Wakefield Model Railway Exhibition 2018

enginelane

• RMweb Premium

Pretty fair in the round. We had a bit of a curate's egg day by our standards. On occasions we appeared to be having a 'purple patch' where things were going well, following by an attack of the gremlins / operator error where maybe things didn't look quite so good. Having a barrier line alongside the main axis of the fiddle yard as well as the front can be a bit of a double edged sword. Folks like to examine your stock and are often genuinely interested in how the fiddle yard works; however it is a fiddle yard where a fair degree of 'fiddling' is required which ideally should be done out of the public gaze (doesn't excuse points being wrong, mind).

Thanks for kind comments nonetheless; let's see what Sunday brings...

You can blame me for the exposed fiddle yard Graham.  I helped prepare the draft layout before I absconded.   There was a plan to have a stand of display boards behind Grantham but that may have had to be altered. Trying to fit the three large layouts in whilst still having the aisles wide enough was a bit of a challenge but I hope that in general the layout worked.   I'm glad that things seem to be going well.   Of course having done the draft layout I absconded and left others to deal with the consequences.  I hope that today goes well.

Jamie

You can blame me for the exposed fiddle yard Graham.  I helped prepare the draft layout before I absconded.   There was a plan to have a stand of display boards behind Grantham but that may have had to be altered. Trying to fit the three large layouts in whilst still having the aisles wide enough was a bit of a challenge but I hope that in general the layout worked.   I'm glad that things seem to be going well.   Of course having done the draft layout I absconded and left others to deal with the consequences.  I hope that today goes well.

Jamie

It was a tight fit and had to move the display but all were accommodated.into the last day

Sunday opening 10 to 4.30 and opportunity to view the exhibits and traders for this year. Have been heartened by the comments made and yes there are scales and periods missing but view what is there. Next year will probably told too much Modern and O gauge and what happened to N!

post-9435-0-72053200-1542529941_thumb.jpeg

Edited by enginelane

Lots of LRM, Alan Gibson etc kits to buy. Made a pleasant change.

Possibly from the estate(s) of deceased members' so perhaps not such good reason for rejoicing. There were a number of LRM, Mallard and other kits on the s/h stand at the Portsmouth show yesterday from a late member's estate.

Guest teacupteacup

The small group Im a member of exhibited at last years show (with Eaglesham) and as exhibitors it was a truly excellent show, thanks Steve!  When we had the chance, going round the rest of the layouts we were able to see the quality of the whole show, and the trade was varied, which is always good.

Hopefully we'll be invited back at some time in the future, in the mean time I wouldn't hesitate at driving down from Glasgow and spending a couple of days at the show

Excellent show, their best for many years. Great to see so many continuous run layouts with full size trains. It also jogged a few memories: Stanley a stopping post on Castleford to Leeds Central dmu trains, Alexanderplast (visited in 1975 ) and Ackthorpe which really captures the spirit of the S&K. The dmu collection on Mostyn recalled a 27 car special to Barrow in 1970 for a challenge cup tie.

Add Grantham and Copenhagen Fields to round off an excellent afternoon.

• Like 1

Possibly from the estate(s) of deceased members' so perhaps not such good reason for rejoicing. There were a number of LRM, Mallard and other kits on the s/h stand at the Portsmouth show yesterday from a late member's estate.

Not rejoicing but just making comment that there were kits available as opposed to mainstream RTR. Highly likely, as you say, to be from a deceased member or from one retiring from the hobby. Sad in both cases but good as money will go back to their loved ones or themselves.

That's my first exhibition over with. Many thanks to Jordan (Narrowgauge Jordan) and Paul (5050) for helping me set up/ take down and to play with the trainset. Thanks too to the chap who fixed my controller.

post-494-0-79704600-1542569784.jpg

Jordan, playing with the trainset.

A complete disaster on Friday when the controller broke, and then when the loader broke later on but all was fixed soon enough. Everything was still running after 3 days and we never cleaned the track at all!

Thanks also for the folks from Southampton who allowed a bit of silliness on their layout before opening, today, in having Hercules run a test train to see just what he could pull.

post-494-0-79018300-1542569754.jpg

80 wagons with barely a slip from a loco that's smaller than a Jinty, and has a motor that cost only £3.20 and is the size of a Mashima 10/15 isn't bad going.

• Like 12

Layout home and unpacked, thanks to all the Wakefield crew for a great weekend, some fantastic layouts, really good show.

Pie shop was up till it's usual standard on Saturday night, after a few pints of falling down water.

Don't know how you can improve after this show, you set a high standard this year, but I can think of one little thing, my be have a lock smith on call, just in case!!!!!!! 

Here's till the next time

Ray

• Like 1

On behalf of WRMS May i thank all who came to the show this year. It was a bumper attendance and comments received on leaving and on Rmweb etc have been 95% positive. Thank you for taking the time to say such nice things. To exhibitors without you there is no show and your skills and talents are what the visitors see and comment upon. Thank you to the traders for providing the support in terms of the products, bits and pieces that enable the hobby to take place. Finally to the WRMS members, their families, partners and the scout group. Without your cooperation the Show cannot run!

Everything to be backed away tomorrow, debrief and it starts all over again at Warley next weekend in promoting the 2019 show!

• Like 4

Jamie

Yes, your name did get mentioned on occasions during the weekend, Jamie...

That's my first exhibition over with. Many thanks to Jordan (Narrowgauge Jordan) and Paul (5050) for helping me set up/ take down and to play with the trainset. Thanks too to the chap who fixed my controller.

