Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, FulhamTim said:

Typical British worker fast asleep on the job!

When I was in REME, my mate Denis (a vehicle mechanic) would tie his arm to the chassis of say a land rover, so when anyone passed it looked like he was working, as he slept off the night before's booze.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

A cunning trick, in the armoured corps we had the turret of a Chieftain or Challenger to practice reading an essay written on the inside of the eye lids!

As a gun fitter I know how comfortable the gunner's seat can be. :lazy:

Anyhow I done some car mechanics today.

As I returned from walking the dogs someone was about to start changing the tyre on their car. There were about ten 2 inch holes around the rim on both sides. I took the dogs back home and then returned to help. All was going fine until it was time to take the wheel off. I kicked, nothing happened. I went home and returned with my big 'ammer. Bashed it a few times, still wouldn't budge. Knocked on Michael's door, he was a mechanic. No dogs barking so assumed he was out with his dogs. Kicked and bashed it again. It became lose. New tyre back on. The driver lowered the jack, somehow it got stuck and wouldn't lower anymore. Home again to get the jack out of our car. Jacked up the car and was able to get the other jack out. What else is one supposed to do when you see redhead lady in trouble?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As a gun fitter I know how comfortable the gunner's seat can be. :lazy:

Anyhow I done some car mechanics today.

As I returned from walking the dogs someone was about to start changing the tyre on their car. There were about ten 2 inch holes around the rim on both sides. I took the dogs back home and then returned to help. All was going fine until it was time to take the wheel off. I kicked, nothing happened. I went home and returned with my big 'ammer. Bashed it a few times, still wouldn't budge. Knocked on Michael's door, he was a mechanic. No dogs barking so assumed he was out with his dogs. Kicked and bashed it again. It became lose. New tyre back on. The driver lowered the jack, somehow it got stuck and wouldn't lower anymore. Home again to get the jack out of our car. Jacked up the car and was able to get the other jack out. What else is one supposed to do when you see redhead lady in trouble?

Ask her if she has an understanding father and if the answer is yes get down on one knee and propose.:D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ask her if she has an understanding father and if the answer is yes get down on one knee and propose.:D

The bit I missed out of today's story was we changed the wheel with two set backs without waking her 6 month old grandson. :good:

• Funny 4

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The bit I missed out of today's story was we changed the wheel with two set backs without waking her 6 month old grandson. :good:

Even better, already supplied grand child to spoil and sent back to parents once you've worn yourself out. Where is this find of the century I'm packing my bag already.:bye_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Even better, already supplied grand child to spoil and sent back to parents once you've worn yourself out. Where is this find of the century I'm packing my bag already.:bye_mini:

And she moaned about her hubby being on the phone when she was trying to call him. :(

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When I was in REME, my mate Denis (a vehicle mechanic) would tie his arm to the chassis of say a land rover, so when anyone passed it looked like he was working, as he slept off the night before's booze.

Only needed someone to jump in and drive it off!

Don

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Donw said:

Only needed someone to jump in and drive it off!

Don

Bonnet up and a wheel off and REME are left alone.

When on exercise on Salisbury Plain with the gunners the number of times our sergeant would say "Take the wheel off XYZ". He would join the Battery O group and get the location the battery would be, mark it on his map. Then return to the rest of our little group without his map. Off would go the battery, wheel back on. Off to a cafe in Bulford or Tidworth for second breakfast. Followed by a quick tour to Stonehenge. We would then find the battery. There was always a kind officer who would say "Well done in finding us" as he handed back our sergeant's map. 

• Like 4