Bachmann N class 2-6-0 #32-152 mazak rot

GWR-fan

I knew that at least one BR black N2 suffered the dreaded lurgy and now I know which one.  I believe that the dual anniversary pack also suffered.  All three models that this store has are affected with a wavy running board and misplaced cab position.  Odd that the store has not lowered the price on all three available.  Probably good for spares but would need to reduce the price a little more to make attractive for the scratch builder.  Ironic that the cab number is an unlucky "13".

https://www.hattons.co.uk/477280/bachmann_branchline_32_152_po13_class_n_2_6_0_31813_in_br_black_with_late_crest_pre_owned_bent_running_boards_/stockdetail.aspx

Edit:  the store always gets it wrong.  The chassis is not a split chassis and is extremely easy to modify to fit a decoder.

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info to alter the heading to reflect accuracy

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of changing the thread title and contents to reflect that the model involved is the N class 2-6-0? Sounds pedantic, but Hornby have a model of an N2 (in this case a GNR/LNER origin 0-6-2T) and it certainly confused me at first reading.

• Agree 6

59 minutes ago, Andy W said:

Any chance of changing the thread title and contents to reflect that the model involved is the N class 2-6-0? Sounds pedantic, but Hornby have a model of an N2 (in this case a GNR/LNER origin 0-6-2T) and it certainly confused me at first reading.

I altered the heading but I thought that anyone reading the original heading would assume that a "Bachmann N2" was a Bachmann N2 and nothing to do with a Hornby product and the thread is in the Bachmann sub-section further infering that the topic related to a Bachmann product.  Have Bachmann made other than an N2 (2-6-0)?  Maybe there was a subliminal message that I was not aware of or am I missing something??????

Bachmann did supply a free running plate to replace these N class that had suffered from such rot. Had they not, then I would have used the chassis and other bits for a W1.

Here is mine which I did a good number of years ago. Showing before the rotted plate was replaced and after.

Mine did post-15098-0-50117200-1465504407_thumb.jpgpost-15098-0-83809900-1465504429_thumb.jpgpost-15098-0-55580300-1465504465_thumb.jpgpost-15098-0-98877200-1465504665_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree,

i did the same, except I broke the mazak rot chassis into smaller pieces and put it as scrap load into a wagon...

it kind of looks creepily recognisable in a mineral wagon !

Bachmann supplied the replacement chassis free (and shipped as extra payload in an order for other bits) , though that chassis didn't include lamp irons, steps, reverser, buffers, drawbar, smoke deflectors etc, which I removed from the original and refitted to the new one.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1