having to wait for shows to do it in person. No doubt you can now picture me as the person who absolutely loves the abomination that you have created above. Take this, you bounder -  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet: