• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

.....one of the things that stump me when it comes to airbrushing is paint mixing and getting the right consistency. 

Me too! for railmatch acrylics I mix 2/3rds paint 1/3rd railmatch thinners

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Me too! for railmatch acrylics I mix 2/3rds paint 1/3rd railmatch thinners

That's handy to know, I've looked at loads of you tube stuff and people make it look so easy! I'm going to try mixing small amounts straight in the paint cup next time as another problem I find is I mix up loads of paint then only use a squirt and it doesn't keep well. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

That's handy to know, I've looked at loads of you tube stuff and people make it look so easy! I'm going to try mixing small amounts straight in the paint cup next time as another problem I find is I mix up loads of paint then only use a squirt and it doesn't keep well. 

I’ve pre-mixed some railmatch acrylic and put it in empty Vallejo bottles....

059E8AF6-0C02-4CB9-8EB1-963346EA8D44.jpeg.c9499a83f5f32835b94bf041e0bea4ff.jpeg

.....I’ve also dropped in a stainless steel ball bearing to help with the mixing, however I’m not sure how long they will keep though.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Nice idea Chris :good_mini:

Did you buy the bottles separately or clean and re use old ones? 

Both, some are new and some are old ones washed out

Getting the labels off is a challenge but if you saturate the label with WD40 and leave it a good hour or so the label comes off easily

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I think this organising and laser cut wooden storage is getting out of control and perhaps becoming an unhealthy obsession :lol:

7FD58AD4-BAFC-4181-B048-4833BB444CCF.jpeg.4ea98e46eb7140b299bad4e8fa5184ba.jpeg

Unfortunately the drawer slides are the standard cheap ‘n’ nasty ones so only 2/3rds of the drawer opens. I’ll be calling Screwfix tomorrow for some heavier duty full extension slides so I can open the drawer fully and get to the back

It almost seems a shame to fill it with paint covered, dog eared and well used modelling tools :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

It will look perfectly okay once a tube of glue has burst inside it as well as knocking over an opened bottle of solvent ( we all done it, some of us several times.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Unfortunately the drawer slides are the standard cheap ‘n’ nasty ones so only 2/3rds of the drawer opens.

Plenty of opportunity for a good rummage, then. There's nothing like a good rummage to start off a modelling session, I find.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Plenty of opportunity for a good rummage, then. There's nothing like a good rummage to start off a modelling session, I find.

I know I’m kidding myself into thinking that once everything has its place that

1) things will be put back where they belong ...when I know they won’t 

2) it will speed up my modelling....yeah right!

I’ll still end up leaving stuff laying around and taking weeks to do what most would do in a couple of hours :huh:

50 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

It will look perfectly okay once a tube of glue has burst inside it as well as knocking over an opened bottle of solvent ( we all done it, some of us several times.)

That’s very true, I once knocked over an open bottle of thin superglue over on the dining table....oops :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Very off topic but on the subject of spills, I carried out an oil change on a motor bike in the garage one day. I was using a former roasting tin to collect the old oil and moved it to one side to install the new oil filter. On standing up, I turned, stood on the edge of the tray, causing it to tip towards me thereby depositing a few litres of warm oil over my feet, lower legs and floor of the garage....and then the dog walked in........

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Well I can, hand on heart, say that I never knock over bottles of anything whilst modeling. When building anything in plastic I use a portable workbench with a division for tools etc and I always fix bottles to it with blutack. When soldering I always have the flux bottle right at the back of the workbench blu tacked to the workbench so I never reach past or over the flux for anything. That way I just don't knock bottles over. Given the mess of tools I have at the front of the workbench whilst working it has been a conscience decision that I didn't need to be knocking acid over my tools so I took steps early on and they have paid off.:angel: Paint however is a different matter:blink:

Regards Lez.    

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

.....I always fix bottles to it with blutack. 

That’s a good idea!

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

When soldering I always have the flux bottle right at the back of the workbench blu tacked to the workbench so I never reach past or over the flux for anything.

I use a flux pen because it’s ideal for clumsy modellers like me 

Nice drawers :D

I’m more likely to leave the bottle top off the plastic weld than knock it over. It seems to evaporate at about a bottle a day so there is none left to knock over by the time I realise. The air mixture that is created makes your throat sore and head ache. Not recommended. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Just deciding where stuff is going before I put everything in, I’ve still got a box of stuff to go in yet.....

F02B6F57-751C-4935-AFAC-AE6A2C650FE1.jpeg.ce808e2832b613ac0d780a74dccf5578.jpeg

.....so I’m going to take the opportunity to sort out what I’m keeping and what is heading for Modelling tool heaven, why I keep hold of broken/blunt tools I no longer use I’ll never know

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2021 at 18:55, chuffinghell said:

I knew it was too dark the second I started spraying it so I wasn’t happy with it being that dark. I wanted more of an aged look which would be more grey than brown I imagine so I’ll have a look at what you suggested (on a scrap piece first)

Definitely go grey/lighter/silvery for sun bleached wood. I start off doing wood with lots of browns and it never sat right with me. It wasn't until I started looking around the real world that unless your fences or doors or loading bays are made of mahogany, brown wood just isn't there. From then on it was beige/sand/greys/white/silver colours that I started using.

This is part of my old sun bleached garden shed that I pulled down a few years ago. The fresh looking wood was part of the internal frame that hadn't been exposed to weathering.

post-7355-0-69219800-1341441374_thumb.jpg

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My magazine subscription of a railway modelling magazine published by PECO has ended so this morning I have subscribed to another published by Warners group publications (whoever they are :jester:)

I'll have see if I can get back issues starting January 2021 though because my OCD just wouldn't be able to cope with magazines starting with April issue :huh::lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I have subscribed to another published by Warners group publications (whoever they are :jester:)

I'll have see if I can get back issues starting January 2021 though because my OCD just wouldn't be able to cope with magazines starting with April issue :huh::lol:

If you are a Gold Member then you have access to them anyway, surely.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

If you are a Gold Member then you have access to them anyway, surely.

It is true that I already get the digital issues but I'd prefer to have a physical copy, silly I know :blush:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2