Maenol Mine - an update

RandyWales

Can't wait to see Maenol in the flesh - are you taking it to Cardiff this year?

Or perhaps the Lord & Butler event?

It would be great if it were to make an appearance at the L&B show that Marc mentioned!

Hi Marc/Keef...

Thanks for the kind words....

I would have loved to have brought Maenol to the L&B show, but I think that'll come a bit too soon as things are hectic at the moment and I don't get much time to dabble. Will probably attend as a punter, oncall willing.

The Cardiff show may be a different matter, as I think that's in October?

Even at my pace, that should be achievable.

Shall I make the Cardiff commitment? huh.gif

Would they allow me through Border Control?wink.gif

Randall

Hi Marc/Keef...

Thanks for the kind words....

.....Shall I make the Cardiff commitment? huh.gif

Would they allow me through Border Control?wink.gif

Randall

Hi Randall,

If there's space, I'm sure you'll get an invite to Cardiff....

....but don't bring your white football top.... :lol:

Honestly Randall, Maenol has been a really inspirational layout...

....go on, you must get it finished (don't look too far off to me anyway....)

Marc :D

In the Wonderful Capital City of Wales :D

....go on, you must get it finished ...

....starting to turn up the heat, eh?...

This little scene was a 6" x 4" hole until last night...

Goes to show how carefully chosen camera angles can hide a multitude of jobs that need doing...

The Community Centre is the next bit that needs to be finished...

I think a nice red GPO telephone box will look just right in that corner behind the young girl, with a telegraph pole the other side of the wall.

A bench seat with a couple of reminiscing old miners sitting on it will go against the nearer brick wall.

Some bike stands inside and a nice gate, perhaps?...

And some bargeboards on the buildings, too.

There's still LOADS to do!

Randall

post-6897-127529587306_thumb.jpg

Gap in the market...wish list...whatever!

Please can someone make a moulding of a line of horizontal bricks available...in several scales....

You know the kind... ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

For on top of brick walls....

I'm not really happy with flat flagstones on top of brick walls....stone walls..yes...brick walls...no!

There MUST be a demand.

Anyone?

Pete Harvey....Etching???

post-6897-127534509974.jpg

Randall

• RMweb Gold

Randall,

You could try 2mm/4mm scale planking sheets from Slaters. Cut across the scribed planks for the bricks, with similar length strips for the ends of them.

Stu

a line of horizontal bricks available...in several scales....

You know the kind... ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

[

Randall

They are called soldier courses - cos they line up like soldiers!

Wills do a pack of architectural details and these include soldier courses (I think). Mind you, it will get expensive if you have much to do.

Use the planking idea just suggested, let them cure off and then scribe the vertical lines?

Randall,

You could try 2mm/4mm scale planking sheets from Slaters. Cut across the scribed planks for the bricks, with similar length strips for the ends of them.

Hi Stu...

I knew you'd have a solution, just not so quick...biggrin.gif

I have some in the odds box...I'll give it a try.

I'll chamfer the edges, just like I do with everything else.

Might reject a few, but it should work.

There is a gap in the market, though.

Did C&L do something years ago for 4mm?

Randall

They are called soldier courses - cos they line up like soldiers!

Wills do a pack of architectural details and these include soldier courses....

Thanks Mark...

I think I might have a pack of those tucked away somewhere too...

I only need a few inches, as shown in the latest photos.

Wills 4mm bricks are overscale so they might suit 7mm scale.

I've found that there are many items intended for 4mm that are suitable for the senior scale.

Randall

In the UK the modern brick sizes are 215 millimeters by 102.5 millimeters by 65 millimeters or 8½ inches by 4 inches by 2½ inches. The logic is that the end, when you add a 10mm mortar gap, is half the length.

This equates to 2.8mm * 1.35mm * .85mm or thereabouts in 4mm. Or 5.0mm*2.38mm*1.5mm in 7mm. I suspect that you are right that the Wills ones are a bit too big.

Imperial bricks were very similar in size, certainly in model form you will not pick up the difference. Prior to the mid victorian era, there may well have been more significant descrepancy in size.

Hi Mark...

I don't know anything about the science of the brick, but I much prefer the oversize Wills brick for 4mm scale, despite the difficulties in working with such thick plastic. Funnily enough, I don't mind Slaters brickwork for 7mm scale (probably because there aren't many alternatives).

I did try the Pendon method in 4mm a good few years back and had very pleasing results (following the series of articles in Model Railway Constructor) but was badly let down (aka absolutely ruined) by my interpretation of colour.

I wonder whether the Pendon method of scribed card would scale up to 7mm?

You certainly have more scope for accuracy and authenticity.

Anyway, due to my habit of over-applying solvent, my attempt at a 'little modification' resulted in a complete rip-out of the area in the latest photo.

I've half rebuilt the walls, and will be using Stu's method of making soldier courses out of 2mm plastikard planking cut into strips with chamfered joins.

This looked quite reasonable on a test piece.

Randall

Hi again...

The image shows the newly re-rebuilt Community Hall brick walls, complete with soldier course capping.

It was quite a fiddly job, given my fat thumbs and dodgy eyesight.

I'm quite happy with the outcome.

It should result in a nice little cameo.

Randall

post-6897-127591875482.jpg

I really do like this layout it's my kind of thing.....

Thanks Mike....

I've been equally impressed by your work on Pattingham.smile.gif

I'm on a weeks annual leave now, and with the weather set fair for ducks, I might just be able to make a bit more progress on the Community Hall area.

