Bashing Bachmann MK1s

• RMweb Gold

Definitely one of the first four batches with the vents across the roof as per the drawing above. You can't see the bogies so I can't split it down any more than that. At the brake end I reckon it is the last roof vent (shown on the drawing above) with the distance foreshortened.

I have found this image though:

http://dieselimagegallery.com/gallery/5the1970s/1630-1-S.jpg

It states 1M36 as Stirling - Newton le Willows but I haven't got any Working Timetables from that era to be able to clarify this point. Again, no periscopes and, although difficult to tell, the bogies appear to have leaf springs so would be BR1s. That would mean the batch of 14002 - 14011. In this photo there is an RB in the rake so basically any catering car with seating will do.

Some slightly bad news, though, is this:

attachicon.gifMotorail 1970.jpg

which means you will need two BFKs not one! I reckon that there is another maroon one before the carflats in your photo. Of course rule 1 can always apply.

Well at least I will know what to do after the first one!

Knew it was a heavy train - load 17, probably the longest and certainly needed the bankers up the Lickey

We will have to compress though - 11 vehicles - so will run as BFK + RU + 3 x FK + 6 flats - 2 flats to each coach = roughly 1 compartment per car

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Filling windows

Plastic card behind and layer some inside the frame. Finish with favourite filler.

Or as in my RU Comet + Lima

Solder waste brass behind and fill window with electrical solder. Lead loading in minature.

• RMweb Gold

So here we have the progess - 2 weeks of work on and off, first dry run assembly prior to sides going off to Jimbo for air brush treatment - will be maroon

post-7138-0-51077000-1536495149_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-28021400-1536495215_thumb.jpg

Has been fun getting the cut and shut joints stable and as smooth as possible - will be much more stable when glazing installed and held together by underframe and roof.

Will need to glue the rear half of the sides to the roof as the fixings align over the compartments - from same coach - but not from the centre vestibule backwards where the cut and shut portions form the sides

So still to do - paint and varnish , then transfers - ordered from Fox, not cheap! - to finish the sides

Finish rubbing down roof - that filler and the rain strips at the brake end needs to come off , not present and neither are there any periscopes - fit vents to correct pattern, on order from Dart castings - then repaint

Move stepboards on underframe to align with new door positions, including guards footstep and transfers on underframe and ends as required. Replace buffers at brake end with unretracted ones.Is one of the 140xx batch so runs on B1 bogies....

Install Comet brass corridor end plate at Brake end - no need for tail lamp, brake end will be against loco southbound and against car flats northbound - flats are always at the tail of the train regardless of direction of travel.

This will end up being far and away the most expensive coach on our railway! But worth it for the nod to historical accuracy and to have a unique (well nearly!) vehicle.

Phil

post-7138-0-51077000-1536495149_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-28021400-1536495215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So here we have the progess - 2 weeks of work on and off, first dry run assembly prior to sides going off to Jimbo for air brush treatment - will be maroon

DSC01070.JPG

DSC01071.JPG

Has been fun getting the cut and shut joints stable and as smooth as possible - will be much more stable when glazing installed and held together by underframe and roof.

Will need to glue the rear half of the sides to the roof as the fixings align over the compartments - from same coach - but not from the centre vestibule backwards where the cut and shut portions form the sides

So still to do - paint and varnish , then transfers - ordered from Fox, not cheap! - to finish the sides

Finish rubbing down roof - that filler at the brake end needs to come off , not present and neither are there any periscopes - fit vents to correct pattern, on order from Dart castings - then repaint

Move stepboards on underframe to align with new door positions, including guards footstep and transfers on underframe and ends as required. Replace buffers at brake end with unretracted ones.Is one of the 140xx batch so runs on B1 bogies....

Install Comet brass corridor end plate at Brake end - no need for tail lamp, brake end will be against loco southbound and against car flats northbound - flats are always at the tail of the train regardless of direction of travel.

This will end up being far and away the most expensive coach on our railway! But worth it for the nod to historical accuracy and to have a unique (well nearly!) vehicle.

Phil

Blue grey or maroon for the completed coach?

• RMweb Gold

Blue grey or maroon for the completed coach?

Maroon David - looks like the BFKs in the Motorails were still Maroon when all else was blue/grey - see Floods photo link ...

http://dieselimagega...0s/1630-1-S.jpg

Guess they were on their last workings and not worth shopping....

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Flood for the guidance - its M14009 for us , two rows of roof vents running on BR1s, steam heat & only went blue in 69 by the looks of it

Transfer time! Jimbo has squirted the maroon and gloss varnish on....but what should the loading - evenly distributed of course - for the guards van be? Cant find a picture anywhere....

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

....but what should the loading - evenly distributed of course - for the guards van be? Cant find a picture anywhere....

Cheers

Phil

:secret: Shhh, don't tell anyone but I don't even bother trying to find the correct "...evenly distributed" on my HMRS sheets anymore - the writing is so small. Ok, that is for blue and grey stock, I don't know if the writing was bigger for maroon.

Found it, Pendragon copy of Parkin, P65, 1956 livery details

section (9)

Van load, LOAD --- TONS DISTRIBUTED appeared on all brake vehicles in 1.1/2 in characters on panel nearest to 'van' end of each (right hand end of full brakes). The appropriate value was inserted thus:

BG    8, BSO   2, BFK    3, BCK    1, BSK    2.1/2, BS    3

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

:secret: Shhh, don't tell anyone but I don't even bother trying to find the correct "...evenly distributed" on my HMRS sheets anymore - the writing is so small. Ok, that is for blue and grey stock, I don't know if the writing was bigger for maroon.

Found it, Pendragon copy of Parkin, P65, 1956 livery details

section (9)

Van load, LOAD --- TONS DISTRIBUTED appeared on all brake vehicles in 1.1/2 in characters on panel nearest to 'van' end of each (right hand end of full brakes). The appropriate value was inserted thus:

BG    8, BSO   2, BFK    3, BCK    1, BSK    2.1/2, BS    3

Cheers Flood

I thought I read it on the one picture I could find as 3 tons - but that didnt compute as the brake compartment is smaller than the BSK

However of course there are fewer punters in a BFK! So more capacity available. I guess that fails to take in to account the greater corpulence of BFK punters however.....

Thanks again

Phil

PS Our carflats - Bachmann 38-901s - materialised yesterday so trying to suggest to Steve Cox that Readham needs a Motorail train at GETS in a couple of weeks - I am on the roster for Sunday

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been too long - but here are the sides resprayed, gloss varnish, transfers, more gloss varnish, then satin to finish.

post-7138-0-57799800-1548622426.jpg

Thanks to Jimbo for the paint job...

Underframe, interior and roof are already done so hoping for final assembly over the next couple of days...

Phil

• Like 4

Its been too long - but here are the sides resprayed, gloss varnish, transfers, more gloss varnish, then satin to finish.

attachicon.gifBFK sides.jpg

Thanks to Jimbo for the paint job...

Underframe, interior and roof are already done so hoping for final assembly over the next couple of days...

Phil

An idea which paint James used?

Precision maroon via air brush David

my colour vision is rubbish - what do you reckon?

Phil

Precision is great. Shame it doesn't match Bachmann or Hornby maroon or rather that Bachmann and Hornby maroon isn't closer to precision. As I suspect precision is the more accurate colour. It looks good though. Edited by davidw

• RMweb Gold

Precision is great. Shame it doesn't match Bachmann or Hornby maroon or rather that Bachmann and Hornby maroon isn't closer to precision. As I suspect precision is the more accurate colour. It looks good though.

Cheers - should have said primer was halfords grey

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Precision is great. Shame it doesn't match Bachmann or Hornby maroon or rather that Bachmann and Hornby maroon isn't closer to precision. As I suspect precision is the more accurate colour. It looks good though.

The RTR manufacturers are not my colour match standards, mine are Precision, been using it since it was based in Churchdown near my old school. Nearly 40 years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So here we are - final assembly last night

Had to additionally sacrifice a BG to get the correct glazing but worth it...

Thats just a quickie on the bookcase last night - if the weather is decent will get some in natural light at the weekend that will show up any wrinkles for sure!

Phil

BFK1.jpg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Delete duplicate photo
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Light still good enough for some outside photos when I got home tonight...

Very pleased with this - a great paint job by Jimbo, transfers and varnish went on well too

Should I do something else? Hmmm ..... need to look at an RF, how many vehicles would that take?

Phil

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I made a Brake First Corridor from Tri-ang coaches, it was part of the Romford Overhead Line Equipment train, it was the only one I almost finished before I gave up on that project and dumped the bits. It was a stores and pantograph coach, I think the only BFK so converted the rest were BSK.

Edit.....whoops forgot to say , your model looks very good and nice to see others having a go at making things.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Should I do something else? Hmmm ..... need to look at an RF, how many vehicles would that take?

Phil

Just an FK and an RU. There will need to be a few cuts in the RU, on both sides, to sort out the window spacings but all of the necessary windows are there. Plus some open first seats.

Then again you could just use Comet sides instead (but you'll tell me that these won't match the rest of your stock).

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Flood said:

Just an FK and an RU. There will need to be a few cuts in the RU, on both sides, to sort out the window spacings but all of the necessary windows are there. Plus some open first seats.

Then again you could just use Comet sides instead (but you'll tell me that these won't match the rest of your stock).

2 hours ago, keefer said:

Always  nice to see the less common coaches modelled, Phil. Well done

Couple of quick pic links for the RF:

Corridor side: https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk1-Coaching-Stock/Mk1-RF-Restaurant-First/i-d7RPSNX/A

Kitchen side: http://www.eastbank.org.uk/iANd mages/Coaches/UK2906.jpg

Thanks gentlemen

Given the number of cuts - some resulting in very short sections - and that a complete respray in to blue grey would be needed - I could be tempted to try comet, thanks Flood

And had got the Man Pic picture - thanks Keefer - but not the other one. IS the the RF that used to be in the Royal Train?

Train should be booked for an RF but the picture we have has an RU so we are not in too much of a hurry...

Phil

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats the one Phil, no.325 - a number of them were converted to RB(K) by putting in a buffet counter but i presume 325 avoided this by being in the Royal stock. Strangely enough, it was not re-numbered and for many years wasn't in Royal livery iirc being in lined maroon.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

Will concentrate on the RU for the moment then, might come back and do the RF later.  Our rake will be the BFK + 3 x FK (latest release so nice roofs - bogies already swapped to B1s and renumbered to late surviving early series blue grey examples) + RU. The RU is an older vehicle so needs to go in to works for roof work - wouldnt want any ribbing on here!

Phil

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thanks gentlemen

Given the number of cuts - some resulting in very short sections - and that a complete respray in to blue grey would be needed - I could be tempted to try comet, thanks Flood

And had got the Man Pic picture - thanks Keefer - but not the other one. IS the the RF that used to be in the Royal Train?

Train should be booked for an RF but the picture we have has an RU so we are not in too much of a hurry...

Phil

Phil

Hi Phil

Where is your sense of adventure.

1553189986_Transpenninesecondtrailer.jpg.c0f6c772bb90fa288f34bed3dae3678e.jpg

The trailer second in my Transpennine set. From Tri-ang bits.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1