Hi all,

Some time ago I saw a photo of an RAF tug (one of these Schopf machines I believe) as part of the load of an MoD train. However, I can't find it or any similar images anywhere on the internet. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

I'd also be interested in any other obscure military loads for Warwells, Warflats, OCAs, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

looks like both of those pics are the "out of gauge" BAOR version of a warflat (extra-wide to carry the tank)

https://pgmodels.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/a-different-type-of-warflat-wagon/

so guessing internal use only

The photo of the one with the boat is of one of the 81 vehicles repatriated to the UK after use by the BAOR. They were brought to Eurotunnel's engineers yard at Cheriton, then transhipped to road, I don't know where they all went to; some went to E G Steele in Scotland to be returned to UK spec, others (like those in the photo), went to Marchwood Military Port.

The second photo is an oddity; I believe it's of one of a pair of vehicles, built a few years before the new Warflats were introduced. It looks as though these were also modified with wider decks. The builder was Gloucester Carriage and Wagon, IIRC.

Edited by Fat Controller

It's worth looking on Brian Daniels Flickr site.(sorry on my phone and don't know how to post a link) there's a lot good pics of wagons, loco details and... specific to this thread MOD trains of vehicles with lights, tracks, wheels missing, lorry cabs and some unusual containers

It's worth looking on Brian Daniels Flickr site.(sorry on my phone and don't know how to post a link) there's a lot good pics of wagons, loco details and... specific to this thread MOD trains of vehicles with lights, tracks, wheels missing, lorry cabs and some unusual containers

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776 is the one for 'flat wagons'

• RMweb Premium

Photo 2 is of interest.

Chieftain (and Challenger 1 and 2) are out of gauge in the UK (but designed to fit inside the "Bern" Gauge but it looks like a UK Warflat as the tracks are "hanging off the edge".

Baz

Photo 2 is of interest.

Chieftain (and Challenger 1 and 2) are out of gauge in the UK (but designed to fit inside the "Bern" Gauge but it looks like a UK Warflat as the tracks are "hanging off the edge".

Baz

Neither photo shows wagons usually seen/used in the UK, as has been explained. Nothing like BR UK Warflats

Paul

The wagon with the Chieftain on is pictured at Longmoor and was in a trial using Chieftains and Centurions, built by Gloucesters in 1962

The date for pic I recon is 1965/66 when the shorter Mk1s were on trial

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

The wagon with the Chieftain on is pictured at Longmoor and was in a trial using Chieftains and Centurions, built by Gloucesters in 1962

Yes, but it is still nothing like a BR UK Warflat. Are you aware of whether it was used on the mainline?

Paul

My guess is that it was used in trials over here at the Longmoor railway as there was a need to transport the new tank by rail here in the UK and on mainline Europe. Loading gauge issues over here in the UK killed this plan. Anyone doing a Longmoor based layout would find this a interest project/load so warflat or not it's an obscure military load in the UK (yes ok. not mainline). Anybody who know's their tanks my know more as all I know about Chieftains is the one's we helped to get rid of at Booths were to cut

Robin