A New Micro layout

“Life is what happens when you’re making other plans”. The other plans being a Model Railway. Life

being co-driver in a Rally car in a

Rally down in Missouri. Third in class thanks for asking. So now we’re back and for the first time in almost a month I did some concerted work on the layout. I did the ballasting of the station baseboard. It felt good to be back at work on the Model. Most relaxing 

202DB5A8-AAE9-45BF-864A-AF34E8ADC239.jpeg

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

“Life is what happens when you’re making other plans”. The other plans being a Model Railway. Life

being co-driver in a Rally car in a

Rally down in Missouri. Third in class thanks for asking. So now we’re back and for the first time in almost a month I did some concerted work on the layout. I did the ballasting of the station baseboard. It felt good to be back at work on the Model. Most relaxing 

202DB5A8-AAE9-45BF-864A-AF34E8ADC239.jpeg

From the sublime to the ridiculous! I suspect rallying gives a slightly more inflated adrenaline rush than toy trains!! :rofl: Mind it is probably a good way to wind down afterwards.....

The layout is really coming on. The ballasting looks really nice and neat. 

• Like 1

Developments in the Wesleyan/Methodist chapel area.  The  fence is an interesting mish-mash of bits, I found some model power black iron railing and a section of City Classics Smallman Street Warehouse. Chopped the top off that wall and grafted the two together for a quite acceptable result.

F9D95E05-917A-46B1-BE72-043CA4979DFD.jpeg

7CCF93CB-1F02-48D1-8735-4DB5AC9465F9.jpeg

• Like 11

A bit more progress to show. The lineside fencing is too US outline and will have to be replaced at a later date. Hopefully a level crossing will be here in a couple of days. All in all I think I’m getting the wide open spaces effect I’m after 

675B2895-4DE4-4D62-8CE7-D988A5C6E617.jpeg

B364EFA3-585B-426B-B793-975045420B89.jpeg

4FA8107D-7295-4067-B5C0-10460C31BEEE.jpeg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Ivor_harley said:

Ian your layout is progressing nicely. I like how you have modelled the Methodists chapel.:good_mini:

Thanks, but I think most of the credit for that goes to Hornby for coming up with such a great looking model to start with

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The panoramic shots really show the spaciousness of the layout, a real lesson in effective micro-layout design. I've only been to Lincolnshire a couple of times, but this looks just right to me.

Could I ask what track you've used, esp. turnouts: although I'm guessing they must be small radius they don't look too sharp and add to the feeling of space? Thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

The panoramic shots really show the spaciousness of the layout, a real lesson in effective micro-layout design. I've only been to Lincolnshire a couple of times, but this looks just right to me.

Could I ask what track you've used, esp. turnouts: although I'm guessing they must be small radius they don't look too sharp and add to the feeling of space? Thanks.

Thanks Keith. I appreciate the compliments. 

The track is all code 100 PECO point work and Atlas flex track. The Turnouts have seen service on many layouts over the 20 years I’ve lived in the States. That’s what I love about the PECO product. It’s so well constructed and lasts an age. I’m not a fan of the Atlas track but I have to get what I can  from the local hobby shops here in Minnesota. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/04/2019 at 16:30, mogtrains said:

looking good Ian.. you're hanging on to the 'open space' feeling. How are you planning on 'operating' with tension locks?

I made these his n’ hers (for my wife is the co-operator) uncoupler spade thingies. They worked great.

651E00A6-66EC-470C-935B-5E1CEEE34F7D.jpeg

• Like 2

The Granite City Train Show was yesterday and the layout had its exhibition debut. What a day! Ten inches of snow a few days before the day made me wonder if we’d make it there. But the Minnesota Highways people know how to clear snow, so I had no need to worry. 

As we set up the layout, I discovered a wire was missing. One that ran from the fiddle yard to the power pack. The fiddle yard was effectively dead. Luckily, my wiring skills being what they are, I had a significant amount of redundant wire to hand, to make a fix to see us through the show. When I got home I found the missing wire in the driveway. :D  

To the show itself. I have never had so much fun exhibiting. Ever. 

