LHR to Euston journey times

Liam

12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Every time I hear a TfL announcement that says there is a 'Good Service' on the Circle Line I'm tempted to sue them for misleading advertising - there is no such thing.

I completely agree with you about that.

When the service boards show 'good service on all lines' I always think to myself that there is no such thing on the Circle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roythebus said:

If I were going to Lourdes I'd go by Eurostar. It's only a short walk from Euston to St.Pancras and avoids the possible 3 hours it can take from Euston to LHR to getting on the plane and maybe a longer delay when you come back.

Thankfully I’m being driven to LHR (I am NOT looking forward to getting up at 2am to leave the house at 2:30/3am, as check in for the outbound flight is 05:35) so that avoids the need to work out trains for getting to LHR. I think because we’re such a large group the organisers thought it would be better to fly there, rather than go by Eurostar and TGV and coach transfer. 

I’m tempted to go and buy tickets for the Heathrow Express - OK, it may be pricey, but at least it will get me to central London pretty promptly.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Last time I did it I don’t remember Euston Square-Euston being a particularly long or complicated walk but depending how much luggage you have it may be best avoided. Just a thought - does anyone know if Euston tube station takes as long to get through and out of as Kings Cross St Pancras sometimes does?

It’s long enough and too long if you aren’t fit or struggling a bit or get bewildered by traffic/ pedestrian crossings etc.Then the steps out of Euston Square can be daunting with luggage of any serious capacity 

Apart from which,Euston station atm is a grubby,congested blot on our rail network.Whomsoever is in overall control of platform/concourse “management “ seems to have experience gathered at the many now sadly defunct livestock markets around the UK.Not good.Not clever.In its defence,the area is in a state of flux.It can do much better than this though.

The temporary taxi rank appears to be functioning well and tbh is a safer bet for transportation to and from Euston if you can afford it.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Hmmm, BAW375 isn’t expected to touch down at LHR until 18:58. If it was that late on the night then catching the 21:03 would be a challenge to say the least. 

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW375/2124246f

T5 has the easiest road access at LHR. Straight on to M25.If you are heading for the Midlands....is that right?.....then maybe consider coach travel direct than via London main line termini .If it works in terms of schedule and availability that is going to save you one big hassle and the stress of crossing London.Apologies for the heresy of suggesting road travel on this forum but even the M25 does work despite its evil reputation,bearing in mind it’s only a short distance from Heathrow to the M40 and then you’re in the clear,especially at that time.

From where I sit ,having used LHR for over 20 years and T5 despite its occasional glitch is the best of it ,I would not dream of rail travel via London . Air travel is stressful enough as it is thank you. Enjoy your pilgrimage.Lourdes is in a beautiful part of France.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

T5 has the easiest road access at LHR. Straight on to M25.If you are heading for the Midlands....is that right?.....then maybe consider coach travel direct than via London main line termini .If it works in terms of schedule and availability that is going to save you one big hassle and the stress of crossing London.Apologies for the heresy of suggesting road travel on this forum but even the M25 does work despite its evil reputation,bearing in mind it’s only a short distance from Heathrow to the M40 and then you’re in the clear,especially at that time.

From where I sit ,having used LHR for over 20 years and T5 despite its occasional glitch is the best of it ,I would not dream of rail travel via London . Air travel is stressful enough as it is thank you. Enjoy your pilgrimage.Lourdes is in a beautiful part of France.

Yes, Redditch, and probably alighting at Birmingham International. But bearing in mind that for the past 8 nights I’ll be getting a maximum of five hours sleep, with strenuous tasks during the day, I think I’ll be keen to get home as quickly as possible and as smoothly as possible. Indeed, by getting the train to BHX and getting picked up there, I’ll be home at least an hour before the coach even arrives in central Brum. ;)

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Yes, Redditch, and probably alighting at Birmingham International. But bearing in mind that for the past 8 nights I’ll be getting a maximum of five hours sleep, with strenuous tasks during the day, I think I’ll be keen to get home as quickly as possible and as smoothly as possible. Indeed, by getting the train to BHX and getting picked up there, I’ll be home at least an hour before the coach even arrives in central Brum. ;)

Another vote for the coach. If you have a really hectic 8 days out there then perhaps going for the easiest option of the coach might be best. Even if the plane is slightly delayed there should be no problem catching the coach. Just a short walk from the terminal, get on and off to sleep!

The train option will be tight and if your tired perhaps you don’t want the worry when the plane leaves late, your circling in a stack above Heathrow for ages, it takes forever to get off the plane, several A380’s landed just before you so immigration takes ages, waiting for your case etc etc. That is why we always drive to LHR when we could get a train from Leighton Buzzard or Bletchley. I have done it once, it was a stressful and unpleasant end to a great holiday

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interestingly, or perhaps bizarrely this is suggested as an option:B59DC73E-8BF0-4E2A-AE0C-9B47B0F04F8A.png.c86aeea7338a7067c98196e068e28528.png

I had thought Cross Country via Reading might be possible but was surprised that at certain times it is supposedly quicker than travelling via London. Can anyone suggest any bus/coach links direct to Reading though as I feel the in and out TfL/GWR journey legs aren’t especially helpful? And I don’t know how good the timekeeping will be - from experience on other parts of the Cross Country network they are often delayed due to the complex routes but I’ve not really been on them in the south or south west. It does avoid having to navigate London and the various tube options but like the other train and coach ideas is still subject to the plane landing late. 

