3 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Very nice - is the 'distress' freelance or based on as specific example?

A mix of both. I go through several photos then see where it goes. The door on the 16T was worked from a Steve Banks photo on his site, but then I knocked it back a bit to allows some grey through.

Edited by 9793
  • Informative/Useful 2

Fantastic stuff Tom. I particularly like the subtle variation in grey. I don't know (or care) which of the greys is officially 'right' because they all look the part. Are you going to have any 'nearly new' ones as well?

I would also observe that at these distances, and with the exterrnal appearance so good, the lack of internal detail isn't really an issue.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Fantastic stuff Tom. I particularly like the subtle variation in grey. I don't know (or care) which of the greys is officially 'right' because they all look the part. Are you going to have any 'nearly new' ones as well?

I would also observe that at these distances, and with the exterrnal appearance so good, the lack of internal detail isn't really an issue.

Yeah, I'm probably going to go with a near new/a year old, with just a light dark wash in the corners. I'll probably do it on one of my kit builds.

• Like 1

This weeks work in progress. Going a bit further with a 16T.... one that is about due for its repaint!

Using Ian Fleming's blog and work as a reference point along with decent colour photos, I'm pleased so far!

DSC05504.jpg.deb06daa69f97eacd5143e039eac49f8.jpg

DSC05503.jpg.d6940e038a07801f3b6636f39c4127eb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Nice could do with a few like that myself

The only bit  not  shown are the dents & bashes that these wagons suffered ! but that is common with models  yet to see a model with all the warts.

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

In 2mm scale, the John Grey etched brass kits did allow for denting and bowing outwards of the sides. I could only find an out of focus shot at the moment though:

Freshwater_coal_wagons.jpg.37ccb54404be4bb0c38f27ffc9d5faff.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 2

Another 16T. Early build with independent brake gear.... due it's first repaint by the looks of it!
53259862_10156461035357984_3141640230516293632_o.jpg.fa7b79ad6d7f2593029be7107e32270f.jpg

55473422_10156461035322984_5140410966604775424_o.jpg.408481fd6c12b165be9a6fdf82bc9915.jpg

An enjoyable one to model!
I'm very much looking forward to the new David Larkin book out at the end of the month on Mineral Wagons, more future reference material!

54517359_10156461035302984_5641173770719723520_o.jpg.1372fab411f653f1740180553dc6bb9f.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

Tom,

Before you invest time on weathering any more of the Bachy 'slope sided' minerals you might want to pass a critical eye over it.  Personally I think the joint between the slope part of the sides and the vertical portion is an incorrect position.  Parkside kits are the solution........

Tony.

14 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

Tom,

Before you invest time on weathering any more of the Bachy 'slope sided' minerals you might want to pass a critical eye over it.  Personally I think the joint between the slope part of the sides and the vertical portion is an incorrect position.  Parkside kits are the solution........

Tony.

Tony, did you  realise there are two sets of mouldings? The early ones were wrong and had the join too high, but they were reworked fairly soon after introduction with it in a more correct position. Fair play to them I think, they could have just left it and it would still have sold well enough. Mine is from the latter correct batch.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2019 at 10:58, 9793 said:

DSC05535_(1).jpg.09ce3a6693b51c4907efd1e3d7184906.jpg

Three latest minerals together.

As I've said before, theme and variations.... I think it's fair to say, I find 16Ts probably the most fascinating piece of railway rolling stock.

I don't think it will be long before I start the next one! :lol_mini:

Nice work.

Ian Fleming memorably described these as the closest thing to a “wagon with attitude” and his attraction to them as “wanton and addictive”.

His BRM articles, plus those by some of the Mostyn crew back in the Modeller during 2000, are essential reading for anyone wanting to model these.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Personally, I'm more of an Iron Ore tippler fan myself, but those wagons are something else. I think the real genius lies in the (ahem) 50 shades of grey that seemingly adorn the different wagons. That isn't to take away from the standard of the weathering.

Really captures the look. Excellent modelling... as always. Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

Nice work.

Ian Fleming memorably described these as the closest thing to a “wagon with attitude” and his attraction to them as “wanton and addictive”.

