Highly impressive stuff! The station buildings, so unique and iconic, look superb. I've always really liked the Richmond branch since reading Ken Hoole's NER termini book as a lad. 

I presume the layout is set in the 1950s/'60s from the glimpses so far? 

Look forward to seeing more photos in due course!

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d post a couple more photos as I have neglected the thread! 

I’m  currently working on an extension to the main baseboard so that I can extend the goods yard and make it look more like the real Richmond. This extension is 4 feet long by 6 inches wide, and will enable me to extend the road through the goods shed across the front of the station at a lower level than the forecourt, and also to extend a very short siding in front of the goods shed into two sidings that can hold the better part of two full goods trains(a full train being approximately the same length as a 3 coach passenger train, that’s the max my fiddle yard can hold). The photos show the new extension in place and a length of track in the approximate location for the new goods shed road. 

Sadly the size of my room means I’m not going to be able to fit a backscene behind the end of the station, as there’s no space at all for it. This will have to wait until I’ve moved to a larger house with either a larger room or a garage. 

94328844-D68A-48D2-9937-604179E7CBEA.jpeg

C709685C-7D3D-49CA-8B3C-4EA5A612072F.jpeg

• Like 11

• 4 months later...

Not much to report on the layout of late, I’ve recently moved house and the layout is now in the garage, with enough room to extend it by several feet, allowing me to run longer trains and have a lot more room in the goods yard and loco shed areas, not to mention doubling the length of my fiddle yard! I’m currently awaiting time and money to spend insulating the garage to make it a bit more habitable during the winter months, so I’ve recently turned my attention to the growing number of Ian Kirk Gresley suburban coaches I’ve been accumulating. Most of them were purchased in varying states of completeness, and some were already built but in need of remedial work. So I decided I’d try to convert a couple of them into articulated twin sets, and the photos below are some of my efforts so far. Those of you who may know me from the LNER Modellers group on Facebook will have seen my progress over the last few weeks, so apologies for any repetition! Further photos can be uploaded on request 

8782860F-27A9-4D9D-BAF7-8BCB42B09B97.jpeg

A9D0BD76-E5DC-45FC-930F-123C277A5921.jpeg

6607CC41-FDC7-4598-844F-90C28118AEFE.jpeg

• Like 10

• 6 months later...

Good morning! 
Having neglected this thread yet again I thought I’d give you an update! Those of you that are members of the LNER Modellers Facebook group will have already seen this as I post regularly in there. 
I’ve unfortunately had to take a leave of absence from work due to my wife being on the vulnerable list for CVD19, so I’ve managed to crack on with insulating and boarding out my garage. This is now complete and I have been able to not only reassemble the layout, but also make a start on extending it, adapting the new fiddle yard baseboards and even make a start laying some track! See what you think to my photos

97D588D3-B7CB-4DBA-8357-7E14D0118BA6.jpeg

D62F4818-576C-46CC-B7DC-2575F9915A85.jpeg

• Like 5

More photos of recent work, limited to RMWeb’s 10MB limit for photo uploads

so this is the layout in the course or being re erected, with the middle board altered and lengthened and the two fiddle yard boards on the left modified to sit at the same height as the rest of the layout 

5A17C396-8995-41DE-AC3C-1C95FE0543AD.jpeg

Edited by Wingman Mothergoose
Adding text
  • Like 1

I wanted to see what the platform would look like, so I’ve laid out the Peco concrete platform sides in their rough positions. This will enable me to increase train lengths(with main line stock) from the present 4 coaches to 6, depending on the loco, and suburban stock can increase to 7 coaches. Bottom photo shows the track laid for the number 1 carriage siding. Looking forward to getting the track extended some

more then I’ll wire it up and test it 

2D4E0FED-4C3F-4B83-962A-CEC4EB48D497.jpeg

0A5CADFD-6BB2-42D5-80BA-F7035370475E.jpeg

• Like 7

One more for this morning, before my wife makes me start any decorating, thought I'd share with you my track plan. Richmond as you may know was a real station in Richmond in North Yorkshire, and I have based my track pan on that provided to me by the Signalling Record Society, but flipped 180 degrees as that's the way the layout is orientated, and slightly altered to take into account the compromises I've had to make to get the track plan to fit into the space I had available

richmond1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the track laying is proceeding apace, I've managed to get the main lines to a point where I can now think about the fiddle yard. 

