Jump to content

Ron Ron Ron

Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

Recommended Posts

With steam heat if you were lucky and manicured embankments...kids today! 

 

C6T. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, iands said:

"Newbie's" with little or no experience perhaps?

 

PS - I should add that this is not a criticism of any particular individual, just an observation on my part  - we have all been "new with little or no experience" at some point in our lives.

I think the issue isn't helped by the fragmentation of the industry and modern career paths meaning that when a new train is introduced no one involved had anything to do with any previous new train introduction.

 

And the ROSCOs having new contracts to honour for the old units - if they were off to the scrappers then extending the lease for a few months would be a viable option.

 

But I'm still sure it'll be worth it when they settle down.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree however that the new units are better,  I'm dreading the day I have to go to London on one the seats are awful, far too upright 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pete 75C said:

 

We will have to agree to disagree. Sick and tired of being dazzled by them in the wet - they're way too bright.

 

Back on topic - I know in my little neck of the woods (Bittern line), social media dissent is growing amidst all the late-running and cancellations. A particular bugbear is the termination of trains at Cromer to try and get them back on time. Not hugely helpful for those of us that live beyond Cromer. Those that were vocal against the old 153s and 156s are now moaning their loss, as they were at least generally reliable. It would seem that you can't please anyone any of the time...

 

Most of the (current) issues twixt Cromer and Sheringham are down to level crossing issues, outwith the new units.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone is telling the truth at last.............

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/not-enough-greater-anglia-trains-1-6409504

 

Having had my first ride on the things today, I'm not impressed with the seating at all, and certainly wouldn't want to travel in them on a regular basis......

Annoying, because the ride quality and noise levels (away from the "power pack") are excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Someone is telling the truth at last.............

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/not-enough-greater-anglia-trains-1-6409504

 

Having had my first ride on the things today, I'm not impressed with the seating at all, and certainly wouldn't want to travel in them on a regular basis......

Annoying, because the ride quality and noise levels (away from the "power pack") are excellent.

 

Note that they mention that the 'old train' has a fault causing all the problems. No mention of the fact that the new ones barely get through a full day without failing and apart from the one with the damaged pantograph there's another parked up after a major engine failure.

Very selective 'truth' about the Basils and Sybil's.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Three consecutive departures from Lowestoft cancelled on the East Suffolk line this morning (0614, 0641, 0727) by the look of it amongst those, as one (0641) is being started from Saxmundham (and doesn't appear in their "cancellations" list!), so that is near enough a 4 hour gap in the up line timetable north of Saxmundham.

Thought it was quiet today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, beast66606 said:

 

Most of the (current) issues twixt Cromer and Sheringham are down to level crossing issues, outwith the new units.

 

Yeah, as I tried explaining but I gave up. To most people, if their train doesn't arrive, it's the train's fault - end of. Head ----->>> brick wall.

  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, russ p said:

I don't agree however that the new units are better,  I'm dreading the day I have to go to London on one the seats are awful, far too upright 

 

I guess it's a case of "you can't please everybody all of the time".....

 

I find the new units to be really rather good and very comfortable. Different shape bodies maybe? And that's before we get into the extra capacity provided on lines like the Felixstowe Line.  They're night and day better IMHO.

 

Would I prefer 37s and the short set on the Wherry Lines? Of course but things move on. Nothing can stop that...

Edited by admiles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/12/2019 at 16:42, stewartingram said:

That's the ME attitude that is so prevalent today I'm afraid.

 

Stewart

 

So what would you like me to do?  Scrap a perfectly good car because you don't like it's headlights? Not buy it in the first place?

 

Please explain how that's a "ME attitude"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admiles said:

 

So what would you like me to do?  Scrap a perfectly good car because you don't like it's headlights? Not buy it in the first place?

 

Please explain how that's a "ME attitude"...

I'm not going to get in a slanging match here, but the attitude of them "being perfectly ok for me" shows no regard for others.

Personally, I've been driving since 1/67, and never found a problem with halogen headlights with the car being driven within its safe limits. As far as modern cars go, I wouldn't touch any on the road today with a bargepole. My car is an 05 plate Rover 75 - which I regard as modern, though the design is from the late 90s. It is, by my standards, a very complex car. I have always done my own maintenance (everything) and intend to keep it. It has halogen bulbs. So my choice is: mot buy a car with features I don't like.

I also have an eye problem, following an operation many years ago. My left eye does not close down properly in bright light conditions so the effect of these unneccesssary bright lights is exacerbated .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I'm not going to get in a slanging match here, but the attitude of them "being perfectly ok for me" shows no regard for others.

Personally, I've been driving since 1/67, and never found a problem with halogen headlights with the car being driven within its safe limits. As far as modern cars go, I wouldn't touch any on the road today with a bargepole. My car is an 05 plate Rover 75 - which I regard as modern, though the design is from the late 90s. It is, by my standards, a very complex car. I have always done my own maintenance (everything) and intend to keep it. It has halogen bulbs. So my choice is: mot buy a car with features I don't like.

I also have an eye problem, following an operation many years ago. My left eye does not close down properly in bright light conditions so the effect of these unneccesssary bright lights is exacerbated .

No slanging match involved I can assure you but as you totally failed to answer any of the questions I asked I'll try again.  You accused me of having a "ME attitude". I'd like to know why please?  Yes I did say I don't have a problem with LED/Xenon headlights and I don't. That doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for anyone with Adie-Syndrome (my mother suffers from this) or similar......

