Courier for Enamels?

I’ve pretty much decided to get rid of my enamel paints. I just don’t get on with them -especially Phoenix Precision ones - preparation, cleaning, airbrushing, and especially airbrush cleanup, seems much more effort, and results seem less consistent than acrylics. 

Even if I wanted to give them away to someone who still uses them, I don’t seem to be able to find any courier with high street drop off who will take them. As well as Royal Mail and Parcelforce banning solvent based paints, the same seems to be true with myHermes and CollectPlus.

Is there any way for individuals to send enamels? I guess businesses with courier accounts and collections etc can use a wider range of services.

I guess the only other option would be to hang on to them until next spring and put them into the MRC second hand sale at the show.

I had a similar problem in reverse  but it was ordering a couple of bottles of Scalecoat 1 from the USA .The mail cost was Hazmat strength  Fedex and cost over 100 UKP plus VAT and handling charge .I thought about asking him to just shove it in a few box car kits but didnt want to get him in trouble .In the end I worked out just what Scale coat 1 is  as I had read an article describing it about 3o years ago  and luckily its available  here under its proper name in litre cans  ,Its fine as long as you want black or some  RAL colors .I only wanted black .one lad in out local post office always asks whats in a parcel .None of the others do.

Edited by friscopete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - Im surprised youve had bad results wit hthe pheonix presicion paints, I find them the complete opposite and starting to prefer them over railmatch paints, which ive not liked the finnish. With regards to couriers DHL, Myhermes and UPS, Fedex etc are the "ban free couriers" of choice it would seem these days, some sellers of paints use Royal mail, but seem to get away with it by sending the paint in a box with extra packaging , makes it easier though as royal mail just drop it off, the others sometimes need you to be in to sign for them 

NL

I don't think a company with "paints" in their title would get away with it somehow. :lol:

Just be careful as it's an offence to send hazardous material through the post. You might "get away" with it. But if that package leaks and it's got your name on it then it could come back to bite you. I'm especially talking about shops doing it. Just pay a bit extra and send by courier.

Common sense? Yes. I take it you haven't been covered in liquids leaking out of packets whilst sorting mail? Especially since you don't even know what it is....

Jason

• RMweb Premium
On 28/07/2019 at 21:13, justin1985 said:

Is there any way for individuals to send enamels? I guess businesses with courier accounts and collections etc can use a wider range of services.

I guess the only other option would be to hang on to them until next spring and put them into the MRC second hand sale at the show.

You could ask Precision what courier they use.

Or put them on Ebay as Collect Only, though this will depress the price somewhat.

18 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just be careful as it's an offence to send hazardous material through the post. You might "get away" with it. But if that package leaks and it's got your name on it then it could come back to bite you. I'm especially talking about shops doing it. Just pay a bit extra and send by courier.

Common sense? Yes. I take it you haven't been covered in liquids leaking out of packets whilst sorting mail? Especially since you don't even know what it is....

"Might get away with it"?

Almost certainly I'd say - miracle if you didn't.  Me, I'd make the lids are on very tight, then wrap sellotape up the side, over the top and down the other side.  Then place all tins in one, or even two self sealing jiffy bags with the top taped.  Box 'em up with plenty of padding.  Job done.

In case anyone feels otherwise, I wonder if they also never exceed 30 in a 30 limit.....

Incoming....

• Like 1