Hornby "Royal Observer Corps"

GeoffBird

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, though aside of the modified hall that went back to be modified and never was seen again, in the most part when there’s a factory error they do try to get on with it fairly quickly, most recently being Accurascales’ HUO for Rails, the EPB cars, 47835 but also going right back to the class 17 chassis’s for Heljan.

It’s only a tender body, not the whole tender, I just hope they match the paint correctly.

If you are referring to Bachmann's Modified Hall it did in fact reappear and is alive and kicking still on retail shelves and eBay.

Only problem being that the front end is glaringly incorrect and requires a Brassmasters kit to put it right.......hey ho....

• RMweb Gold

If you are referring to Bachmann's Modified Hall it did in fact reappear and is alive and kicking still on retail shelves and eBay.

Only problem being that the front end is glaringly incorrect and requires a Brassmasters kit to put it right.......hey ho....

6922 Burton Hall, it arrived as a partially modified hall.

They were recalled / refunded but i dont recall ever seeing the corrected one come back ?

Recall here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72753-Bachmann-hall/

Cancelation here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91197-Bachmann-cancellations/?p=1617952

Edited by adb968008

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My 34050 Royal Observer Corps, (R.3618) arrived from Derails Models today, and has the correct tender.

Thanks to Dan for confirming it would have and Luke for sorting out my lamentable attempt to set up an account..

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 7 months later...

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this old thread. My local modelshop has a royal observer corps in stock. I mentioned the tender problem but they were not aware of it and would raise it with their Hornby rep. 

I was interested in buying it a month or 2 back and when I enquired the rep didn't know about it either. Did Hornby supply the tenders for these in the end. I am assuming as has been said above a proof of purchase should be enough to get the correct one. I apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere but these days it can be quite sporadic when I get a chance to surf through the site

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PM47079 said:

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this old thread. My local modelshop has a royal observer corps in stock. I mentioned the tender problem but they were not aware of it and would raise it with their Hornby rep. 

I was interested in buying it a month or 2 back and when I enquired the rep didn't know about it either. Did Hornby supply the tenders for these in the end. I am assuming as has been said above a proof of purchase should be enough to get the correct one. I apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere but these days it can be quite sporadic when I get a chance to surf through the site

Yes they did at no charge after contacting them.

Phil

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PM47079 said:

I purchased one a couple of months ago, and sent a copy of the receipt to Hornby. A reply was received confirming the imminent dispatch of a tender body, and a parcel arrived a few days later.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I think I'm going slightly crazy, help!

Just unboxed a lovely 34050 (eventually to be renumbered).

The front bogie was unscrewed in box, but that was a quick fix after removing the bogie arm and reattaching the bolt.

However the bogie seems slightly too far forward - the front of hte bogie frame, and the small obsticle deflectors are actually forward of the buffer beam. This does not seem prototypical, nor somthing I've seen with Hornby's rebuilt light pacifics before.

Everything seems to be reattached properly, and the only thing I can guess is that the slot in the bogie bracket is (etched or machined) a little too far forward.

Any advice, and advice on which other brackets might fit the bulleid (both AC Models and Peters Spares seems out of stock of Light Pacific bogies....).

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I think I'm going slightly crazy, help!

Just unboxed a lovely 34050 (eventually to be renumbered).

The front bogie was unscrewed in box, but that was a quick fix after removing the bogie arm and reattaching the bolt.

However the bogie seems slightly too far forward - the front of hte bogie frame, and the small obsticle deflectors are actually forward of the buffer beam. This does not seem prototypical, nor somthing I've seen with Hornby's rebuilt light pacifics before.

Everything seems to be reattached properly, and the only thing I can guess is that the slot in the bogie bracket is (etched or machined) a little too far forward.

Any advice, and advice on which other brackets might fit the bulleid (both AC Models and Peters Spares seems out of stock of Light Pacific bogies....).

Any chance of some pictures of the loco right way up and upside down to get a better idea of what's going on ?? 

Pete 

12 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Any chance of some pictures of the loco right way up and upside down to get a better idea of what's going on ?? 

Pete 

Sorry not the best picture. Snapped before heading to the home office.

The obsticle deflectors are basically in line with the buffer beam and I sense they should be behind it. Similarly the gap between the rear bogie wheel and the driving wheel seems a bit big.... Certainly when compared with the catalogue picture (below) and earlier releases of this model. Basically the bogie piviot pin is just forward of centre of the cylinder, while on the catalogue picture it is just rearward.

Will try to get a bottom-up picture later.

4783_1.jpg

BoBCropped.jpg

23 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Sorry not the best picture. Snapped before heading to the home office.