 

But I'll ask you again. Am I not to buy a certain car because it has LED/Xenon headlights? I don't design them like that, the manufacturers do. Just because you prefer (as you're quite entitled to do) drive an older car does that mean we all have to? Things move on technology changes and evolves and in this case improves.  That it causes a small minority of people such as yourself problems is unfortunate but you can't expect progress to just stop. It won't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2019 at 10:45, The Stationmaster said:

Most modern trains are highly software dependent and you will only find some of the software bugs once the train is in service (another reason for having spare capacity) but then you need to get your software updates performed in a way which at least matches your service use build-up of the fleet.  If you don't then you can end up cancelling trains.

 

I don't see new trains having problems once they enter public service as particularly unusual nowadays because of their complexity and that heavy reliance on software.

That assumes the software can and will be updated. If you want to know why managers who lack experience or understanding of complex projects and software are a dangerous combo, just look at what has happened in the aviation industry recently. Fortunately with trains they generally just stop (assume no braking software issues I guess, although there was that issue in Edinburgh recently....).

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, admiles said:

No slanging match involved I can assure you but as you totally failed to answer any of the questions I asked I'll try again.  You accused me of having a "ME attitude". I'd like to know why please?  Yes I did say I don't have a problem with LED/Xenon headlights and I don't. That doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for anyone with Adie-Syndrome (my mother suffers from this) or similar......

 

But I'll ask you again. Am I not to buy a certain car because it has LED/Xenon headlights? I don't design them like that, the manufacturers do. Just because you prefer (as you're quite entitled to do) drive an older car does that mean we all have to? Things move on technology changes and evolves and in this case improves.  That it causes a small minority of people such as yourself problems is unfortunate but you can't expect progress to just stop. It won't.

I would point out that many of the retro fitted brighter lights were/are not type approved nor road legal, which is one of the reasons for these problems. They are readily available to buy and fit as replacements for halogens despite not being legal to use on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

I would point out that many of the retro fitted brighter lights were/are not type approved nor road legal, which is one of the reasons for these problems. They are readily available to buy and fit as replacements for halogens despite not being legal to use on the road.

 

I quite agree they're a bl**dy meance and anyone using them on the road should have the book thrown firmly at them. I'd still contend that factory fitted auto-leveling Xenon and LED headlights in modern cars are less likely to cause issues than badly adjusted or fitted halogen bulbs in older cars.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a lot moving in the way of trains on the GA "rural" routes this morning - allegedly due to track circuiting problems with the new trains, according to a post on WNXX.

EMT appear to be able to run Norwich-Ely, but not GA..........

What a complete farce!

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Not a lot moving in the way of trains on the GA "rural" routes this morning - allegedly due to track circuiting problems with the new trains, according to a post on WNXX.

EMT appear to be able to run Norwich-Ely, but not GA..........

What a complete farce!

 

95 cancellations as of 06:45

 

*Apparentlly* the new trains are having issues operating the track circuits which - of course - means the service has to be suspended for safety reasons. I don't have any more info yet but this comes from a signaller in the area although he did warn it was his understanding of the situation.

 

Slightly worrying that the service will collapse each time we get ice over the winter as well.

 

EMR 158s don't have any such problems so can run.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke to one of the relief siggys from that way yesterday and its an interesting issue. The crossings on the way to Cromer don't have treadles, nor do they operate on normal track circuits. They apparently operate on 'decreasing voltage' circuits, ie as the train gets closer to the crossing the voltage in the track circuit gets less, finally getting to a critical value when the crossing operates. Now this works very well with the existing units, but it would appear that these are a lot more light footed, and so don't actually get seen all the time by the circuits. 20mph ESRs and local control are the net result of this issue for the minute, which is both expensive and a pain in the Harris for the signalman.....

 

Andy g

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I spoke to one of the relief siggys from that way yesterday and its an interesting issue. The crossings on the way to Cromer don't have treadles, nor do they operate on normal track circuits. They apparently operate on 'decreasing voltage' circuits, ie as the train gets closer to the crossing the voltage in the track circuit gets less, finally getting to a critical value when the crossing operates. Now this works very well with the existing units, but it would appear that these are a lot more light footed, and so don't actually get seen all the time by the circuits. 20mph ESRs and local control are the net result of this issue for the minute, which is both expensive and a pain in the Harris for the signalman.....

 

Andy g

 

A-N-Onymous (name kept out of here) said the whole Stadler fleet has been pulled pending mods - I'm guessing the few services which are running are 156s.

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received an RAIB notification regarding a near miss at Norwich Road level crossing on 24/11/2019 involving a 755. Sounds a bit scary but perhaps explains the reason for the fleet suspension. 

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iands said:

Just received an RAIB notification regarding a near miss at Norwich Road level crossing on 24/11/2019 involving a 755. Sounds a bit scary but perhaps explains the reason for the fleet suspension. 


https://www.gov.uk/government/news/near-miss-at-norwich-road-level-crossing

 

Yikes :o

Edited by ruggedpeak
spacing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in answer to the question on another thread about the IEP incident at Leeds, yes the government does still function appropriately during an Election period - fleet suspended it would appear.

Edited by woodenhead
altered big G to little g.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Government doesn't stop working during election "purdah", it is simply not supposed to make 'political', controverisal or long term decisions that might bind a future government to do something it might not want to e.g. signing controversial large contracts. Business as usual is supposed to continue as usual.

 

https://www.local.gov.uk/our-support/pre-election-period

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beast66606 said:

 

A-N-Onymous (name kept out of here) said the whole Stadler fleet has been pulled pending mods - I'm guessing the few services which are running are 156s.

 

(Sort of) confirmed by a VSTP Norwich - Cambridge and back service in the hands of 156402

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2019 at 23:14, ess1uk said:

Thought it was quiet today 

 

If you thought yesterday was quiet .... ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.