Hornby class 60 2019 DB ‘Dowlow’

Osian85

Well this one was a long time coming, alas too late for me now I had one professionally sprayed a few months back.

Im assuming this is just another version of existing tooling? I only ask because I find the currently over-engineered NEM coupler pocket bracket to be terrible and flimsy, it causes no end of bother on my layout with wagons couplers riding over the class 60 coupling and soon im going to tackle modifying it to attach the NEM pocket to the bogie for greater strength, but if this new release has already addressed that then il buy one...

So as soon as anyone finds out whether the NEM pocket is body-mounted still or bogie-mounted, please let me know.

Edited by Osian85

i've not had bother with it being flimsy but it can jam over to one side and cause derailments of wagons.  This is easily fixed by filing the rough edges off the channel in which the cam moves and applying a little lubrication.  Once these small changes made i find they give me no issues (same needed on some 56s too).

M

Well this one was a long time coming, alas too late for me now I had one professionally sprayed a few months back.

Im assuming this is just another version of existing tooling? I only ask because I find the currently over-engineered NEM coupler pocket bracket to be terrible and flimsy, it causes no end of bother on my layout with wagons couplers riding over the class 60 coupling and soon im going to tackle modifying it to attach the NEM pocket to the bogie for greater strength, but if this new release has already addressed that then il buy one...

I use Kadees on all my rolling stock, locos etc and have no problems with the NEM couplings. I used to use tension locks and had the same problem you have but since changing to Kadees the problem has ceased.

I tried Kadee’s but this created a new problem; I have some gradients on the layout, not very steep, but with Kadee’s when at the top of an incline the wagons would uncouple from the loco and roll away!

That's straight out of Thomas the Tank Engine.... You have some troublesome trucks!  :jester:

• Funny 1

the problem with the cams jamming didn't go away for me with Kadees though I hoped it would.  Whether you get the problem or not may be related to your individual setup - the problem in my experience only emerges when I run long rakes of wagons (usually bogie wagons like TEAs) and the couplings are in tension when entering / leaving 3rd radius curves.  If curves shallower or rakes lighter then no issues.  Maybe I should have avoided R3 curves but most stuff OK on them and building a helix in larger diameter would be some undertaking!

M

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am in the process of fitting a chassis mounted Kadee coupling to my 60033. This has done away with the cam mounted arrangement altogether. Also means that the full snowplough can be fitted. I have built up layers of plasticard and super glued an M2 thread stud into this. Just experimenting with shaving a fraction of a mm off the inside of the sandboxes to maintain the full bogie rotation. Will post some pics when done.

Did a similar mod to a Bachmann 66 several years ago and it has worked well. Also allows the full year skirt to be fitted, albeit with a bit of surgery...

The Kadee in its box mount needs to protrude far enough ti prevent buffer lock. 

John

• 4 weeks later...