Kestrel sound

thesteambuff

• RMweb Gold

Sound recordings for kestrel dont exist, and it doesn't sound anything like a 47 im afraid, the closest living relative would be the sulzer lva28 fitted french 68000 series locomotive for which there is only one operational survivor.

Bryan of Howes used the French loco for his sound file, with British horns and other sounds. There's no guarantee that it is exactly like Kestrel, but in the absence of the real thing, or even decent recordings of the real thing, it is as close as we can hope to get.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In all seriousness there are no recordings of HS4000 that I can find and I've looked before, nor are there any recordings of the Sulzer 16LV24 engine.

I've even looked for recordings of a class 48 which had the Sulzer 12LVA24 but not found any and the only remaining class 48 'Sparrow Hawk' on the GCR had its 12LVA24 engine replaced for a normal class 47 engine.

What ever engine sound you use know body is going say that its not correct unless you put something silly like a deltic or an EE type 4 in.

I was lucky enough to see HS4000 on test at Leicester station one evening many years ago before I was in long trousers but no idea what it sounded like but nothing that I can remember.

Wiggy.

In all seriousness there are no recordings of HS4000 that I can find and I've looked before, nor are there any recordings of the Sulzer 16LV24 engine.

I've even looked for recordings of a class 48 which had the Sulzer 12LVA24 but not found any and the only remaining class 48 'Sparrow Hawk' on the GCR had its 12LVA24 engine replaced for a normal class 47 engine.

What ever engine sound you use know body is going say that its not correct unless you put something silly like a deltic or an EE type 4 in.

I was lucky enough to see HS4000 on test at Leicester station one evening many years ago before I was in long trousers but no idea what it sounded like but nothing that I can remember.

Wiggy.

Hi Wiggy

Thanks for your input,Howes have a generic recorded fron a French Sulzer engine,that might be best.

Hi Wiggy

Thanks for your input,Howes have a generic recorded fron a French Sulzer engine,that might be best.

I've had a listen to the French Sulzer the 68000 and 63000 from the ESU web site and the engine looping sound file on both is not brilliant and I guess its an old V3.5 sound transferred to a V4.0 file BUT if Howes is an original recording that they have done from that loco then I guess it would be better but not having listened to the Howes sound I can't comment just assuming that they are using that file.

It may sound different in a loco as I've only listened to them on a decoder not in a loco but the choice is yours.

I've also listened to the 16TschN26/26 engine in the East German locos but at the end of the day if you are happy with which ever one you choose thats your choice.

I'd be interested in what you go for.

Wiggy.

I saw Kestrel lots of times on the GN&GE but couldn't tell you what it sounded like. Sadly, even with 70 sixteen tonners in tow, over the straight and flat lands of the Fens at 45mph it was probably coasting as it passed anyway. 

• 6 months later...

We are working on a 'Kestrel' but as above the French Loco is similar, but people tell me 'Its not correct'.   So we need something with High Rev's, plus 16 cylinders at approx 4000HP, with some Turbo to get the horse power.  All this is subjective so our project will be 'Made Up' but we hope is better than current offers.

charlie@dckits.co.uk

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

There's a project kestrel group of Facebook who's aim is to recreate the loco.  They may have some resources to help you

Think they would be the sounds of birds tweeting!

Nice idea but can't really see it happening, think the only diesel recreation that will see the light of day is the baby deltic

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2019 at 22:53, Richard Croft said:

I’ll be having a go at it too, just waiting to find a suitably priced Kestrel. My 22 and 41 have gone down very well so thanks to people who have bought those.

richard@roads-and-rails.co.uk :D

I've got a minter in classifieds, make me an offer .....

On 29/05/2019 at 15:35, russ p said:

Wasn't the engine cloned by the Russians and used in some of their locos?

FWIW the high pitched whine on Richard's sound file is quite reminiscent to me of the Soviet TEP 70 noise. These locos built in the late 80's/ early 90's may well owe something to the engine and equipment in Kestrel.

John.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2019 at 08:14, Richard Croft said:

Yeah I think you are right, maybe something I can change on my sound file, others might have it already

Richard

Hello Richard

Which two megabase speakers (4 ohm or the larger 8 ohm in parallel) and a clue on where were they fitted (before I get the bdy off). Also wondering if you have added the starter motor if that was included on the kestrel.