1 hour ago, KNP said:

Nice picture but I'm looking at that lovely house with the unusual curved wall, roof detail and guttering sweeping around the corner.

Now if you modelled that most people would say, never in a million years!!!!!

but

somewhere

out there

is always an example of the unusual...

A prototype for everything!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ah well that all depends upon your interpretation of the word quick. Obviously Wilkinson's definition is not as quick as yours.:D

You’re quite right, perhaps Wilko thinks a couple of hours is quick :rolleyes: it doesn’t actually say on the pack what the drying time is (which is naughty)

Please don’t misunderstand, I'm not an impatient person by nature it’s just that having used name brand quick dry fillers in the past my high expectations where obviously misplaced 

I’ve used Polyfilla quick dry in the past and it’s touch dry in 5 minute

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Hairdryer.

I use el cheapo Ever Build all purpose powder filler. Ok, you have to mix it, but it doesn't go off in the box. It also contains PVA. I daub it over stockinette car polishing cloth that I stretch over styrene or card formers and secure with a glue gun.

mix it myself? It isn’t the dark ages you know :lol:

Its my fault for buying something different to what I’m used to using (AKA the cheaper one)

Sarah has come to the rescue and is going to call and get me some ‘proper’ stuff while she out shopping this afternoon :)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

You’re quite right, perhaps Wilko thinks a couple of hours is quick :rolleyes: it doesn’t actually say on the pack what the drying time is (which is naughty)

Please don’t misunderstand, I'm not an impatient person by nature it’s just that having used name brand quick dry fillers in the past my high expectations where obviously misplaced 

I’ve used Polyfilla quick dry in the past and it’s touch dry in 5 minute

I would suspect that  not giving an estimate of the drying time - which as you state is naughty, is deliberate. It is though sad to see such sharp practice from them as they have a very ethical policy giving 1 % of there profits to local communities.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Maybe they're reluctant to give a drying time in as it depends on the thickness of the filler, the ambient temperature etc and some numpty would probably sue them if it went a second over the stated time!

Roja

Instead of ‘quick drying filler’ they should have called it ‘eventually drying filler’ :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Instead of ‘quick drying filler’ they should have called it ‘eventually drying filler’ :jester:

Mind you, better than the 'mix it yourself' one I used whilst young. It set solid in my mother's measuring jug and entombed one of her best desert spoons, she was not impressed :unsure::angry:. Simon

• Funny 9

I made a similar mistake whilst making a desert diorama for a 1/35 Airfix truck in my early teens. I think I got away with it. The bowl was some kind of soft plastic and came free with a bit of help. I extracted the spatula from the lump of polyfilla by throwing it at the side of the garage in a fit of panic...

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KNP said:

Nice picture but I'm looking at that lovely house with the unusual curved wall, roof detail and guttering sweeping around the corner.

Now if you modelled that most people would say, never in a million years!!!!!

but

somewhere

out there

is always an example of the unusual...

Hartshill, just north of Nuneaton.

Looks like it is still there.  Unfortunately, looking at Streetview, there is now a tree on the left hand side of the building, which means that you can't get a good look at that end of it.  The buildings on the left hand side, between the two bridges are quite interesting as well.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, KNP said:

Hidden under foliage and vegetation.....who will see?

Looks OK to me 

Thanks Kevin

I was a little concerned that the angle of the embankment would still be an issue but there’s not much more I can do about it

Although it looks fine to me

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I was a little concerned that the angle of the embankment would still be an issue but there’s not much more I can do about it

A fence/wall/hedge at the top of the slope, to separate it from the road, will take the eye away from the slope itslef, and it can be further disguised with scrub/shrub/weeds. Or foliage and vegetation. Bit of deja vu?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

A bit of Al's @Alister_G Flockerage and Kevin's @KNP Treeage and you'll be fine, the rougher the better for an overgrown un kept effect Chris.:good:

I won’t be doing any flockerage or treeage until I’ve build the whole canal.

I'm only building the embankments local to the bridge at the moment so I can finish the walling and the road surface.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

its not going exactly to plan so I’m having to make it up as I go along :(

I find stuff rarely does and once all plans fail you have to replan or make it up as you go, which is to all intents short term planning and implementation. 

• Agree 1