Maroon Mk1’s

TravisM

15 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I have the same series of books and have just checked that image, which needed magnification.  One of those vehicles is a definitely a DMU car based on door positions so is probably in Strathclyde livery (Orange with a dark brown band).  I'm also not convinced that the lining isn't actually the white lining on the grey band, which is very discoloured.  The carriages are for scrap, so could have been attracting dirt for a long time or even smoke damaged. 

I disagree. The door positions that you mention and suggest is DMU are the same as the corridor side of a mark 1 compo, and certainly the vehicles in question have the same bodyside profile and window heights as the adjacent blue/grey mark 1s.  The livery which may well be dirty, very much looks like a dark overall colour with some light coloured lining.

I am not suggesting that maroon stock was in use up until 1983 but could these be long 'forgotten' coaches stored at the back of a depot or works somewhere.

Edited by andy stroud
extra thought am
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, andy stroud said:

I disagree. The door positions that you mention and suggest is DMU are the same as the corridor side of a mark 1 compo, and certainly the vehicles in question have the same bodyside profile and window heights as the adjacent blue/grey mark 1s.  The livery which may well be dirty, very much looks like a dark overall colour with some light coloured lining.

I am not suggesting that maroon stock was in use up until 1983 but could these be long 'forgotten' coaches stored at the back of a depot or works somewhere.

Departmental disposals? Although not lined many were one colour.......olive, blue, red.  Without a look at the photo I guess we're stumped! I don't have access to that particular review. 

Regards

Guy 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Probably the last Maroon mk1 to be painted Blue and Grey would be NE 4350, a TSO at the East Lancashire Railway.

It was one of 4 purchased for the Boyne City Railroad in 1971, which saw 3 of them, and a Meaford RSH shipped out to Michigan in the US. NE 4350 never followed and remained hidden in Bury Transport Museum, in as withdrawn Maroon condition, until 1987 when it was simply revarnished and entered service on the newly opened ELR.

it still had a very original red seated interior, varnished woods and signs proclaiming it was £5 for pulling the communications cord.

Somewhere in the early 2000s they decided to paint it Blue and Grey, possibly its first full repaint and overhaul from new, though now its Crimson and Cream.

However...

The other 3 Maroon mk1’s are still Maroon.. 2 are at the railroad depot in Standish Michigan, still in Maroon... NE 24199 and NE 24551. The CK NE15055 is thought to be in Tennessee... surely the last original Maroon mk1’s in existence.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 4