Controller/chip compatibility

tomosap

Hello all,

Wondering if someone could offer some advice please. I'm getting into N gauge modelling, and have bought my first loco and a Gaugemaster DCC chip to covert it.

I need a controller suitable of running this, and was looking to go for the Hornby DCC offering. Looking at the details, it has a list of recommended decoders that it works with, but doesn't mention the Gaugemaster ones - is this a problem?

I guess what I'm asking is, are the chips compatible with any controller, and are the controllers compatible with any chip?

Many thanks,

Tom

• RMweb Gold

DCC is a standard, albeit only certain parts of DCC - but they are the key ones. You should find no difference in performance of a chip by setting the same values for any DCC system. What you will find is that the control layout of the systems varies very widely. Knobs, sliders, buttons - touch-screens, the choice is yours. Within your budget, it is worth looking carefully at what is available - and preferably having a hands-on try with your short list. 

• Agree 1

It would certainly be worth doing a little reading to understand the very basics of DCC.

It’s not rocket science, provided you get your head around a couple of basic concepts .

One of the first things to understand, is that the DCC “chip”, in other words, “decoder”, is the controller by definition.

As Oldddudders says, there is a DCC standard for the transmission of control commands to the decoders fitted in your locos, or trains.

All Digital Command Control (DCC) systems should operate to this standard and if decoders are properly compliant, they should work with any compliant system.

There are lots of DCC systems to choose from, depending on budget and your own requirements.

Hornby are bit of an “also ran” in this field, so have a look around and see what else is available.

Thanks for the replies sent so far - I have experience using digital control in model railways, and understand what DCC is so completely get that. My question is more to do with the suitability of decoders with controllers, and controllers with decoders.

I have seen on a couple of other forums people comment on Hornby being a bit of an outlier when it comes to conformity with DCC standards, hence my original question.

OK that puts a little more perspective on your enquiry.

The cheaper, more basic of the Hornby systems was originally found to be non- compliant and I don’t think that subsequent updates have really rectified that situation.

As such, there has been anecdotal evidence that there are compatibility issues with certain decoders.

The fault lies with the Hornby DCC system, not the decoders.

Hornby’s more expensive Elite system, is supposedly compliant, but not really competitive in functionality or useability terms for the price being asked. YMMV.

I hope that’s of use.

• Like 1

First of all, if you still have the receipt return the Gaugemaster decoder and buy a Zimo one instead, they do both 6 pin and Next18 decoders for 20 quid with motor control that can't be beat.

As far as the controller goes what everyone said above is right. Choose one that suits you, but make sure that is is not too entry level, some of the cheaper systems don't allow upgrades or expansion and these should probably be avoided.

Also right now, the new Lenz LV200 system seems to have a lot of issues that need to be addressed.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 1

Thanks for the above responses folks, much appreciated. Not in a position to return the Gaugemaster decoder unfortunately, but the gentleman in the shop sold it to me specifically to go with the N gauge loco I bought.

Looking at controllers, I've spotted the Gaugemaster DCC01 which is an entry level walkabout DCC controller - theory goes that if the controller and decoder match, shouldn't be any issues? (I'm sure that makes me sound more naive than I actually am!)

Thanks,

Tom

• RMweb Gold

The Gaugemaster series of Prodigy DCC systems are supplied by Model Rectifier Corp, a US firm with a long history of model railway controllers. They seem quite popular with RMwebbers. Again, any DCC system should derive the same results from any decoder. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Which locomotive do you have? N gauge has very little room and I had a Dapol Mallard which, I was told, would only have room for a particular Gaugemaster chip. Others were too big. I returned it as it burnt out on its first run and another chip made no difference. 

With a different locomotive I chipped it with a Zimo decoder (they do really small ones) and it runs a dream with my Prodigy controller. 

Re. the controller, I have a Digitrax Zephyr [DCS51] which works well.

It's an all-in-one box, but extremely expandable, it can be linked to hand throttles, booster stations, there is a USB interface that allows connection with PC control software such as JMRI and via the PC link you can use software throttles on smartphones or tablets etc.

It's rated at 3A on its own. 

I got mine off ebay..

Link to provide the details only, not a supplier recommendation (I think you can find them rather cheaper, in fact).

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-103207/digitrax-dcs51-zephyr-xtra

Whether it's suitable or not probably depends more on what style of throttle you want, eg. if you want a box/console or hand throttles only.

15 hours ago, tomosap said:

Looking at controllers, I've spotted the Gaugemaster DCC01 which is an entry level walkabout DCC controller - theory goes that if the controller and decoder match, shouldn't be any issues? (I'm sure that makes me sound more naive than I actually am!)

There is no 'matching' of decoder & 'controller'.

The 'controller' actually breaks down into 3 components: Throttles, command station & booster. Many systems overlap some of these by combining 2 of more components into 1 device. NCE's PowerCab combines all 3, although you can connect extra throttles to it.

From throttle to command station is proprietary. Some may be compatible, usually where one is a re-branded version of another. For example, you cannot use a Lenz or NCE throttle with your Gaugemaster command station because they use different protocols.

Everything after the command station should be NMRA compliant, including booster & decoder.

Some allow extra features like asymmetric braking & Railcom, which are not part of NMRA standards.

Performance is almost entirely down to the decoder. A decent Zimo or Lenz will always out perform a Hornby or Gaugemaster decoder on any system.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, RobjUK said:

...Whether it's suitable or not probably depends more on what style of throttle you want, eg. if you want a box/console or hand throttles only...

Very much so. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, so it is worth taking the time to find the control interface that fits most happily in or under your hand if operation is a major aspect of the hobby for you. Ideally you want a controller with which you quickly become 'unconsciously competent', so that there is no need to think 'how do I select POM or make a consist', or whatever else it may be that you need to do.

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Everything after the command station should be NMRA compliant, including booster & decoder.

Some allow extra features like asymmetric braking & Railcom, which are not part of NMRA standards.

RailCom is very much part of the NMRA standards.

s-9.3.2

https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/s-9.3.2_2012_12_10.pdf

Ron

• Informative/Useful 1