Modelling the C&O - the Glen Ogle module

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Not sure what you mean by the missing part.

Hi Jim,

I've probably described it wrongly. I can't find any clear photos on the web. I've used photos from "The 4mm wagon - Part 2" which has some nice photos of the vans as reference for build.

the part I am referring to is the vertical protector on the brake linkage seen extending form the middle of the solebar by the vac cylinder in this drawing.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/23456/parkside-dundas-pc56-oo-gauge-lner-12-wheelbase-fish-van-kit

and highlighted on this close up of my model.

1983279654_fishvancloseup.jpg.7ea44486d874900f0f4081f780ec73ce.jpg

In all the photos I've seen the protector is actually more to the left, more in line with the middle of the left hand door.

It literally took seconds to make up from one of the spare brake levers so not a problem.

Edited by Argos

Hi Angus,

That is the safety loop provided on wagons so that if the cotter pin fell out of a pivot shaft and the brake rods were eventually shaken off the shaft, the rods did not drop to the track, potentially causing a derailment.

They are virtually invisible in 2mm scale and would be very flimsy if modelled accurately. If you must add them, a single strand from fine multi strand wire would probably be more appropriate than an etched part, but I will happily live without them on my models.

I drive through Glen Ogle a couple of times or so a month and every time I do so, I am now reminded of your project! Looking forward to seeing it advance.

regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Graham R said:

They are virtually invisible in 2mm scale and would be very flimsy if modelled accurately.

Hi Graham, 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one I'm afraid.

These loops are very visible and included on R-T-R moulded chassis and most etched chassis I've come across albeit impressionistic in the main.

I've no doubt these are slightly overscale, but to miss them off would leave the wagon underframe looking strangely bare.

I'm glad the layout brings back memories of driving through Glen Ogle, the connection with place is one of the great things about modelling an actual location.

Thanks

Angus

2 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Graham, 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one I'm afraid.

These loops are very visible and included on R-T-R moulded chassis and most etched chassis I've come across albeit impressionistic in the main.

I've no doubt these are slightly overscale, but to miss them off would leave the wagon underframe looking strangely bare.

They are just represented in 2D on most Association chassis. A straight bit of etch in the same plane as the brake linkage. See for example one of Chris Higgs's Parkwood replacement chassis under this 3D printed LNER van from Atso:

2058096680_20201003_2145422.jpg.83cc5474c1838e40e71abdb3523fedce.jpg 

That method of construction gives the assembly a bit more strength and is a compromise that I'm happy with. I salute those like you who are happy to bend them up and added them separately. On a 30+ van train there are other things I want to concentrate on (certainly once I've chopped all the overwidth vans down to the right sort of width, fiddled with the roof profiles etc).

I've just looked and my Farish LNER vans don't seem to have any representation of these loops, although they do have the safety loops over the axles (or did before I added replacement brake shoes and wheels etc).

The vans are looking good and Jim's chassis looks to be a lovely bit of etching.

Simon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough, happy to stand corrected! I had another look at the Tatlow book we used as a reference when discussing the etch and there is a photo of a van from a batch built by outside contractors (Charles Roberts) which appears not to have the loop. I agree that the loop is more substantial than I thought on the LNE-built vans which do have them. But am I correct in thinking it is on the push-rod from the brake lever on the side away from the vac cylinder? That is how I interpreted the various photos I have seen. Your model seems to show it on the central linkage from the cross-shaft to the brake yoke at the opposite end of the wagon. Maybe there was one there as well?

Graham

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham R said:

Fair enough, happy to stand corrected! I had another look at the Tatlow book we used as a reference when discussing the etch and there is a photo of a van from a batch built by outside contractors (Charles Roberts) which appears not to have the loop. I agree that the loop is more substantial than I thought on the LNE-built vans which do have them. But am I correct in thinking it is on the push-rod from the brake lever on the side away from the vac cylinder? That is how I interpreted the various photos I have seen. Your model seems to show it on the central linkage from the cross-shaft to the brake yoke at the opposite end of the wagon. Maybe there was one there as well?

Graham

Hi Graham,

To be honest I'm not entirely certain I've got it correct.  I built it based on photos just looking at the position of the loop in relation to the side with the double Vee hangers (one side only).

This loop is on the left hand side when looking the that side, however, it would seem that some of the vans have the vac cylinder mounted on the left rather than the right (or the double Vee hanger on the opposite side).

I had a couple of goes fitting the push rod as I kept convincing myself it should be the other way round.

I am no expert on LNER vans and definitely out of my comfort zone here!

Thanks

Angus

Edited by Argos
  • RMweb Gold

I've just rechecked the reference photos I've used and the loop is adjacent to the brake cylinder.

Phew! :heat:

Edited by Argos
  • Funny 1