Hornby "Royal Observer Corps"

GeoffBird

In a word of late No.

You only have to look at the QC of some of their recent releases.

This doesn't mean I won't buy Hornby's products, I've got four of their new releases on Pre-order.

I just won't accept obvious manufacturing defects which should have been picked up prior to distribution.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick analysis of Hornby's Superdetailed Bulleids, detailing Catalog number, livery, tender, tender connector.

In short, 34013 Okehampton is your only option, maintaining the plug connection.

Some stats from my dataset:

53 Bulleids identified from the "China" era tooling.

18 Rebuilts

- 13 4500g tenders

--   1 Weathered

--   2 with Sound.

-  5  5500g tenders (only 34013 with Plug)

35 Unrebuilts

- 12 are Malachite ( + 1 Grey), all 4500g.

-- 6 are 21c numbered, 6 are 34xxx numbered in various guises

-11 are Late crest

-- 1 each are with raves (4500g/5500g)

-- 3 are 5500g

- 11 Early Crest

-- 2 are 5500g tenders

-  Late Crest

-- 1 each with Raves 4500/5500g tenders (34001/34078)

(I know ive missed one, got one wrong i'm guaranteed for that, so when you spot it, please PM me and I will amend this list).

Edits:

Version2: typo: the gallon size of the 4500g tender tank !! doh. 

Version3: Edits, with thanks to user 21c123 (added R2661M, R3308M, updates to R2369/2406/2587/2661/3525), ive updated the stats in Bold above to reflect the updated stats and in blue in v3 of the spreadsheet.

Bulleids_v3.pdf

Bulleids_v3.xlsx

Edited by adb968008

I was going to get one of these, but Hornby's cock-up has saved me £135.

I can't believe that the model doesn't match the illustration on the box - does no-one at Hornby have the job of checking this kind of thing?

Not the first time this has happened the HST in original executive livery had the correct white lettering on the box but the model silver lettering in the box!

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick analysis of Hornby's Superdetailed Bulleids, detailing Catalog number, livery, tender, tender connector.

In short, 34013 Okehampton is your only option, maintaining the plug connection.

Some stats from my dataset:

51 Bulleids identified from the "China" era tooling.

15 Rebuilts

- 10 4500g tenders

--   1 Weathered

--   2 with Sound.

-  5  5500g tenders (only 34013 with Plug)

36 Unrebuilts

- 12 are Malachite ( + 1 Grey), all 4500g.

-- 6 are 21c numbered, 6 are 34xxx numbered in various guises

-12 are Late crest

-- 1 each are with raves (4500g/5500g)

-- 3 are 5500g

- 11 Early Crest

-- 2 are 5500g tenders

-  Late Crest

-- 1 each with Raves 4500/5500g tenders (34001/34078)

(I know ive missed one, got one wrong i'm guaranteed for that, so when you spot it, please PM me and I will amend this list).

Edits:

Version2: typo: the gallon size of the 4500g tender tank !! doh.

The new tender connections make my favourite pastime (musical tender's) very annoying

• RMweb Gold

The new tender connections make my favourite pastime (musical tender's) very annoying

Just a thought.

If switching the tender body from older models is a non-starter, how about switching the loco body from ROC onto an earlier one (I have a "spare" Yes Tor that I was planning to rename).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I queried the matter with Hattons yesterday and have just received the following reply - "At this current time, we are awaiting a response from Hornby in relation to it. Sorry I do not have any further information for you at this time."   Let's wait and see if and what the formal resoponse from Hornby is.

Just a thought.

If switching the tender body from older models is a non-starter, how about switching the loco body from ROC onto an earlier one (I have a "spare" Yes Tor that I was planning to rename).

John

"Yes Taw" and most of the early rebuilt bullieds Hornby did are virtually collectors items.

I considered myself lucky to get one mint second hand a few years ago and paid £125 for it!

If you switch ROC's body you could still have a mis-match on the Brunswick shades. Could disguise though using various techniques or some weathering.

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought.

John

Forgot about that option - it will work, as long as they haven't altered the chassis or body connections. I've done the same with a pair of Granges before.

• RMweb Gold

Side by side of Okehampton and R.O.C.

post-20773-0-60585800-1532109812_thumb.jpeg

The shades are similar but the shade on 34050 is deeper green and indeed very good.

So good I put it next to Appledore also...

post-20773-0-03405000-1532109125_thumb.jpeg

It’s closer to Appledore than it is Okehampton.