Perhaps the fiddleyard, too?

Randall

Hello again...

I've been finishing off the Coal Chute feed hopper....

The first image shows the original design, and the other two show the final development.

The Plastikard hopper is now attached permanently to the back wall with solvent.

It fits neatly into the space between the two buildings and will be hidden from view by the roof.

I've done more coal loading tests using the other (two) roof mounted feed hoppers and the coal chute in the photos.

Managing the load balance will take a bit of getting used to with 16t mineral wagons, but the 20t mineral is a doddle with loads of approx equal size in each of the three hoppers filling the wagon spot on each time. There was a panic when the coal flowing down the chute stopped intermittently, even with full power applied on the ex-mobile phone vibrator motor. It wasn't stiction - it was an accumulation of dust that had stuck to paint in a hidden corner. Some quick work with a needle file soon sorted that problem.

For those who haven't seen it working, here is a link to Youtube. (Turn down your speaker volume as it's a bit loud)

It's quieter now as I've since reduced the power and incorporated a potentiometer for controlling the motor)

Randall

post-6897-127611695616_thumb.jpg

post-6897-127611697393_thumb.jpg

post-6897-12761169912_thumb.jpg

This is looking better and better all the time Randall!

I can't believe how much detail you have put into such a small layout -

without it looking cramped!

I'm sure it must be nearly finished now......! :lol:

Marc

See you at L&B ?

See you at L&B ?

Thanks Marc....

'fraid L&B is not on this year.

I'm on call this weekend and Caerdydd is too far out of area.

I was really looking forward to it.... and I wanted to get to DEMU last weekend but Mr Sun put paid to that plan.

Randall

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again...

The previous sequence of images showed the final development stages of the coal loading chutes/hoppers.

Rigorous testing of the coal loading facilities highlighted a couple of problems with visibility.

Because the coal chutes will be mostly hidden from view when the building is fixed into place, it's been difficult to get the loads looking authentic every time. Hence I started looking at the use of a miniature CCTV camera to provide a live feed to a TV screen so I could see what was going on in the dark depths of the Maenol Mine 'Black Hole'.

The three images should give an idea of the process.

The colour CCTV surveillance camera (Swann) was £30 from Maplin.

The round LED lighting rig is from an illuminated magnifying glass.

The camera runs off a PP3 battery and is plugged via SCART into a cheap Technics TV from Tesco.

I still have to find the optimum location and mounting method for it at the back of the 'Hole'.

Seems to achieve the objective for the price of a 7mm wagon....

OTT again?

The last image shows the live feed on the TV screen.

post-6897-127824974661_thumb.jpg

post-6897-127824972103_thumb.jpg

post-6897-127824973226_thumb.jpg

Will the TV be visible to the public as well as the operator?...

Hi Stu....

It had crossed my mind...

If it all works as planned, not sharing it with the viewing public would be a lost opportunity...

All part of the theatre, I suppose.

Randall.

I love this layout

very well done so realistic

adam

Hi Adam

Thanks for the very kind words

Randall

[twitter]Hi Randall.

Congrats again for pushing the boundaries just a bit further. You definitely need to share the hopper loading with the watching public - it would be something special and different from other layouts. All small layouts need something different to set them apart - a TV screen will help further enhance this already special layout.

Keep up the good work.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again….

I’ve uploaded some new footage onto YouTube. It’s taken with the new miniature CCTV surveillance camera located at the back of the Maenol Mine Black Hole.

Please bear with me as it’s very rough stuff….

I held my video camera in one hand – pointing it at the TV Screen (hence the wobbly picture), whilst I did the coal loading with the other hand.

The shunting movements were hand-powered.

Also, please excuse the ‘limping’ wagon – I must remember to clear the wayward lumps of coal from the flangeways.

Due to the lack of an extra hand, I struggled to make full use of the chutes for the film – only using the two hidden hoppers (not the visible chute). I’d normally use the three hoppers to fill a 20ton mineral wagon, so to compensate, I had to move the wagon slightly during loading to get an authentic spread for the load. I also had to re-fill the hoppers as they emptied, hence the gaps between the drops.

I didn’t have to use the Vibrator-motor for this shot, although if you can watch the clip with headphones on, the unintended sound effects are remarkably realistic.

There is a microphone attached to the CCTV camera lens, so much of the sound is picked up by that, but there is also a sound of a locomotive or something…???

Must be the video camera’s internals whirring away??? Or feedback???

Also try watching it in Full-Screen mode….

Hope you like it…

Randall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7Le0r4ys4

Thanks Stu...

Being able to see the wagon filling up with 'coal' makes the process that much more controllable.

I'm thankful the focal length/depth of field (help me here you photographers out there) is capable of being adjusted right down to between three and six inches. I'll fire off a few shots of the camera mounting later (if I'm still standing - just finished two weeks oncall).

I've lessened the effect of 'stiction' by mixing 'medium cinders' with the 'coarse cinders' (Woodland Scenics).

Randall

Hi Randall,

If you don't mind me asking is it just standard plasticard that you've used to build the shoot and how did you end up mounting the vibrating motor to the assembly? How are you controlling the flow btw, during the loading process?

I presume the bridge and buildings are built from the Slaters brick/stone sheets you referred to?

Tremendous effort - I love layouts like this as they really show what can be done in modelling! Nice weathering on the wagons too. Well done.

Cheers

Rich

Archived