Killian keane

Small loco works, 3d printed models

On 19/06/2019 at 20:10, Ian Simpson said:

Is this like I.W. Boulton's Trent (Fig. 4 in The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding)?

14 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Is this like I.W. Boulton's Trent (Fig. 4 in The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding)?

Exactly the engine its based off 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Killian keane said:

Speaking of her,  you wouldn't be interested in the possibility of a printed firebox top would you?  I appreciate the turned version would aid adhesion more though and represents the shine of brass perfectly 

There is no way I'm making a second one.......in 4mm........:rolleyes:

• Funny 1

The LCDR is a line Ive always had an interest in, as such I have two projects related thereto, those being the 1860 hawthorn pannier tank Magnus which is on hold until the box tank is finished, and the new announcement of the Europa class, that being the most modern loco Ive ever done, but still of some vintage built 1873

hkktnskamqw1oaj171n9.png

Sub%20Section%2011_clip_image002.jpg

• Like 6

Would anyone happen to have drawings for the SDJR George Englands perchance?  I quite like the look of them

SDR10-L.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Killian keane said:

What's the prototype for that? Some sort of Neilson, I'm guessing, but which one, exactly, with the very low chimney? What's the plan for powering it?

theyre both based off the WSMR Neilson (370/56) and are pretty much identical to the one in the PDF drawing save for the cab which has been slightly altered, the low profile box is an experimental request (fictional) with the aim of fitting the port of par loading gauge, as for powering it I don't have a specific plan, Ive left as much space under the boiler as possible while still fitting between 00 wheelsets

• Informative/Useful 1

Ive made the offer elsewhere and Ill make it here too,  a free print of this loco in exchange for a drawing of it 

50-a-Sharp.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Killian keane said:

Ive made the offer elsewhere and Ill make it here too,  a free print of this loco in exchange for a drawing of it  

I doubt that it helps, but some years ago I reverse engineered something similar from the 5&9 castings for a Sharpie tender loco (you commented on it at the time on a thread entitled "a small problem"). 

P1010014.JPG.aa822a8dbbc04606504873c18ea47df9.JPG

The Colne Valley tank loco had started its life on the LB&SCR as a Sharp tender loco. As was Mr Craven's way, as they became outclassed, they were converted to tank engines and one of them was eventually sold off to the Colne Valley and Halstead Railway - hence this photo.

There were several sizes of Sharpie as the design evolved  but there is probably enough information to give you a reasonable starting point. Of course there is also the issue of the rather agricultural extension of the bunker. Somehow I doubt that there was ever a drawing of that: just a rather energetic bit of panel beating and riveting. 

I look forward to seeing what you produce. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Eric, I hope youre enjoying the seaford print (its rather inferior to my current designs), Ive found the wheel diameters from its later use on the colne valley and halstead, and Im extrapolating from the photo, it would be such a shame to waste such a delicious loco, what Ill probably do is map the features onto an existing drawing of a similar loco (something like no.14 from the lbscr society site perhaps?) and arrive at something approximating the Sharp in question, as we speak Im at an advanced stage on the dome

I still maintain your Sharpie is magnificent, and as you can see from the tender above I have one in progress

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1