That would be our electrics/electronics whizz, Andrew (that's him at the controls of our trainset, just above the '&' of your nameboard. He likes a challenge). Glad to hear that his repair held up for the rest of the show and congrats at having got your first show under your belt.

On behalf of WRMS May i thank all who came to the show this year. It was a bumper attendance and comments received on leaving and on Rmweb etc have been 95% positive. Thank you for taking the time to say such nice things. To exhibitors without you there is no show and your skills and talents are what the visitors see and comment upon. Thank you to the traders for providing the support in terms of the products, bits and pieces that enable the hobby to take place. Finally to the WRMS members, their families, partners and the scout group. Without your cooperation the Show cannot run!

Grantham safely delivered home and unpacked by 10pm last night. The two awards we took home with us were a lovely surprise and I was particularly delighted that they recognised individual contributions of two members of 'Team Grantham'. Glad to hear of the bumper attendance. I think you're definitely in the running for 'exhibition of the year'!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

Layout home and unpacked, thanks to all the Wakefield crew for a great weekend, some fantastic layouts, really good show.

Pie shop was up till it's usual standard on Saturday night, after a few pints of falling down water.

Don't know how you can improve after this show, you set a high standard this year, but I can think of one little thing, my be have a lock smith on call, just in case!!!!!!!

Here's till the next time

Ray

Yeap or appear in the next Specsaver ad!for those not in the know we “ lost” the sandwiches for the evening Social for the 2nd time in 3 years!

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to all involved in running the show - Club members, exhibitors & traders.

My tame three year old and I really enjoyed our visit. Extra credit where it's due to those running the drive a Thomas layout and the chap from Scarborough who let my little one blow the whistle on a DCC loco.

Mostyn was voted favouite by both of us. I love seeing the variety and accuracy of the trains. My little one just liked seeing a regular flow of trains to count and liked spotting buses on the road.

Looking forward to next year's show.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 2

Grantham, Fields and Mostyn all looked great but we spent 75% of the time on Grantham; simply - they knew how to run it and they ran it well. On fields there must have been engineering works on the main lines as the only thing that moved was out of the yard and on the NLL. Mostyn had 'issues' with trains trying to occupy the same bit of track and the inability of one point to work with Class 40's. Most of the smaller layouts were good as well but on one a sound Class 27 was ticking over in a siding for seamingly all of the 3 hours we were there.

Trade stands seemed to very effective at selling stuff, unfortunately not me. At least it meant there was time for a thrid circuit of the layouts.

It was I that ran the up express, hauled by 45039 "The Manchester Regiment" into the rear of a freight train in Mostyn's fiddle yard. The freight train was the "Spoil Train" but unfortunately I took the description as an instruction, and the train was slightly spoiled by my efforts. One of the new wagons in one of the other up freight trains was a nuclear flask wagon, complete with flask. My actual intention was to use the Peak loco to replicate the event at Old Dalby in Summer 1984 where the strength of a nuclear flask was put to the test, but I failed this time.  :cry:

It was I that ran the up express, hauled by 45039 "The Manchester Regiment" into the rear of a freight train in Mostyn's fiddle yard. The freight train was the "Spoil Train" but unfortunately I took the description as an instruction, and the train was slightly spoiled by my efforts. One of the new wagons in one of the other up freight trains was a nuclear flask wagon, complete with flask. My actual intention was to use the Peak loco to replicate the event at Old Dalby in Summer 1984 where the strength of a nuclear flask was put to the test, but I failed this time.  :cry:

Yeap such movements bring spice to the viewing public and surprise to the operating team. I have taken out the buffervstops on the scrap yard head shunt with the express HST on Troutons due to incorrect setting of a road. Much glee, smiles, chuckles from the general public. Shaking of heads and muttering of fellow operators ‘ he a had a responsible job in charge of children’ comnents

• Like 1

Exhibition debrief over and main points

9% increase in through the door total compared to last year. Pleasing that number of families / children is still increasing.

Team Wakefield being on the GMRC was a positive in drawing some new visitors to the show.

Met target of extra people and new members.

Survey comments 97 % positive.

Issue of car park being full on Sunday and causing some visitors not to come was caused by a regional cross country competition that we were unaware of also using the overflow car park.

At peak time in refreshments next year two tills to be in operation. Queues partly due to increase in numbers!

Number of kilometres walked during the exhibition period 40!

Wakefield will have a club stand at Warley this weekend so if around come and say hi or whatever!

• Like 3

Good to hear  numbers were up, I was talking to one bloke,( not even a modeller) that came to the show, because of watching GMRC, he couldn't believe the high standard of modelling on show and will look at railway modelling in a different light. 

one stat you missed,how many cups of tea/coffee were drunk

• Like 1

Good to hear  numbers were up, I was talking to one bloke,( not even a modeller) that came to the show, because of watching GMRC, he couldn't believe the high standard of modelling on show and will look at railway modelling in a different light. 

one stat you missed,how many cups of tea/coffee were drunk

As regards tea coffee are you talking WRMS members on their own or in total!

Very pleased with the comments received regarding Stanley, the club’s new layout. Generated a lot of local interest from the Mayor, local residents and from individuals who lived or had relatives work there. The layout will have a period of gremlin fixing as would be expected after a first show when such long periods of operation throw up issues. On the whole very pleased with the way it operated and how it was seen by the viewing public.

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

If you live in the area and enjoy "finescale" modelling, you should also visit the S4 Society's exhibition. This will be held next on 6th and 7th April 2019 at

The Queen Elizabeth Grammar School

154 Northgate
Wakefield
WF1 3QX

Wakefield modellers are most fortunate in having two such good shows on the doorstep.