• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I was going to anchor the hook to the platform but I didn’t have enough chain left unfortunately

I could still put an anchor point on the end of the platform although the position of my crane is different to that of the crane in the photo

257706862_goodsshed29.png.878499b7000053dd9e889518ac9be223.png

A wagon could potentially fowl the chain? but then it's all just theoretical at the moment

314249534_goodsshed30.png.e2e1a404ede654baa76d08062de6617c.png

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

My solution, Chris. 

Really must sort out the wiggly hawser.

Rob. 

20210208_110514-01.jpeg

20210208_110732-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Is that a cross pollinated Cambrian crane and Wills crane?...it’s very, very good! 

Well spotted, Chris.

I had a damaged Cambrian crane and a Wills kit. I liked the look of the Cambrian gear gubbins and adapted the Wills jib etc to fit. I can see me replacing the wire hawser with some fine chain. I never seem to get the wire to hang straight. 

The base is the brick base from the Bachmann ground frame I cut down for Mutton. The handrail is made up of track pins and brass wire. 

But thank you for your kind words. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The anchor point is only there to prevent the crane from being knocked or blown round and fouling the running lines. You could have something more sophisticated like the Cambrian cranes have with a turntable lock bolt operated by lever or pedal perhaps and save work / chain etc?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

The anchor point is only there to prevent the crane from being knocked or blown round and fouling the running lines. You could have something more sophisticated like the Cambrian cranes have with a turntable lock bolt operated by lever or pedal perhaps and save work / chain etc?

In that case there is a brake system within the mechanism that is unseen and hence not modelled :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I'll have a rummage through my odds 'n' end box this evening because I'm sure I've got a lever from a Hattons Andrew Barclay (that I've removed along with other bits after the loco failed to bounce when it hit the floor)

In fact I salvaged all of the bits that I thought might come in handy so I could used either the lever or the hand wheel

You've got me thinking now.......very dangerous is that!

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 4

If I had to pick one, because I started you off on this tangent... I would go for the signal lever, cut it down 40-50% and fit it to the side of the turntable opposite the crank and towards the rear as on the rail mounted crane.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If I had to pick one, because I started you off on this tangent... I would go for the signal lever, cut it down 40-50% and fit it to the side of the turntable opposite the crank and towards the rear as on the rail mounted crane.

The crank side is the side that is viewed (mostly) so ideally I want to add something that can be seen, so that might work.......although adding details no one can see is something I inadvertently to do quite often :lol:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It's an interesting dilemma.  

My layouts are built to exhibit. Of the three, two are fiddle yard to terminus. The exception is Mutton which is a through station, therefore fiddly yards at each end. 

Now, to the point. What I have discovered is that I am more comfortable with the fiddle yard on the left.....as I am right handed. 

Getting there........

As a result, trains enter and leave on the left.  Add to this the fact that most buildings have a particular aspect which is more interesting..........

Still getting there..

So taking Outwool as an example,  Big hut will have to be sited in a particular way to enjoy the view of the interesting side, same with small hut and the cottage which will form the view blocker. 

I am therefore still trying to finalise locations and the orientation of the buildings. Its not easy you know. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Excessive use of the word therefore......
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

It's an interesting dilemma.  

My layouts are built to exhibit. Of the three, two are fiddle yard to terminus. The exception is Mutton which is a through station, therefore fiddly yards at each end. 

Now, to the point. What I have discovered is that I am more comfortable with the fiddle yard on the left.....as I am right handed. 

Getting there........

As a result, trains enter and leave on the left.  Add to this the fact that most buildings have a particular aspect which is more interesting..........

Still getting there..

So taking Outwool as an example,  Big hut will have to be sited in a particular way to enjoy the view of the interesting side, same with small hut and the cottage which will form the view blocker. 

I am therefore still trying to finalise locations and therefore the orientation of the buildings. Its not easy you know. 

Rob. 

Don't you wish you could press mirror on a real solid building just like in 3d printing:D:wacko:, I know I do sometimes. Mind, I accidentally did that while printing off some buckeye couplings for a friend, so that was a definite reprint:rolleyes:.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Just skimmimng through the post to get the gist of it.

Brevity is not my forte today..........

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Heyup Chris, first time I've been on here for a while, you've made a cracking job of the crane (as you do everything else), I do like how you are starting to add some scratch-building skills - the stays on the crane and so on - It's all looking good.

Cheers, Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

"Grubby" looks about right, especially for steam era.   White paint won't stay white around smoke in enclosed places.

That is very true but since my last post I’ve cleaned it up with a wetted paint brush  because it turned out it wasn’t paint but black off the chain from using a brass blackening solution so I thought I’d better clean it off

2AA779E9-44B3-4A9D-8A75-B7082AB620C0.jpeg.15f01c80a58d022686c3113bbcc97bdb.jpeg

B5462950-8743-4496-AC65-6A1CB21427F4.jpeg.68170437888d505b2dfad1450c2e44e2.jpeg

I will weather it but only very slightly and I’ll use a little white powder on the black parts to highlight the details that at the moment aren’t really visible (poor lighting plus poor photography :lol:)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work there Chris. It's just about the best goods shed crane I've ever seen in model form. What you need to do now is model the goods shed being re roofed so you can see it in all its glory.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1