Reintroduction of Slaters 4mm 20 ton Wooden Hopper

Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Did you have to do the traditional shaving off of the handrails to put the wire ones on, or have Slaters decided that's what people do anyway and have taken them off the mouldings? 

I've never made a birdcage van, but I've done a few Slaters MR brake vans which had them moulded on. 

It came with small witness marks/holes which I opened out with a .5mm drill.

It was an enjoyable kit to build as it went together well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have heard from various sources that one of the problems David White had encountered in re-issuing the 4mm kits was that he didn't have copies of the instruction sheets! I gather that plenty of people have come forward to help with this, certainly for the wagon kits. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Eileens are now stocking this range, with the usual discounts for 4 off and 10 off.

The first delivery of 4042 NER Hopper and 4043 NER Birdcage Brake sold out at Manchester show. Nor on order expected next week, possible with some MR wagons.

Addidn to site as they arrive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I've worked out why Slater's aren't listing the brake van yet on their website. I was looking through the box for the transfers, but all I found was a slip of paper to be returned to them because they weren't in stock when the kit was packed. I'm assuming they will be listed when the transfers turn up.

Did the birdcage originally come with transfers? Mine was built well over 30 years ago, as an alternative to languishing in the bar each evening when I was on detached duty in  the wilds of darkest Gloucestershire, but it doesn't (yet) sport any lettering. I've been waiting to have enough other Eastern Region stuff to justify the HRMS sheet, but if there were meant to be transfers in the box I will launch one of my far-too-frequent searches of the archives, to see if I can turn them up (anything to keep from actually doing any modelling  some would say, but if there's a danger it might have a twin sometime soon it will want to look seriously finished and elder-brotherlyish). 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The website seems a bit funny. Possibly they are adding these?  :D

https://www.hamodels.net/slaters-coach-and-wagon-kits/slaters-4mm-wagon-kits-wheels-bearings-included.html

Jason

H & A are excellent suppliers, they had the hoppers at our recent Biggleswade show. I've ordered from them online and they're prompt with dispatch.

I picked up a 5 plank & 3 plank from them on the day.

• Agree 1

On 21/02/2019 at 20:28, chris p bacon said:

I picked up a 5 plank & 3 plank from them on the day.

Was the packaging for the 3- and 5-plank wagons harmonised with the NER brake van packaging, or still the old style boxes? - those wagons have continued to be available through POWSides (as, more obviously the Slaters PO wagon kits) in original Slaters boxes.

H & A sold me a few Slaters PO kits last time I was at the Biggleswade show (btw, Dave, can you get the show weekend shifted so it's not on SWMBO's birthday - I have to keep missing it for birthday activities!)

Edited by sharris

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sharris said:

Was the packaging for the 3- and 5-plank wagons harmonised with the NER brake van packaging, or still the old style boxes? - those wagons have continued to be available through POWSides (as, more obviously the Slaters PO wagon kits) in original Slaters boxes.

H & A sold me a few Slaters PO kits last time I was at the Biggleswade show (btw, Dave, can you get the show weekend shifted so it's not on SWMBO's birthday - I have to keep missing it for birthday activities!)

They were both in the new (square-ish) boxes. 

As for the show.....we had the same weekend for 30+ years then the MK show picked the same weekend, so to avoid a clash and not affect numbers for either we moved to a week later.......I think we should just go back to the 2nd weekend in Feb as it doesn't matter what date we choose.

Excellent and exciting news that the MR wagons are back - try as I might the NER ones are a bit far fetched for Willington.

I'll just have to get SWMBO to move her birthday:vava_mini: <- although I might end up looking like that

Edited by sharris
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, sharris said:

Excellent and exciting news that the MR wagons are back - try as I might the NER ones are a bit far fetched for Willington.

No... No... the North Eastern jobbies...  they're perfect.   :wink_mini:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/willington_durham/

• Like 6

• 1 month later...