45596 Bahamas - Welcome Back

sidmouth

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic, 5596 'Bahamas' gave me my first footplate ride (& many more) in 1972, cleaned her at Dinting, rode behind her on the mainline return Derby--Nottingham in 1988, then on the KWVR. Great to see her return - definitely to the main line, hopefully to the GCR for a future gala visit?

Maybe we can at last see the 4 Jubilees reunited - they are all now intact & restored for the first time since 1967! [5593 Kolhapur static at Tyseley, 5690 & 5699 at Carnforth].

Dava

• Like 1

Magnificent!

Will she get a mainline ticket?

I believe that's the aim of the group who owns her, but first it needs a test run on the main line and that will be after it clocks up some miles on preserved lines or museums - no idea where they intend to undertake the running in.

Edited by Ed-farms

• RMweb Gold

Some locos proportions are spot on....

Standard 5s and 4s .... Castles.....and Jubilees do it for me.

All 4-6-0s , may have something to do with it perhaps

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The double chimney on 'Bahamas' may be attractive to some, but it was the final experiment by BR to improve the performance of steam traction by changing the loco exhaust flow, so it has some historic significance. Anyway, it makes 45596 historic.

Dava

The double chimney on 'Bahamas' may be attractive to some, but it was the final experiment by BR to improve the performance of steam traction by changing the loco exhaust flow, so it has some historic significance. Anyway, it makes 45596 historic.

Dava

45596 is only 'historic' in being the only double-chimneyed Jubilee to survive into preservation - there were others, apart from the rebuilds.

Also, I would consider the fitting of a Giesl ejector to Bulleid pacific 34064 in 1962 to be the "final experiment by BR to improve the performance of steam traction by changing the loco exhaust flow".

• RMweb Premium

It always gives me the impression that someone built a chimney and then fitted a loco below it!

I couldn't care less about a double or single chimney - I'd rather say well done on restoring Bahamas to full running order to the team concerned, and also hopefully welcome to the main line at some time in the not too distant future, to join Galatea and Leander.

• 9 months later...