Modern freight loco's in the south west

• RMweb Gold

hi all, need a bit of help please on what the current modern day loco's are in Devon/Dorset for hauling Freight.

my layout is 1930's>1940's south west but i also run GWR (Class 800), FGW HST, GWR Class 57 and FGW class 153 for modern day traffic in this area.

I don't know normally bother with modern day freight but i fancy something a bit different. the more i google the more confused i get, there seems no specific type of loco or freight traffic, maybe that's why i'm confused, trying to find something specific to the area and time frame when in truth it could be anything...

hoping to get to Rails tomorrow so was hoping to come back with a new toy!

hi all, need a bit of help please on what the current modern day loco's are in Devon/Dorset for hauling Freight.

my layout is 1930's>1940's south west but i also run GWR (Class 800), FGW HST, GWR Class 57 and FGW class 153 for modern day traffic in this area.

I don't know normally bother with modern day freight but i fancy something a bit different. the more i google the more confused i get, there seems no specific type of loco or freight traffic, maybe that's why i'm confused, trying to find something specific to the area and time frame when in truth it could be anything...

hoping to get to Rails tomorrow so was hoping to come back with a new toy!

Colas class 70 with china clay tanks.

• RMweb Premium

I like the class 66, could I get away with a class 37 in colas?

thought ews was long gone?

Remember the Freight operators are private entities who can - and have gone insolvent on occasion! It costs money to repaint things so even though the big players like Freightliner and DBS have decent finical backing, they are also aware that loads of stone or ISO containers don't give a toss what the loco looks like and thus they won't repaint their locos unless there is a really good reason to do so.

Thus far most repaints have taken place either because:-

(I) The locos have been bought by a new operator (and thus evidence of the previous owner needs to be removed)

(ii) The locos have gone through a heavy refurbishment following years out of use (e.g. the class 60s DBS bought back into use)

(iii) The locos have been repainted as part of a promotional tie in - either to 'launch' a new cooperate identity or as part of a PR exercise with a major customer.

Therefore the bulk of the freight loco fleet still carry the livery they were delivered in - which for the DBS fleet is the old EWS livery!

• RMweb Premium

I don't know normally bother with modern day freight but i fancy something a bit different. the more i google the more confused i get, there seems no specific type of loco or freight traffic

Very little freight flows remain to / from / inside Cornwall these days - basically a few flows associated with China clay.

In the case of Dorset the latter the only reason freight locos would put in an appearance is on infrastructure trains as and when required.

Colas class 70 with china clay tanks.

When did that start running?

EWS/DB 66 on CDAs/ Silver Bullets

Colas 70 on Cement tanks

DB/EWS 66, Colas 60/66/70 on ballast/engineers trains, see Truro area next weekend, actually dont, the line between Truro and Penzance s closed for 3 days but no engineers trains are in the system, most odd.

Edited by royaloak

I like the class 66, could I get away with a class 37 in colas?

thought ews was long gone?

Jonny

Colas ass 37 work Network Rail Infrastructure test trains all over the UK I think they run in each region every 3 or 4 weeks usually top n tail 37s

Edited by scottishlocos

There is currently no freight west of Truro. NR will use a Colas loco if needed (37) and Colas have the contract for trackwork (70).see the Kernow Today thread in the Cornwall section of the special interest area of this forum for photos.

DRS occasionally do route learning runs for railtours.

Edited by Co-tr-Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well took the plunge and bought a Hornby class 66 in dB red off eBay for £47. Not typical for the area but along with the soon to be released hattons rhht I think it will do nicely

Edited by jonnyuk