The cab with the badge has been rendered very well

post-20773-0-69108900-1532109176_thumb.jpeg

Indeed a very good rendition

post-20773-0-75981200-1532109213_thumb.jpeg

Sadly let down by the wrong tender...

post-20773-0-68147000-1532109245_thumb.jpeg

Unfortunately it gets worse, my model has dry marks on the tender body

post-20773-0-34786000-1532109346_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-85762300-1532109365_thumb.jpeg

and other marks on the boiler roof..

post-20773-0-47432000-1532109304_thumb.jpeg

:-(

Pity, they did a really nice render, including separate ROC badges to attach to the cab side...

post-20773-0-34717800-1532109429_thumb.jpeg

As I put it back in the bag to send it back.. I noticed the Union link was also fitted wrong way around...

post-20773-0-96121200-1532109478_thumb.jpeg

Back to the man who can, to rescue the day. I noticed it’s sold out at Hornby !!!

So the big question... can you put Okehampton tender next to it,..

Yes, but 34050 is slightly darker, but in a less brightly lit place it would work, but there is a difference. I didn’t want separate the tenders and try in this instance due to the existing issues and wanting to swap it.

However I suspect it’s shade is similar to some of the earlier releases, so if swapping loco chassis and tender is an option, I suspect it could get the combination that works.

Edited by adb968008

A few years back Bachmann supplied a Standard 5 class loco with an incorrect tender, they sent out correct ones to purchasers. Come on Hornby, man up and send out the correct ones for ROC !

• Like 2

That would be the right thing to do, Hornby have been excellent with their customer service in the past.

However, could the factories be trusted to ensure that the paintwork matches ROC,bearing in mind it is distinctly different from the finish on Trevone and 603 Squadron?

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully not too far off topic.  The nameplates etc from one side were in the control room in the bunker at RAF Uxbridge (RAF Hendon I believe has a replica but this was the actual bunker).  Nov 2008

post-11293-0-37320600-1532169250_thumb.jpg

post-11293-0-58890800-1532169259_thumb.jpg

post-11293-0-16068400-1532169567.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 3

Side by side of Okehampton and R.O.C.

attachicon.gif7645C820-0762-4E89-9452-F086810EF89F.jpeg

The shades are similar but the shade on 34050 is deeper green and indeed very good.

attachicon.gifCE6BBD07-1482-48B5-85D0-7FCBE8919A96.jpeg

So good I put it next to Appledore also...

attachicon.gif77C37D6B-5773-44FC-BAAD-3E790F9DF2E4.jpeg

It’s closer to Appledore than it is Okehampton.

The cab with the badge has been rendered very well

attachicon.gifAF13DFA9-4F2F-4941-B53D-5140C94D12A8.jpeg

Indeed a very good rendition

attachicon.gif820E94A3-3CAE-4466-8BD1-6AB955DB98EA.jpeg

Sadly let down by the wrong tender...

attachicon.gif2EFF5ABC-AFA0-4DB2-BFC8-98BCAD3F9D03.jpeg

Unfortunately it gets worse, my model has dry marks on the tender body

attachicon.gif67355FE1-063E-44FE-BBFF-C14D08700451.jpeg

attachicon.gifEF5FE431-6293-4BF9-92CF-74994250421C.jpeg

and other marks on the boiler roof..

attachicon.gif953D8D01-E004-4F7F-B9A8-EE8BF35B6E1B.jpeg

:-(

Pity, they did a really nice render, including separate ROC badges to attach to the cab side...

attachicon.gif4194B181-1973-4751-B31E-F8BB164F82D2.jpeg

As I put it back in the bag to send it back.. I noticed the Union link was also fitted wrong way around...

attachicon.gif68D2B994-FF75-467B-AED1-D243A4FBC6BE.jpeg

Back to the man who can, to rescue the day. I noticed it’s sold out at Hornby !!!

So the big question... can you put Okehampton tender next to it,..

Yes, but 34050 is slightly darker, but in a less brightly lit place it would work, but there is a difference. I didn’t want separate the tenders and try in this instance due to the existing issues and wanting to swap it.

However I suspect it’s shade is similar to some of the earlier releases, so if swapping loco chassis and tender is an option, I suspect it could get the combination that works.

Very similar dry marks on the tender of my 34050 - also going back.  Not sure whether to swap or cancel at this stage though.