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• RMweb Premium

Have you considered the Chiltern Line?  HEX to Padd, then two stops Bakerloo.

21.10 ex Marylebone gets into Solihull 22.51 or Warwick Parkway 22.38 if you can get picked up from either of them.

• Informative/Useful 1

How much is an airport taxi from LHR to your house? If you could share it with another person who lives nearby it would probably be surprisingly reasonable. Definitely the lowest stress way of getting to/from the airport, which might be an important factor since it doesn't sound like you're exactly having a holiday.

9 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

How much is an airport taxi from LHR to your house? If you could share it with another person who lives nearby it would probably be surprisingly reasonable. Definitely the lowest stress way of getting to/from the airport, which might be an important factor since it doesn't sound like you're exactly having a holiday.

Probably quite a lot, but there isn't really anyone who lives very close by I could share it with. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

You can spend as much as you like it seems. LHR to Redditch station on 1/8/19 at 7pm on one of the top Google results started at £123.

Maybe that's competitive, maybe it isn't.

The date of travel is 19th July and a quick look at National Rail Enquiries shows under £90 for a single to Redditch. It would be cheaper and quicker to Birmingham International or New Street.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Interestingly, or perhaps bizarrely this is suggested as an option:B59DC73E-8BF0-4E2A-AE0C-9B47B0F04F8A.png.c86aeea7338a7067c98196e068e28528.png

I had thought Cross Country via Reading might be possible but was surprised that at certain times it is supposedly quicker than travelling via London. Can anyone suggest any bus/coach links direct to Reading though as I feel the in and out TfL/GWR journey legs aren’t especially helpful? And I don’t know how good the timekeeping will be - from experience on other parts of the Cross Country network they are often delayed due to the complex routes but I’ve not really been on them in the south or south west. It does avoid having to navigate London and the various tube options but like the other train and coach ideas is still subject to the plane landing late. 

That is probably not the easiest way of getting from LHR to Reading with luggage.  Taking the Airlink coach would be simpler (but probably costs more) or even going into Paddington on Heathrow Connect would be better for changing trains but again it would cost more.  MY daughter normally catches a service 'bus from West Drayton as that is quicker than going via Hayes & H but she is travelling from an intermediate station east of Reading although it would probably still be quicker to Reading than going via Hayes.  But not an easy route if you don't know it.

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

This is getting quite Dantean... Of what sin would one have to be unrepentant to be condemned to travel the circle line for eternity?

You need a sin to be condemned to travel on the Circle Line for eternity - that's not fair on sinners :jester:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

The date of travel is 19th July and a quick look at National Rail Enquiries shows under £90 for a single to Redditch. It would be cheaper and quicker to Birmingham International or New Street.

But if you split the tickets then usually you can make a good saving, even if it's for the same train. 

15 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

From where I sit ,having used LHR for over 20 years and T5 despite its occasional glitch is the best of it 

Whereas from where I sit (flying longhaul so often for work that I’d be banned on the thread about reducing your carbon footprint), I’d say T2 is now vastly better than T5.

T5 suffers from “bloat” so it can take a looong time to get to/from your gate (autocorrect kept changing that to “fate”, which seems right), especially if you’re in a satellite, and doubly especially if the transit is OOS and you have to walk through the endless tunnels. Ask me how I know that).

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

To be honest, I'd personally pay the £30 extra every time (assuming the cost on that date is the same), given that it's a longish journey that will finish in the late evening and the start time is subject to the variables of arriving at LHR on time, getting through immigration and waiting at the carousel for a bag.

Advance tickets would be cheaper, but considering the variables I wouldn't touch one with yours for this journey.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Fenman said:

Whereas from where I sit (flying longhaul so often for work that I’d be banned on the thread about reducing your carbon footprint), I’d say T2 is now vastly better than T5.

T5 suffers from “bloat” so it can take a looong time to get to/from your gate (autocorrect kept changing that to “fate”, which seems right), especially if you’re in a satellite, and doubly especially if the transit is OOS and you have to walk through the endless tunnels. Ask me how I know that).

Paul

East doesn’t meet west here obviously and I do take your point.For me it’s just the convenience of a direct drive with only a short immersion in the magic roundabout,decent on airport hotel (Sofitel) with parking .Transit is however a problem if you have a connecting flight and your incoming is delayed.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

To be honest, I'd personally pay the £30 extra every time (assuming the cost on that date is the same), given that it's a longish journey that will finish in the late evening and the start time is subject to the variables of arriving at LHR on time, getting through immigration and waiting at the carousel for a bag.

Advance tickets would be cheaper, but considering the variables I wouldn't touch one with yours for this journey.

And given the timing of the incoming flight your options....such as they stand.....are diminished.

One other rail option you should consider is Marylebone to Solihull if still fixed upon rail travel.Fares late on are ridiculously cheap .You might be pleasantly surprised if you look. Nearer to Redditch too......

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Have you considered the Chiltern Line?  HEX to Padd, then two stops Bakerloo.

21.10 ex Marylebone gets into Solihull 22.51 or Warwick Parkway 22.38 if you can get picked up from either of them.

If this is an option for you, I would recommend it.

Bakerloo is the most reliable at Paddington.

Chiltern tends to do what it says on the tin, with less of the “army” & drama of virgin.

Very quick connection possible from Paddington... 15-20mins from exiting HEX to exiting Marylebone tube... ive managed leg it in 10 !!! (Secret is to use the “mouse hole” entrance to the tube by plat 10/11).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1