18-inch gauge/4mm scale loco?

Ruston

Evening all,

I recently purchased this little Z gauge loco because I thought that I could perhaps build a British outline narrow gauge body to 4mm scale, making it near enough 18-inch gauge.

post-494-0-33461600-1546192695.jpg

The only problem is that now I have it home I can't find anything to suit it. Most 18-inch gauge locos are outside-framed and I can't find anything that has 6 wheels. Any ideas on what I could turn it into, or are there any kit or 3D print bodies already available that would suit?

Thanks,

• Like 1

Judging from the picture the rods won’t be a problem if you wanted to remove the middle set of drivers to make an 0-4-0T. I suspect there is a gear train hidden in there so the axle will need to be left in place. Beyond that it will be a matter of finding a superstructure that will balance. NG&IRR has had a number of tiny tanks that might fit the bill.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. ColinK has given me an idea with the tram loco thing. I don't like tram locos as in the literal sense of a boxed-in loco running on a tramway but perhaps a normal loco type with skirts that hide the wheels. That way the prototype could be an 0-4-0 but as the wheels cannot be seen it won't matter that the chassis is an 0-6-0.

• Like 1

So no one has any ideas at all?

Hi Dave,

I have to admire a man with such optimism that he buys a locomotive for which he yet needs to reverse engineer a project for !

Sorry Dave but I'm a fifteen inch man and mine is an LMS engine.

post-34584-0-94448900-1546378450_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I have to admire a man with such optimism that he buys a locomotive for which he yet needs to reverse engineer a project for !

Sorry Dave but I'm a fifteen inch man and mine is an LMS engine.

attachicon.gifDSCF0037.JPG

Gibbo.

I actually bought two for £10 - one working, one not. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can't help with a prototype, but there's quite a long thread on the NGRM forum about 4mm:ft / 6.5mm gauge NG modelling which has covered re-motoring these chassis (and conversion to radio control) that might be of interest. You will have to register to read it but its a good forum in general so I'd recommend a look.

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21615-0065-rcand-topics-related/&page=52

Any reason why it can't be freelance? I doubt that any two 18 inch gauge locos were the same anyway, as they would often be customised to the railways requirements. Even the ones that were supposed to be the same probably weren't, they just had a lot of parts in common!

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

I have and the little Avonside in particular looks very nice.

Any reason why it can't be freelance? I doubt that any two 18 inch gauge locos were the same anyway, as they would often be customised to the railways requirements. Even the ones that were supposed to be the same probably weren't, they just had a lot of parts in common!

The reason is that I really don't like freelance locomotives. There are literally hundreds of prototypes to choose from in the world of narrow gauge, or industrial railways so I can never see the point in making something up when there are so many real types to be modelled.

Anyway, I've had the thing apart and it's so tiny and impossible for me to really do anything with that I'm not going to bother. When I do get around to doing something in 18-inch gauge I am going to use the 6.5 minimum gauge stuff. Meanwhile the Z gauge loco may have a new life powering a wagon works traverser.

• Like 1

I have and the little Avonside in particular looks very nice.

The reason is that I really don't like freelance locomotives. There are literally hundreds of prototypes to choose from in the world of narrow gauge, or industrial railways so I can never see the point in making something up when there are so many real types to be modelled.

Anyway, I've had the thing apart and it's so tiny and impossible for me to really do anything with that I'm not going to bother. When I do get around to doing something in 18-inch gauge I am going to use the 6.5 minimum gauge stuff. Meanwhile the Z gauge loco may have a new life powering a wagon works traverser.

That's a shame. Especially since out of the 'hundreds of prototypes to choose from' you can't find a single one. I would have thought being able to use your existing chassis as is was a pretty good point in favour of freelance.

Edited by Titan