His BRM articles, plus those by some of the Mostyn crew back in the Modeller during 2000, are essential reading for anyone wanting to model these.

Ian's stuff is top notch and he really is my 'go to' person on 16Ts. 

I 100% blame Ian for my addiction! :locomotive:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 9793 said:

Ian's stuff is top notch and he really is my 'go to' person on 16Ts. 

I 100% blame Ian for my addiction! :locomotive:

There are worse things in the world to be addicted to, and worse reasons.

In my case, I simply remember them being everywhere during the 70s.

• Agree 2

they were reworked fairly soon after introduction with it in a more correct position. Fair play to them I think, they could have just left it and it would still have sold well enough. Mine is from the latter correct batch.

That must have come as a great relief to those who thought they'd have to go back to wrestling with that ba***rd butt joint on the Parkside kit.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

There are lots of books and articles about wagons, but I wonder if there is a need for the information to be brought together to provide a definitive guide, in, say, a 'Wagons Illustrated' format? You could of course say the same for coaches. More often than not I find myself having to piece together things from several sources - and then discover later that I have missed or misunderstood something! Am I alone in yearning for a more 'monograph' approach to these things? Particularly as those with first hand knowledge are a wasting asset.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's locos as well once you get back into the steam era, especially with regard to liveries and the dates they were painted into them.  Of my stud of 10 on an early 1950s South Wales BLT, I only have photographic confirmation of 4, the others being, at best, informed guesses,  For example, I have 2 Bachmann 8750 panniers renumbered to represent late series locos, 9649 and 9681.  The former was delivered new to Tondu in 1946, so I have assumed that it was in unlined green G W R initials livery, but have made the point that it is in early BR ownership with red backed number plates, a smokebox plate, and shedcode plate.  Sister 9681, delivered new to Tondu in August 1949, is in unlined black with a unicycling lion, and has black backed number plates, but I have no defintive or photographic confirmation of either of these liveries.

On the subject of panniers, it is next to impossible to assert without photographic evidence which locos did or did not carry top feed covers at this sort of period; the late series 96xx seem to have all been built with them but boiler swaps mean that anything goes for earlier locos.  I have one, 5756, which I have photographic evidence for in BR black unicycling lion with a top feed cover, but would like to confirm another Tondu 57xx without one so that I could have a model of it.  I presume the information is available in Swindon Works records, but I have no idea how to access it, or if a boiler known to have been built without a top feed cover can be reliably assumed never to have had one fitted.  Or the other way around, that one built with a top feed cover never had it removed.

It is always best to work from photographic evidence that is confirmed to represent the period required, but when the timetable requires a number of locos greater than you can obtain such evidence for you have to make the best guess you can manage.  The best I can do is to avoid impossible liveries, but I can only find out on websites the dates locos were built, and extrapolate Heavy General Overhauls at the 7 year intervals that the boiler certificates expired on (5 years plus a 2 year extension if hydraulic tested by a Board of Trade boiler inspector), which gives some vague and general guidance to what livery a loco might have carried at a particular time.  Again, one assumes that there are records of works visits for each loco, and of what boilers they left with, and of liveries applied, and of any other modifications, but how does one access them?

Most of such information as I have comes from two websites, which do not always agree 100% when they are cross referenced; these are Rail UK and BR Database, from which shed allocations and date of new builds allocated, withdrawals, and transfers can be gleaned.

I am therefore very happy to be told that one of my locos is in an incorrect livery or condition, as anyone  who is able to tell me this will of course have the correct information which they can tell me.  If they don't, I'll take no notice of them as they don't know any more about it than I do...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

On the subject of panniers, it is next to impossible to assert without photographic evidence which locos did or did not carry top feed covers at this sort of period

Even photographic evidence can be misleading sometimes. For example, if you take 1458, this loco was photographed in the late 1950s with a top feed, so you'd have been forgiven for assuming, 'that's that'. Yet photos taken subsequently in the early 1960s (eg. Kington & Prestigne and later on the Chalford services) show the loco without a top feed.

• Agree 1