• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Having said that this one looks like it would struggle to be fully rotated, unless it’s an optical confusion

58B891B7-143D-4EB5-9F70-6AE5360693E3.jpeg.2069e044ff4e21a75f734ee0ce3275da.jpeg

So maybe it’s not that important?

Perhaps it is.

It looks as though there is a hole in the platform just behind the crane, and next to that hole is what looks like a door.  Is it possible that is where a wagon could be backed in for loading, and if so, it might be useful on occasions to be able to crane a load onto the (road) wagon, either from a railway wagon, or from the platform.

Out of interest, where was the picture taken ?

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

I've no idea, I found it during a google search and didn't take a note of where it was, sorry

I've decided not to get hung up on dimensional accuracy and go for what looks right, it is after all only a model and I'm happy with it looking right instead of being millimetre perfect so I've settled on this

966598450_goodsshed28.png.dcf1922318188bd1eb721e83da2dc2ba.png

It appears to fulfil all the requirements, i.e 360 degree rotation, wagon height clearance and a reach further than the track centre

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, figworthy said:

Perhaps it is.

It looks as though there is a hole in the platform just behind the crane, and next to that hole is what looks like a door.  Is it possible that is where a wagon could be backed in for loading, and if so, it might be useful on occasions to be able to crane a load onto the (road) wagon, either from a railway wagon, or from the platform.

Adrian

That looks to be the road access door with a loading bay for carts. It looks as though there's a second bay just going out of shot on the bottom right corner.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2021 at 21:06, chuffinghell said:

I agree, I would imagine as long as goods could be lifted and rotated far enough to put it on the platform that would be sufficient?

Anyway not all goods sheds used cranes, some used ivy :jester:

D1816505-593B-47AA-A2A8-F1120D52C6DF.jpeg.453f5e22a0bab22b0f34cb56991b0279.jpeg

If you model that, Airfix do some staff for the shed:

image.png.54e49e7d9e7c0e5e57dc7498cc78ba8d.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2021 at 09:33, Rowsley17D said:

I'll take one , please.

It’s going to be a combination of 3D printed bits and stuff in my odds n s*ds box but I’ve drawn most of it so I’m sure 90% of it could be printed

I really should get myself a 3D printer but if I did I’d never actually make anything myself (if that makes sense)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to pull my finger out and give the ‘black dog’ a kick in the gonads and make a start on the yard crane tomorrow. I’ve decided on the Peco kit as it appears to be a very nicely produced kit although I may have to reduce the length of the boom because it just looks too long to me

I'm going to attempt to replace the thread that comes with the kit with some extra fine chain so attaching it to the hook without making a mess will be interesting

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

A coat of paint will hide a multitude of sins. If you just paint the lot primer grey ( Which is what I believe the Great Western did) it will transform it and get rid of the Lego Technic multi colour plastic look that is bothering you. Follow that with silvery black for graphite grease around anything that moves and you've nailed it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

A coat of paint will hide a multitude of sins. If you just paint the lot primer grey ( Which is what I believe the Great Western did) it will transform it and get rid of the Lego Technic multi colour plastic look that is bothering you. Follow that with silvery black for graphite grease around anything that moves and you've nailed it.

Oops, that’s a painted finish.

The kit plastic was a satin grey and the boom had a moulding line right down the centre so I’d sanded off all the flashing, primed it and painted in a neutral grey (I nearly left it in primer)

I painted everything else red to stand out...but now you mention it it does look like Lego technic kit :lol:

I’m sure a bit of grime will tone it down

I picked neutral grey as it looked similar to this

B1D9D856-F914-4FCF-902A-0B6A143C460D.jpeg.4f6bfaabb82bdcdc0915a96486223fdf.jpeg

• Like 3

Oops.

Sometimes I only open my mouth to change feet. That is according to RRH, though she also claims to have no filter at all. I think that they had the SWL on the jib in white and that was it. I do like the style of it with the cast iron sideframes.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that they had the SWL on the jib in white....

I’m thinking of painting a plasticard strip black and put ‘SWL 2 ton’ on it using white transfers. I’m planning on using a modelmasters GWR transfer sheet I’ve got (I’m wondering if I can cut up and rearrange the letters)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m thinking of painting a plasticard strip black and put ‘SWL 2 ton’ on it using white transfers. I’m planning on using a modelmasters GWR transfer sheet I’ve got (I’m wondering if I can cut up and rearrange the letters)

Transfer cut 'n' shut,. From experience a sharp blade and you are away. Works for most of my efforts!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Notice also in your prototype photo that the crane has the hook caught onto a fixed point to stow it when not in use. 

I was going to anchor the hook to the platform but I didn’t have enough chain left unfortunately

• Friendly/supportive 4