Obtaining Bemo spares....

warbonnetuk

I though I'd do this a separate thread rather than burying it in the Santa Maria topic......

While pulling a couple of my locos out of long term to get them prepped for the new layout noticed that I had a couple of details missing (a step on a Ge 4/4 II and the nose headlights on a Krok). Both were purchased 2nd hand some time ago and frankly I may have lost them when handling then. Anyway........

A email direct to Bemo a couple of weeks ago got a v quick response that these parts were available but no details were provided to my request for details on parts costs, postage and methods of payment. As requested I supplied my home address for shipping and everything went quiet until today when a box with a offical Bemo address label arrived with said parts and an invoice for a not unreasonable amount. However payment seems only to be via international bank transfer which the cashier at my local branch informed me would cost me £9.50, which would represent a good proportion of what the parts cost......

I have an email outstanding back to Bemo as to whether there is any alternative way of paying them but it's a lesson learnt about probably not going direct to Bemo in the future. So the question arises to you my fellow Bemo modellers; have you had any experience of sourcing small spare parts (not stuff listed by dealers like wheels, couplers etc) other than going direct to Bemo? Or a difference recent experience going direct?

Cheers

Dan

Edited by warbonnetuk

• RMweb Premium

Michael at http://www.marnoltd.co.uk/ is (I believe) technically their only UK supplier and is very happy to order anything you have a part number for. If you complete his on-line order form he will get back to you with a price and if you are happy order them for you. Once they are in - he will give you a call with the postage amount - at cost - and take payment by card over the phone. He has also managed to get a few parts not listed for my for metal collection locos as they do not come with a parts sheet and also where a item is no longer available ( too old) sourced an appropriate alternative (loco body). Been very helpful indeed and I have now ordered new loco direct from him from the catalogue. More than happy to recommend as I hope he remains in business for some time!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/02/2019 at 16:30, njee20 said:

Use TransferWise or WorldFirst for low fee international bank transfers at the mid market rate.

Unfortunatley these both seem to have a minimum limit which is way over what I need to settle with BEMO

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 16:55, warbonnetuk said:

I though I'd do this a separate thread rather than burying it in the Santa Maria topic......

While pulling a couple of my locos out of long term to get them prepped for the new layout noticed that I had a couple of details missing (a step on a Ge 4/4 II and the nose headlights on a Krok). Both were purchased 2nd hand some time ago and frankly I may have lost them when handling then. Anyway........

A email direct to Bemo a couple of weeks ago got a v quick response that these parts were available but no details were provided to my request for details on parts costs, postage and methods of payment. As requested I supplied my home address for shipping and everything went quiet until today when a box with a offical Bemo address label arrived with said parts and an invoice for a not unreasonable amount. However payment seems only to be via international bank transfer which the cashier at my local branch informed me would cost me £9.50, which would represent a good proportion of what the parts cost......

I have an email outstanding back to Bemo as to whether there is any alternative way of paying them but it's a lesson learnt about probably not going direct to Bemo in the future. So the question arises to you my fellow Bemo modellers; have you had any experience of sourcing small spare parts (not stuff listed by dealers like wheels, couplers etc) other than going direct to Bemo? Or a difference recent experience going direct?

Cheers

Dan

For the time being SEPA (Single European Payment Area) transfers should be free, but having acccounts in NL, BE and UK, I can tell you that despite paying monthly fees for my BE and NL accounts, the UK is a rip-off for transfers.

You could try some of the bigger German dealers (I have used Huenerbein in Aachen, which makes for a nice day out as well :) ), but you will have their mark-up that may quickly get to the UK bank charges

Edited by MartinB

My suggestion re small money transfer, is to post them a euro/swiss franc note of the next highest amount by insured post. If it’s a really small amount then don’t even insure it, with fingers crossed!

Saves mucking around with money transfer firms. I’ve used this method a few times with 100% success (not BEMO though).

• 2 months later...

Hi. I went to the Swiss Railway Society AGM in Derby recently. Contikits were there and had a box of Bemo spares. If you know the part numbers you require I'm sure they would have a rummage for you. Alternatively go and see them at the upcoming Derby model railway show. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, I need a replacement door for Bemo HOm item 3278 421 Brunig Barwagen purchased recently as a used model. Does anyone know the part number please? The doors are the copper/bronze finish rather than silver. Please can anyone confirm whether all or some of the recommended spares sources earlier in this message trail still function?

I also need a coupling for one of the short Bemo  RhB bogie coaches ref 3255. I know the part number but am trying to find out whether the straight Bemo couplings sold by Dundas Models will do the job in this instance. 

Thanks in anticipation

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I can confirm that the straight Bemo couplings sold by Dundas Models do fit the short Bemo RhB  bogie coaches ref 3255. The couplings have the code A1A on their underside and would seem to be, or correspond to, Bemo part ref. Kupplung 5300 180, based on information at the back of my 2018 Bemo catalogue.

• Informative/Useful 1

Further to the above I have found that  the Bemo couplings I got from Dundas have slightly larger loops than those originals fitted to the short bogie coaches ref 3255/3256. I have found the original couplings on these short bogie coaches don't allow the short bogie coaches to couple together easily  as the loops don't seem quite long enough to drop over the vertical pegs even when the faces of the two couplings are tight together even on straight track. Replacing the original coupling on one coach with one of these new ones seems to solve the problem for me. 

• Informative/Useful 1