Ikea Crate Micro Layout.

I love this little layout, it's absolutely packed with empty atmosphere! I think the height advantage over the traditional boxfile or shoebox helps with that. I too might have to try at some point, although it doesn't look easy to connect multiple together in one continuous scene.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

I love this little layout, it's absolutely packed with empty atmosphere! I think the height advantage over the traditional boxfile or shoebox helps with that. I too might have to try at some point, although it doesn't look easy to connect multiple together in one continuous scene.

Thank you TechnicArrow. Yeah I would have to agree with you I think it would be tricky joining more together. 

Regards Paul.

1 hour ago, Howl03 said:

Thank you TechnicArrow. Yeah I would have to agree with you I think it would be tricky joining more together. 

Regards Paul.

Maybe not if you approach it in a different way. Instead of attempting to connect them directly  a short section of track, (maybe 6-9 ins) suitably camouflaged with, say, a sheet of ply, could go between the boxes as a joining piece. It could also incorporate the power feed as well as being somewhere to swap stock.

That way, each box could be a discrete scene. No need to try for continuity between them.

Just a thought...

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 3

On 09/03/2019 at 22:00, steve1 said:

Maybe not if you approach it in a different way. Instead of attempting to connect them directly  a short section of track, (maybe 6-9 ins) suitably camouflaged with, say, a sheet of ply, could go between the boxes as a joining piece. It could also incorporate the power feed as well as being somewhere to swap stock.

That way, each box could be a discrete scene. No need to try for continuity between them.

Just a thought...

steve

Yes, I was thinking that too. Fiddle yard in the middle and a layout each end. It's not something you see too often, but it could work really well.
I agree this little layout is looking great. Nice simple fiddle-stick type off-stage area too. It's a simple concept, and if it works well - that's the best solution :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, marc smith said:

Yes, I was thinking that too. Fiddle yard in the middle and a layout each end. It's not something you see too often, but it could work really well.
I agree this little layout is looking great. Nice simple fiddle-stick type off-stage area too. It's a simple concept, and if it works well - that's the best solution :)

It's got me thinking of maybe a series of them with fiddle yards in-between. And they are stackable. Um I feel another trip to Ikea coming on.

Regards Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Paul you have modelled a beautiful little micro layout. I really like the background sound of birds singing while your tram loco is busy shunting. Lovely video.

Can I ask where you purchased your tram.:good_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic model and a lovely atmosphere in the photos and on the video - I think the 'extra' height (ie: ratio relative to footprint) works really well in the images shared on the thread.

Could I just ask how the coupling up works - the rolling stock looks to have 3-link couplings, but seem to couple automatically? My guess is that uncoupling could be done on the fiddle stick, with wagons then just pushed into place.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, OOman said:

Paul you have modelled a beautiful little micro layout. I really like the background sound of birds singing while your tram loco is busy shunting. Lovely video.

Can I ask where you purchased your tram.:good_mini:

Thank you Kevin,It's the J70 that has just been released from Model Rail and Rapido. Excellent little loco runs really well. No connection to either company just a very happy customer.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Fantastic model and a lovely atmosphere in the photos and on the video - I think the 'extra' height (ie: ratio relative to footprint) works really well in the images shared on the thread.

Could I just ask how the coupling up works - the rolling stock looks to have 3-link couplings, but seem to couple automatically? My guess is that uncoupling could be done on the fiddle stick, with wagons then just pushed into place.

Thanks.

Thank you Keith. All the stock is 3-link. Hand of God was cleaverly edited out.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Howl03 said:

Thank you Keith. All the stock is 3-link. Hand of God was cleaverly edited out.

Regards Paul.

Thank you - I've never been brave enough to try changing couplings before - I think you've convinced me the effect is worth it.

If I could ask the logical bonus question: where / who would you recommend as a source for 3-link couplings? Thanks, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Thank you - I've never been brave enough to try changing couplings before - I think you've convinced me the effect is worth it.

If I could ask the logical bonus question: where / who would you recommend as a source for 3-link couplings? Thanks, Keith.

Hi Keith. I use Smiths LP4 couplings. The hooks are slightly bigger than prototype, but anything smaller would probably drive me crazy when I'm trying to couple them up. I would recommend starting with a couple of cheap wagons to see how you get on.

Regards Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Penybontshed said:

When I saw the crates in Ikea this week, I remembered this layout and bought one. Early ideas below

D602F341-D357-4A41-9C8E-3A74151391E4.jpeg

B4A67A8C-6F5D-4C72-BF19-99DE3AAA42C8.jpeg

I've seen layouts with turntables before...but never a layout on a turntable before...

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Chris Berry said:

Hello Howl03,

How did you make your nice backdrop ? Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_148f.jpeg

Thank you Chris, The backdrop is handpainted onto ply wood using test pots from Wilkos.

Regards Paul.

• Thanks 1