2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

489668468_1-MSP-042-1988Shirebrook.jpg.b822d960e93bc8c7443a0f713451dd44.jpg

Back in the day Shirebrook used to have it's own fiddleyard!

Mike.

Morning Mike, 

Thanks for the great photo. The photo looks like it was the former sidings on the Warsop Colliery Branch, is that right?- before it was rationalised to a single track without a run round? Have you any more Shirebrook area pictures? Nice that the photo is a winter picture!

Cheers

Duncan

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

The bridge looks good, its angle and the approach to creating it that you've used, totally defies the fact that its low relief!

Rich

Morning Rich,

There is a 'real' bridge on the branch line set slightly further back, so this addition is not a fiction, it has just moved a little to fit the constraints of the baseboard. I am pleased with the look of it but it will be much better when blended into the scenery.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Back in the day (late 70s) our school model railway club had an N gauge model of Shirebrook too, inspired by our trainspotting expeditions to the East Midlands, where I seem to recall my first sighting of a brand new Romanian built class 56 took place. It was a bit of a hike on a bus to Shirebrook.

Our layout was not nearly as good as this one, but there were only three of us, and we were all only 15. Our model of the local slag heap was interesting, it came out looking like a cross between a volcano and a massive coal store.

We ran whatever stock we could assemble - there was not so much around in those days, and included perhaps the only recorded visit of a Hymek (the Peco kit) to Shirebrook. It won't be back, it took a tumble off the end of a basboard at a local show and was never the same again.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

Back in the day (late 70s) our school model railway club had an N gauge model of Shirebrook too, inspired by our trainspotting expeditions to the East Midlands, where I seem to recall my first sighting of a brand new Romanian built class 56 took place. It was a bit of a hike on a bus to Shirebrook.

Our layout was not nearly as good as this one, but there were only three of us, and we were all only 15. Our model of the local slag heap was interesting, it came out looking like a cross between a volcano and a massive coal store.

We ran whatever stock we could assemble - there was not so much around in those days, and included perhaps the only recorded visit of a Hymek (the Peco kit) to Shirebrook. It won't be back, it took a tumble off the end of a basboard at a local show and was never the same again.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for recounting your memories. Do you have any old photographs of the layout or your trip to Shirebrook? Our model of Shirebrook has been built mainly by myself, Janet has added many scenic details and constructed most of the farm up by Shirebrook Junction as well as the depot administration block and down platform waiting room. She is very proud of her lines of washing blowing in the wind. My son Carl carried out enormous amounts of research and helped to build many of the baseboards. My operating team are getting involved with various projects such as the S&T compound on the up platform which Mark completed. he also was largely responsible for the horse jumps and training area. You will need to consult my flickr page (address below) to check the details I mention.

Cheers

Duncan 

On 15/05/2019 at 07:51, Duncan. said:

Morning Mike, 

Thanks for the great photo. The photo looks like it was the former sidings on the Warsop Colliery Branch, is that right?- before it was rationalised to a single track without a run round? Have you any more Shirebrook area pictures? Nice that the photo is a winter picture!

Cheers

Duncan

4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

1446524806_1-MSP-545.56006.841J10_09_77.jpg.1a50149e882519738cc00bc82583d20d.jpg

Mike.

Another great photo, thanks Mike, did you have any further information on your 1st photo?

Cheers

Duncan

11 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

Chris

Hi Chris,

Shirebrook will be at the Leeds Model Railway exhibition towards the end of October, I hope you will be able to come along, venue Leeds Grammar School

Cheers

Duncan

Looking really good work there Duncan Couple of things 

1 reminds me of the trains that used to pass nearby on the way to the Airevalley power stations 

2 The firm i used to work for used to collect 60' panel of track from Eastleigh depot for road transport to Sheffield as scrap/r e use 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

The low relief bridge is now painted and weathered. It is stuck to the back scene, the ground work just needs to be patched up around the base and some more trees will be planted.

