Vintage Steam Railcar

It's the LNWR 'Cornwall' when rebuilt with an inspection saloon.

I've seen drawings but can't remember where. Change the thread title and you might get more info.

This isn't Cornwall, but one of the several earlier Allan 6' singles that were deployed in their later lives to haul various inspection saloons, which replaced their tenders.  Some were allocated to the Engineers' Departments, whilst one was probably reserved for the Chief Mechanical Engineer.  One of the locos used was Columbine, which has been preserved, and a Google search comes up with several photos, such as https://www.flickr.com/photos/124446949@N06/36424310752.

Cornwall was paired with one of these carriage units and lasted on this duty into the 1920's.

There are drawings for the Allan version, with two versions of the carriage units, in R W Rush's British Steam railcars, from Oakwood.  Within its pages are a number of equally bizarre Inspection Cars, Not just the LSWR Bug, but three GS&WR examples, LBSCR, GER, L&YR and NBR, not to mention Gazelle.

I'm intrigued by the apparent narrow to standard gauge arrangement in the foreground of the first photo. Obviously there for a specific purpose, does anyone have any idea what that might have been?

I'm intrigued by the apparent narrow to standard gauge arrangement in the foreground of the first photo. Obviously there for a specific purpose, does anyone have any idea what that might have been?

In my ignorance of the location I would assume it was the Crewe works line. Something like 18" gauge.

• RMweb Gold

In my ignorance of the location I would assume it was the Crewe works line. Something like 18" gauge.

Yes.

That’s the back of Crewe Works, possibly FWWebb’s house in the background?

Edit: I say this based on numerous photos, which usually have the background buildings removed by the photographer, who would also make the dome less glossy, so this is a more interesting photo for showing us what was really there.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what the ride was like especially over pointwork?

Maybe that’s why the civil engineers used them, as a good test?

Don’t forget that this was the LNWR, who had a reputation for a high standard of permanent way.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the help and suggestions. From Sharmans book The London North Western Railway, Plan 61 it is a Crewe rebuilt of 1874. An Ebay search uncovered a CD of The Locomotive Magazine covering many volumes, in pdf format which may have some further information. All help is appreciated.

And, yes the NBR inspection loco is ready to clean prior to painting.

Kerry

post-7832-0-60152100-1539070885_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

London Road Models produce kits for 32' and a 30' 1" six wheel inspection saloons. The former is the sigle veranda version, the latter has verandas at each end. They were usually coupled to an older loco no longer powerful enough for revenue earning use but later the Samson class 2-4-0s were used as Engineers motive power.

M&L did a kit for the LNWR single loco "Cornwall"coupled with F W Webbs saloon. Later produced by Alan Gibson, the are no longer available AFAIK but still pop up on eBay occasionally.

Wonderful vehicles!

That last little one with the curved bits at the end is intriguing, because it was clearly arranged to allow the occupants to be able to move from the compartment onto the verandah without climbing down to the ground and up again, and this facility is 'handed'. I wonder if it was used for inspecting tunnels and over bridges, with the cess-side footboards being used.

Does anyone know the purpose of the curved bits? Blooming strange shape to select unless for a particular reason. And, why a dropped centre to the frame? was it to keep the roof low, so as to allow a view over it?

• Like 1

Does anyone know the purpose of the curved bits? Blooming strange shape to select unless for a particular reason. And, why a dropped centre to the frame? was it to keep the roof low, so as to allow a view over it?

Depending upon direction of travel (i) streamlining to cut down wind resistance and (ii) a spoiler to provide vital down force when cornering at speed.

• Funny 1