brylonscamel

I'm glad it's not just me that likes ancient brickwork. I was wondering if there was something wrong with me...

Keep up the good work, it has inspired me to put a little bit extra into all of my models, even though they're nowhere near as grand in stature.

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm glad it's not just me that likes ancient brickwork. I was wondering if there was something wrong with me...

There might be something wrong with you - but ay least you are not alone!

I am often lost in the company of old brickwork. We have lots of it in Bristol, often with beautiful patterns created by the bricklayers or through ageing process. I'm also amazed at how much care was taken down a back wall or tucked away out-of-view!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ColinW said:

Will be good to see these in place on the layout, with locos in the vicinity.

Hi Colin - you and me both! The shed is 100 miles from its home layout at the moment and it'll be great to place it back in the scene with locos 'in the vicinity'. I picked up some shed staff from Alan at ModelU and we also have oil drums, barrows, yard lamps and piles of sleepers to help complete the scene.

Cheers,
Brian

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

All this talk of fancy brickwork reminds me that I need to build an outside lav or "cludgie" for my layout. There will be at least one solder arch and ridge tiles to get elaborate with!

Yes - even a sh*thouse needs some nice details and brickwork!

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great and a far more impressive piece of "wall art" than the usual offerings! As usual, I can't stop looking at the way that you have painted the brickwork, unlike you, I am having to stop myself from making buildings that I don't need but want to build because I can and actually get on with building the layout I have underway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That looks great and a far more impressive piece of "wall art" than the usual offerings! As usual, I can't stop looking at the way that you have painted the brickwork, unlike you, I am having to stop myself from making buildings that I don't need but want to build because I can and actually get on with building the layout I have underway.

I know what you mean - there is definitely scope for being distracted by projects that have no purpose on a layout but just look fun to make. Going commercial with my model-making should reduce the risk of that happening!

• 2 months later...
On 06/01/2020 at 12:43, brylonscamel said:

I had a chance to tart up some previously scratch-built buildings like this little harbourside weighbridge office.

Here it is with a tiled roof, some roof decoration, new windows and a bit of paint ...

braeside-mk2-05.jpg

That is really cute. Something similar with some added adverts and clutter would make a good newsagents kiosk on a station forecourt.

1 minute ago, Martin S-C said:

That is really cute. Something similar with some added adverts and clutter would make a good newsagents kiosk on a station forecourt.

Thanks Martin - I agree it could easily double-up as a platform kiosk. I also think I could make a tidier version these days!

On 15/08/2020 at 03:19, brylonscamel said:

So the distillery office is done, complete with a witches hat  for a roof!

I'm sure the administrators and visitors to the Braeside distillery will be very happy to finally have it available to use!

braeside-distillery-office-05.jpg

braeside-distillery-office-06.jpg

braeside-distillery-office-07.jpg

That is gorgeous and truly stunning work. I bet you're pleased with it!

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 00:20, brylonscamel said:

Spurred on by a conversation on this forum, I've found a way to make the most of a scratch-built signal box that's been homeless for a while. It's a nice model but doesn't fit the revamped 'Braeside '. It was based closely on the box at Camperdown Junction in Dundee and is frankly huge and out of place on the layout.

However, it does look rather dandy in a 'shadow box' picture frame. The internal box with the slatted front is made from scored foam-board and the sign is one of my 'stencil and airbrush' jobs with a bit of weathering.

shadow-box-camperdown-01a.jpg.8f9156c0b715517eb100b976adf1697c.jpg

For me this is the most beautiful modelled brickwork I've ever seen. I think only Pendon exceeds this and that mostly because of the sheer quantity of buildings, though Roye of course spent most of his adult life making those.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

That is gorgeous and truly stunning work. I bet you're pleased with it!

I am pleased at the result - it was also shared on a local FB group for Aberlour (the building is based closely on the distillery office at Aberlour). Apparently it went down very well amongst the staff there!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Braeside is Back

Finally, a long overdue contribution to Dad's layout 'Braeside' was possible last week as it was safe to visit my elderly folks. In anticipation, I quickly knocked up a bridge to take a rural road over the railway in one corner of the layout and returned the engine shed that I have weathered at home.

Here is the bridge, made from 'Foamex' and embossed sheet styrene in double-quick time ...

20210530_102517.jpg

braeside-bridge-01.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Braeside Engine Shed Update

With 'Caledonian' style shed back in-situ after work on the brickwork, it was time to grab some photos ..

braeside-shed-01-INSTAGRAM.jpg

braeside-shed-02.jpg

braeside-shed-03.jpg

braeside-shed-04.jpg

braeside-shed-06-bw.jpg

braeside-shed-07.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
add whitespace between images
  • Like 13

Where have all the signals gone!?

Here is a 'work-in-progress' view of the main line, from the signal box end.

Ballasting, rodding, signalling and telegraphy are all absent, but it conveys the view as the railway passes the distillery, before hitting the bend.

I have done a skills trade with a fellow modeller and signaller (Martyn, the chap behind 'Crinan'). He has very kindly sketched out a signalling diagram for us. As I am lost when it comes to block signalling practice, I am thrilled to be given a plan to site signals prototypically.

braeside-trackwork-02.jpg

• Like 16

34 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

Where have all the signals gone!?

Here is a 'work-in-progress' view of the main line, from the signal box end.

Ballasting, rodding, signalling and telegraphy are all absent, but it conveys the view as the railway passes the distillery, before hitting the bend.

I have done a skills trade with a fellow modeller and signaller (Martyn, the chap behind 'Crinan'). He has very kindly sketched out a signalling diagram for us. As I am lost when it comes to block signalling practice, I am thrilled to be given a plan to site signals prototypically.

braeside-trackwork-02.jpg

What a lovely shot that is

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rolling back the years

Despite the pandemic shenanigans, I'm still making trips to my folks and helping out with Dad's layout.

We have a small collection of locos and stock from the BR Blue era. They represent the time I fell in love with Scotland's railways. Aberdeen was a base for 'Freedom of Scotland' tickets with 1980-84 the most amazing period for combining family holiday's in the north with a bit of bashing, at a time when practically everything seemed to be loco hauled!

Here are  a couple of shots (using the DSLR) of the 'BR Blue' fleet getting to pose on the layout.

braeside-BW-INSTA-01.jpg

braeside-BW-INSTA-02.jpg

braeside-trackside-02.jpg

braeside-trackside-03-INSTA.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Buses for Braeside

The view from the roadway on the bridge, with the 'Alexanders' coaches in Bluebird liveries. The Northern livery is a respray using decals to complete the livery.

Of course the one thing that's needed is a driver!

braeside-bridge-03a.jpg

braeside-bridge-03b.jpg

• Like 8