Freightliner Class 70 diagrams

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if anyone knew what the daily diagrams are for Freightliner’s Class 70’s might be now? I know one works through Peterborough about 11ish on a Felixstowe to Crewe Basford Hall working and their regular into and from Southampton maritime but it seems there is very little information about their regular workings. I know it’s laughable but does anyone know how many Freightliner need per day to cover the diagrams?

Our fire exit at work offers a view of the GEML and I know of the working the OP alludes to. It was 70001 on Monday and 70003 today. To tell you the truth, they're a surprise when they do turn-up, as something different to the steady stream of Shed/Fred/GBed 'liners.

Sign up to Anglia-Gen if you want real-time reports, lest diagrams don't produce.

C6T.

Our fire exit at work offers a view of the GEML and I know of the working the OP alludes to. It was 70001 on Monday and 70003 today. To tell you the truth, they're a surprise when they do turn-up, as something different to the steady stream of Shed/Fred/GBed 'liners.

Sign up to Anglia-Gen if you want real-time reports, lest diagrams don't produce.

C6T.

70001 since gone back into store, it was used for one day only.

That seems to be it for the 70s, apart from a couple of booked workings (not sure what though) they are only used when the 66s are unavailable.

• RMweb Gold

At 18:00 today

70002 - London Gateway - Crewe

70003 - Trafford Park allox Southampton

70005 - London Gateway - Garston

70007 - Trafford Park - Southampton

70010 - Southampton - Ditton

70015 - (another) London Gateway - Crewe

70020 - Southampton allox Leeds

006 and 008 at Midland Road

The rest off the books at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the Felixstowe - Crewe diagram and a couple of London - NW ones, it seems the main stomping ground is the Soton - NW route?

You have to remember that the Class 70 was a collaboration between GE and Freightliner, and it was supposed to offer considerable savings over the Class 66 which unfortunately failed to materialise.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the daily diagrams are for Freightliner’s Class 70’s might be now? I know one works through Peterborough about 11ish on a Felixstowe to Crewe Basford Hall working and their regular into and from Southampton maritime but it seems there is very little information about their regular workings. I know it’s laughable but does anyone know how many Freightliner need per day to cover the diagrams?

The Felixstowe - Basford Hall certainly isn't always a 70. Often it can be a 66, and it seems as if there is a 2 day repeat pattern for the diagram, so you might get the 70 say on MWF, something else TuTh. Really quite hit and miss.

Bearing in mind your base, it's a good while since one came down the Joint via Spalding, but it can happen. 

The morning Lawley St. - Felixstowe can also on occasion be a 70, passing through P'boro around 12.40.

The diversions that take place from time to time on Saturdays off the WCML can be quite good for 70's, IIRC the Trafford Park - Felixstowe in the morning often turns up with one.

A bit further from you, and in a different colour, if the Oxmellmains - West Thurrock cement runs this is usually a Colas 70, and crosses Harringworth viaduct southbound around 09.15, rejoining the MML at Glendon for the run up to London.

John.

Edit - just checked on RTT, the Colas cement seems to be running via Leicester at present, not over Harringworth, so not so helpful!

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Gold

It was 10 out of 19 stored the last time I looked. 

And that's still the position.  70001/04/09/11/13-14/16-19 all stored at Leeds Midland Road.

As at 7.30am on 27th January those in traffic were;

70002 - Midland Road

70003 - London Gateway 

70005 - Ipswich

70006 - Southampton Maritime

70007 - Southampton Maritime

70008 - Midland Road

70010 - Southampton Maritime

70015 - Eastleigh Yard

70020 - Southampton Maritime

Looks like the Southampton area and Leeds Midland Road are the places to be today if you want to see a FL class 70.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A very usefull source of current info and a excellent discussion forum is Freightmaster. It is a subscription service but I find it well worth the cost. You even get access to live trackplans showing you what trains are running and where they are.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...