The 5500 gallon tender is shown on both Hornby's website and the box cover. No evidence at all that Rebuilt Royal Observer Corps ever had a 4500 gallon tender.Not only a spectacular cock up but thoroughly dishonest and contemptuous of loyal customers.

If you’re as keen on conspiracy theories as your post would indicate, I’m assured that Hornby were responsible for faking the moon landings too.

I wouldn't have noticed the difference between the two tenders unless it was pointed out.

But then I've just bought a Caledonian Single and carriages... :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't have noticed the difference between the two tenders unless it was pointed out.

But then I've just bought a Caledonian Single and carriages... :)

No...neither would I,I'm afraid. But as our worthy cognoscenti have pointed out,it's a mistake and you can't ignore it........in the same way as you could not ignore the failings with the Bachmann Modified Hall.I would probably have fallen for yet another example of one of Hornby's finest models.But,as I am hardly lacking in numerous other offerings,I think I am going to pass on this. :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few years back Bachmann supplied a Standard 5 class loco with an incorrect tender, they sent out correct ones to purchasers. Come on Hornby, man up and send out the correct ones for ROC !

That would be the right thing to do, Hornby have been excellent with their customer service in the past.

However, could the factories be trusted to ensure that the paintwork matches ROC,bearing in mind it is distinctly different from the finish on Trevone and 603 Squadron?

Supplying a tender for a Bachmann Standard 5 is a relatively simple matter.Loco and tender are separate entities. All Hornby models are now "joined at the hip".....i.e.wired through for current collection complete with coupling bar.What you would be faced with if Hornby did in fact decide to supply a correct replacement is a degree of advanced nightmare in fiddling with an upgraded version of Satan's plug.

Is the paint finish actually different from the most recent examples ?.I know it is from 34013 but perhaps not from those you quote.

Will Hornby replace the tender.? Being realistic and given their current difficulties,I very much doubt it. A few years back they did with a B set coach release and then I think they did something with their freight boxed sets ( price reduction IIRC ? ) On the matter of the latest Gresley suburban paint finish ? The rest is silence.....

Edit: re.Bachmann. After the Mod.Hall debacle,there was no response.To modify the front end glaring error the only way is via a Brassmaster's kit.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Supplying a tender for a Bachmann Standard 5 is a relatively simple matter.Loco and tender are separate entities. All Hornby models are now "joined at the hip".....i.e.wired through for current collection complete with coupling bar.What you would be faced with if Hornby did in fact decide to supply a correct replacement is a degree of advanced nightmare in fiddling with an upgraded version of Satan's plug.

Is the paint finish actually different from the most recent examples ?.I know it is from 34013 but perhaps not from those you quote.

Will Hornby replace the tender.? Being realistic and given their current difficulties,I very much doubt it. A few years back they did with a B set coach release and then I think they did something with their freight boxed sets ( price reduction IIRC ? ) On the matter of the latest Gresley suburban paint finish ? The rest is silence.....

Edit: re.Bachmann. After the Mod.Hall debacle,there was no response.To modify the front end glaring error the only way is via a Brassmaster's kit.

I would think that, if Hornby did undertake to correct this error, they would only need to produce a tender body.

Release two screws, unclip and swap body, re-insert screws. Far easier than changing the entire tender.

Not that I think it will happen.

John

• RMweb Gold

I would think that, if Hornby did undertake to correct this error, they would only need to produce a tender body.

Release two screws, unclip and swap body, re-insert screws. Far easier than changing the entire tender.

Not that I think it will happen.

John

Thank you for pointing out the obvious...must be the heat fogging the brain. However,did I not read a post somewhere on this forum about the difficulty experienced in removing the screws on a tender body on one of these ?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for pointing out the obvious...must be the heat fogging the brain. However,did I not read a post somewhere on this forum about the difficulty experienced in removing the screws on a tender body on one of these ?

Maybe, but the body has to come off in order to fit a DCC chip, in any case. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Maybe, but the body has to come off in order to fit a DCC chip, in any case. 

John

Which does of course not signify with those of us Luddites who still run on DC only......still some dinos around.Be that as it may,I sincerely hope Hornby will rise to the occasion this time....given the appeal of the visual attractiveness of this particular BB rebuild.

I imagine it will all be down to profit and loss and whether the accountants will sanction an appeal to sentiment firstly....then reason ,accuracy and Hornby's reputation as enhanced by The Engine Shed. No I don't believe this is anything more sinister than a genuine error.We shall see.( he said meaningfully ). They will earn big time brownie points if they make a generous gesture,won't they ?