I much prefer this look compared to a hole in the back scene

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1421.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looking great Duncan, brilliant modelling like usual. 

I like how it's weathered and blended into the backscene. So often on good layouts details like that don't stand out, are not drawing too much attention and just generally don't look out of place. It allows all the focus to be on your engine shed and the cracking models sitting on the lines in the forground. A big improvement on the 'hole in the wall'.

All the best

Dave

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Looking great Duncan, brilliant modelling like usual. 

I like how it's weathered and blended into the backscene. So often on good layouts details like that don't stand out, are not drawing too much attention and just generally don't look out of place. It allows all the focus to be on your engine shed and the cracking models sitting on the lines in the forground. A big improvement on the 'hole in the wall'.

All the best

Dave

Thanks for your comments, I feel the overall effect is very satisfying, I will try to get a better photo on line soon.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBE said:

The bridge looks great Duncan. As you know backscene holes are one of my bugbares and this solves that for me in spades.

Excellent.

Thanks Cav, It was 'bugging' me for quite some time. I attach below some better resolution photos, they should do more justice to the views of the bridge, one is taken from behind the backscene, operators side, some on a weekend when the line to Warsop colliery gets used as a loco park ans some with a Warsop - Cottam service slowly approaching the main line.

Cheers

Duncan 

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 27/06/2019 at 20:32, Duncan. said:

Hi Chris, thanks for recounting your memories. Do you have any old photographs of the layout or your trip to Shirebrook?

A dig through my photo drawer turned up these, taken on 25th July 1977.

shirebrook1.jpg.8e271fb9dc9586143fe504a4a52db828.jpg

56021, 47305, 56004

shirebrook2.jpg.3fe4359f992e01ba1e0b8f3ac2048f64.jpg

56009, 47314, 56005, 37126

shirebrook3.jpg.32871a263264eccaa98728ffecf2e0b5.jpg

That was the first time I had seen class 56s, but the following week there were more on show at Tinsley, and here at Doncaster on 1st August:

doncaster.jpg.fbcd019f92a4ec6feac3f5c671b9029a.jpg

Chris

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

A dig through my photo drawer turned up these, taken on 25th July 1977.

shirebrook1.jpg.8e271fb9dc9586143fe504a4a52db828.jpg

56021, 47305, 56004

shirebrook2.jpg.3fe4359f992e01ba1e0b8f3ac2048f64.jpg

56009, 47314, 56005, 37126

shirebrook3.jpg.32871a263264eccaa98728ffecf2e0b5.jpg

That was the first time I had seen class 56s, but the following week there were more on show at Tinsley, and here at Doncaster on 1st August:

doncaster.jpg.fbcd019f92a4ec6feac3f5c671b9029a.jpg

Chris

Thanks Chris ,

Prototype photos always welcome and helpful. In your first photo above there is a grey silo, for sand I assume, correct me if I am wrong, I find it interesting as it appears to be as mobile as a locomotive! I have photographs of it in three other positions, this is the first time I have see it in this position. I wonder how it was moved around the site and why?

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Now Official, 'Shirebrook' will be featured in Model Rail No295 October 2019 on sale on 5th September. Chris Nevard has taken some cracking photos... ( far better than mine you've seen on this thread) reserve your copy now!

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening Everyone,

Here are a couple of photos (not the best quality-sorry) of the 'new' bridge on the Warsop Colliery Branch, behind the depot taken from track level...

I am also happy to report that I have completed the drawings for the photo tooling for the last major projects on Shirebrook, the water tower, radio mast and railings for the viaduct...I also took the time to draw up some access laddering for the depot yard lamps, I attach a pdf of the artwork, not sure if you can see it or perhaps you need to down load to view, perhaps someone will let me know.

Cheers

Duncan

20190703_191557.jpg

20190703_191437.jpg

viaduct radiomast etch Model (1).pdf

• Like 6