8FE0BE27-94CF-4F1E-AC24-3C3E300A642F_1_105_c.jpg.612208d77ea1af9289b71cd25394daf4.jpg1865B552-C096-4B1B-95BB-67C8A8500368_1_105_c.jpg.a2750025edca0b4505c8c16df9d8b4b7.jpg

I've temporarily laid out the points and some track to give a representation of the yard, but I do welcome any ideas or constructive criticism on how I can improve it to maximise the amount of space I have available!

One comment on Facebook last night was to add a couple of kick back sidings to the outer tracks to store locos or shorter trains to free up the long roads for other stock. Another suggestion was to use 3 way points, but I'm not keen on that as I've just removed one from the scenic section of the layout as it kept derailing locos. 

Chris

• Like 3

So yesterday I decided to paint and weather the sides for the platform extension. I'm using Peco concrete platform sides for this, as per the real Richmond, and the colour Peco supply them in is far from what I think concrete should look like! I used Wilko grey primer followed by a dusting of Plastikote matt black sprayed at a distance to make a bit of a patina effect

6A37FBDF-3046-44FF-BFED-F1AD19900018_1_105_c.jpg.16977a324c85a9ecbae8a1c256176003.jpg

• Like 5

On 29/04/2019 at 10:39, Wingman Mothergoose said:

0EA39B25-C854-4D41-B074-5B6D5D445CC2.jpeg

D9B09349-5AB1-4336-BA78-DB1094B60104.jpeg

58DA40DD-A010-496A-9AA9-9375C901455D.jpeg

3FA2C034-BE4E-4322-9F68-67B274F9123E.jpeg

Ah - Richmond!

I started school in Richmond, where my Dad was Borough Engineer; (office in the tower of what is now the Green Howards Museum - directly under the clock bells)!

Saturday mornings were the highlight as, whilst Mum was doing the weekly shopping, Dad would tke me down to the station to watch trains. Friendly locomen would give us a footplate ride down to the turntable, and back. Those tank loco cabs were hot and impressive places at that age!

Happy days!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Looks very interesting build this Chris:good:

Ile take look at your youtube channel and look forward to more on here now..

cheers neil..

Thanks bud, I didn't really know much about this forum until recently, and I intend to post a lot more in here now

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

Thanks bud, I didn't really know much about this forum until recently, and I intend to post a lot more in here now

Chris

Yer ive been on here for years til I lost logging in pass word,so had to start again last year Chris..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Ah - Richmond!

I started school in Richmond, where my Dad was Borough Engineer; (office in the tower of what is now the Green Howards Museum - directly under the clock bells)!

Saturday mornings were the highlight as, whilst Mum was doing the weekly shopping, Dad would tke me down to the station to watch trains. Friendly locomen would give us a footplate ride down to the turntable, and back. Those tank loco cabs were hot and impressive places at that age!

Happy days!

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

I can't imagine what the station must have been like in steam days, I'm far too young to remember steam unfortunately(or Richmond being open).

My original intent was to build a layout based on Chesterfield Marketplace, as the GCR and that area is close to my heart. I was offered the Richmond buildings by one Louis Heath, a fellow member of the LNER Modellers Facebook group, who had built the station in 1975 for his then layout. I couldn't refuse it when I saw it, as I've been to Richmond before and had lunch inside the train shed as well as walked along part of the former track bed(as well as exploring the castle, which was the main reason I went there!). The buildings were in a bit of a sorry state when I bought them, and in places they still are, but now they're safe in my converted garage I can try and improve them and preserve what I can. The layout is still very much in the early stages of construction, having been altered several times to make the track plan closer to the real thing, and the decision to change to DCC last year set construction back too. 

I bet your dad's office was a quiet place to work ;-)

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1