TRL POA & PNA wagons - what, when, where?

Alex TM

I seem to remember there was a flow of lime from Thrislington quarry to Scotland  poss to  Montrose or Larbert ? using POA wagons , seem to recall some pics in old some old Rail magazines , class 47 with a rake of POA and pic of a  class 26 at Larbert ( i think ) with POA carrying lime

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

bazjones 1711 - thanks for posting those.  I was sure I had seen an article at one point, but didn't think it was anywhere near that long ago.  Looks like after payday I'll be buying a couple of the Airfix/Dapol tanker kits.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

The doorand conversions look a lot like coalfish, in fact identical to some of the MTAs. Did the doorands become renamed coalfish later in life, or do doorands still exist?

And before someone points out MHA are coalfish, we treat MHA, MFA and MTA all uniformly as coalfish

Jo

• Like 1

I seem to remember there was a flow of lime from Thrislington quarry to Scotland  poss to  Montrose or Larbert ? using POA wagons , seem to recall some pics in old some old Rail magazines , class 47 with a rake of POA and pic of a  class 26 at Larbert ( i think ) with POA carrying lime

I recollect visiting Ferryhill in 1987- the wagoms I saw were those based on former Blue Circle van chassis (PMA), in both their normal and high-sided versions.

• Like 1

I think also there was a CAIB owned rake running off Peak Forest for a period of time I am sure I have seen pictures on flickr of them

Nik

These were the similar looking PSA opens that ended up in CAIB ownership and were later stored at Peak for a while and can be seen in Railfreight Today Vol.1

Cheers Paul

The doorand conversions look a lot like coalfish, in fact identical to some of the MTAs. Did the doorands become renamed coalfish later in life, or do doorands still exist?

And before someone points out MHA are coalfish, we treat MHA, MFA and MTA all uniformly as coalfish

The 'Doorand' were later recoded to MTA, renumbered 395001-395012, and over time became the lowest numbered batch of MTA's, right below the EWS 'new build' ones. I guess they might conceivably have been something of a template for the EWS MTA project?

Most of them retained their Dutch paint though at least one got a proper EWS repaint.

They ended up looking essentially the same as many of the much later conversions to MTA from MKA/ZKA "Limpet's", perhaps unsurprisingly as they were essentially the same conversion done many years apart!

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/M-Tops-codes/MTA-ballast-box-wagons/

Hi,

bazjones 1711 - thanks for posting those.  I was sure I had seen an article at one point, but didn't think it was anywhere near that long ago.  Looks like after payday I'll be buying a couple of the Airfix/Dapol tanker kits.

Regards,

Alex.

Aye - that's what I did for MTV's - the leftover barrels can then be used as the basis for the bogie Murgatroyd's chlorine tanks ...............

post-5198-0-85904500-1546457107_thumb.jpg

post-5198-0-15415500-1546457156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 4

The 'Doorand' were later recoded to MTA, renumbered 395001-395012, and over time became the lowest numbered batch of MTA's, right below the EWS 'new build' ones. I guess they might conceivably have been something of a template for the EWS MTA project?

Most of them retained their Dutch paint though at least one got a proper EWS repaint.

They ended up looking essentially the same as many of the much later conversions to MTA from MKA/ZKA "Limpet's", perhaps unsurprisingly as they were essentially the same conversion done many years apart!

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/M-Tops-codes/MTA-ballast-box-wagons/

Cheers Martyn, that's how I was thinking. Good to have it confirmed

Jo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...