Much to my surprise people really responded to the unusual subject matter. The tension lock couplers causing much discussion. The stock ran perfectly. Though I kind of wish I’d not used PECO set track dead frog points as the Heljan W&M Railbus was just the right length to stall on it at slow speeds. I really should replace them. But that was about the only down side to the day. There

were many positives to take away from the day. This layout stands a good chance of being around for a long time. 

I had a couple of interesting encounters with punters. One gentleman told me that in a month or so he was heading out to go and volunteer to help the Welsh Highland Railway at their beer fest.

Another gentleman told me that everything he knew about British Railways he learned from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Next. Take a little break, analyze everything and decide the steps forwards. I really should replace the points. I need a Backscene that is true to the wide open feeling I have in the Model right now. Perhaps a fascia, perhaps auto couplers. Perhaps a cabinet display who knows. The way forwards is exciting.

Sorry there aren’t many pictures to share but I really was having too

much fun to think about that.

2055C699-653E-4231-8CB2-90A8E57E7F5D.jpeg

131921D8-9B8C-4035-AB98-5BB370C55D9B.jpeg

B7A956EB-7CD3-4917-BE87-1028637477FB.jpeg

• Like 19

Glad the show went well Ian. I'm sure we've all misplaced or mislaid something vital, or nearly vital - just before a show....
I nearly left home, en-route to a show once, with a feeling I'd forgotten something - you know that nagging doubt in the back of your mind?
After just about a mile, I realised I hadn't packed the fiddle yard! :o lol Quick U-turn, and fortunately, there it was in the hallway, waiting to be packed into the car

Given your location, I'm sure the layout was a novelty, and that's a good thing IMO. It's looking good, and I'm glad it's running well.
Re the points. I always feel there's a danger when tearing up trackwork, that you won't get it quite as flat, level and even as it was before, and you don't want to be starting with an uneven base - especially around crucial points.
That's why, on my latest baseboard re-cycling project, I've sanded down the old trackbed as flat as possible, and then laid a new surface, using foam mounting board

Another approach for you, might be to consider using stay-alive capacitors in your locos. I've only got one stay-alive decoder in any of my locos. It's fitted to my EM converted Hornby 08 shunter.
And I have to say, it runs absolutely superbly. It never stalls, even at the slowest speeds and over dirty track. I did that "thing" where I got it to run over a sheet of paper, laid over the track, and it didn't stall

Of course, this option will cost money - but then so will some new points. Depends on your budget too - but I think it's worth an experiment for you.
Also, you then have a superb running loco, and you'll want all your shorter wheelbase locos to run that way (I don't bother installing stay-alive in my bogie locos as they're fine over dead sections anyway - especially those Bachmann 24's & 25's)

Cheers again Ian :)
Marc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2019 at 09:00, JamesGWR101 said:

The layout is looking really good! I'm glad to hear that the show went well for you. Were you asked many questions?

Most of the questions were about the couplers. 

Then of course you get all the comments about when they (the viewer) went to the UK on vacation and travelled by train. They told me all their experiences, good and bad. One kid wanted to know if I was going to run Thomas the tank engine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Most of the questions were about the couplers. 

Then of course you get all the comments about when they (the viewer) went to the UK on vacation and travelled by train. They told me all their experiences, good and bad. One kid wanted to know if I was going to run Thomas the tank engine. 

Toby, surely?

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time to bump this thread up again. As today I found out that the layout has been accepted to be shown at the Worlds Greatest Hobby Show at the Rivercenter in St. Paul MN. February 28th and March 1st. I'm really looking forward to showing 00 scale model railways to the Americans. The last time I ran the layout at a show, almost a year ago now, I really enjoyed operating it. So I'm really looking forward to sharing this layout with a large general public.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:33, Ian Holmes said:

A bit more progress to show. The lineside fencing is too US outline and will have to be replaced at a later date. Hopefully a level crossing will be here in a couple of days. All in all I think I’m getting the wide open spaces effect I’m after 

675B2895-4DE4-4D62-8CE7-D988A5C6E617.jpeg

B364EFA3-585B-426B-B793-975045420B89.jpeg

4FA8107D-7295-4067-B5C0-10460C31BEEE.jpeg

Looking great,

could I suggest toning down the white of the inside of the doorway?

and perhaps adding a date to the chapel gable on the stone in the upper centre?