The obsticle deflectors are basically in line with the buffer beam and I sense they should be behind it. Similarly the gap between the rear bogie wheel and the driving wheel seems a bit big.... Certainly when compared with the catalogue picture (below) and earlier releases of this model. Basically the bogie piviot pin is just forward of centre of the cylinder, while on the catalogue picture it is just rearward.

Will try to get a bottom-up picture later.

4783_1.jpg

BoBCropped.jpg

Quite often the images Hornby put up are computer generated. This might mean that they differ somewhat. I've got a rebuilt west country and a battle of britain to hand and both seem to be about the same as yours the cut out in frames for the wheels seem to all line up on yours and mine.

IMG_20200512_122031.jpg.68eac0a94140e382d18ac822a78ecf89.jpg

Have you checked you also have the correct tender with yours? As you can read earlier in the thread the wrong tender was originally sent out with royal observer corps and Hornby had to make replacement ones ? 

Cheers 

Pete 

4 minutes ago, PeteN92 said:

Quite often the images Hornby put up are computer generated. This might mean that they differ somewhat. I've got a rebuilt west country and a battle of britain to hand and both seem to be about the same as yours the cut out in frames for the wheels seem to all line up on yours and mine.

IMG_20200512_122031.jpg.68eac0a94140e382d18ac822a78ecf89.jpg

Have you checked you also have the correct tender with yours? As you can read earlier in the thread the wrong tender was originally sent out with royal observer corps and Hornby had to make replacement ones ? 

Cheers 

Pete 

The model on the right of the picture seems to have the bogie a little further back than that on the left. Which models are they (and from which batches?). Can you place them wheel-to-wheel?

17 squadron IMG_20200512_123319.jpg.5e85098408db05917feb301d342622a6.jpg

Unknown batch renamed to taw valley

IMG_20200512_123332.jpg.79a869cb5307d5fcfd6147c169f1e155.jpg

I'd say maybe 17 squadrons is possibly slightly further back but when I move the bogies about as well as try to take the picture square on it seems to affect my perception of it ?? 

I guess you could drill out the hole in the bogie mount to slide it back slightly. The bogie mount is screwed in solid anyways and these bogies on the rebuilds tend to have a lot of slop in them so I can't imagine it would do any harm to stiffen it up a bit 

Cheers 

Pete 

4 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

17 squadron IMG_20200512_123319.jpg.5e85098408db05917feb301d342622a6.jpg

Unknown batch renamed to taw valley

IMG_20200512_123332.jpg.79a869cb5307d5fcfd6147c169f1e155.jpg

I'd say maybe 17 squadrons is possibly slightly further back but when I move the bogies about as well as try to take the picture square on it seems to affect my perception of it ?? 

I guess you could drill out the hole in the bogie mount to slide it back slightly. The bogie mount is screwed in solid anyways and these bogies on the rebuilds tend to have a lot of slop in them so I can't imagine it would do any harm to stiffen it up a bit 

Cheers 

Pete 

On both your models, the wheel centres (highlighted by the small dot/intentation) align with the rivet on the running plate. On mine, the wheel centre is about 1mm forward of this.

I do wonder if the factory has put the wrong arm on.... Either on my model or on a subset of the whole batch.

And also wondering if the Royal Scot arm (avalable as a stand alone spare) will fit.

The problem with just moving the screw whole is that the plate at the end that the bogie fits in is actually nested nicely in a notch in the chassis bottom. I did think at first that the screw might be in the wrong position, but this is not possible as the plate lines up OK....

Tempted to get a Royal Scot arm and have a play....

Very weird. And diasppointing as it is a very fine model. Back to historic standards of decoration for Hornby

This said, The tender lining has a smudge on it... and yes I did order a replacement correct tender from Hornby (some months ago), and the new 4500g tender is the one with the damage...

The whole loco will be due a renumbering anyway probably to 34053 as a Preserved BoB.

Edited by G-BOAF

• 4 weeks later...

So there were other errors on my 34050, including some damaged lining.

I sourced a replacement. carefully unboxed it, and it looked to be very acceptable in terms of finish and decoration. Still strange bogie position, but clearly all like that.

Then my eye moved to the top of the loco....

OH DEAR... I really don't know what is going on at Hornby. The cab roof has a HUGE CRACK IN IT. No idea how this happened. The box was pristine, there was no pressure marks form the packaging. This is by far the biggest QC slip up I've had on a Hornby model.

Now this model is getting rather hard to find... I do wonder if I'm just being send the dregs of the batch...

20200605_181401.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1