brylonscamel

Gosh! It didn't take long before the garage acquired the patina of use.

I also used my new budget laser-printer to knock up some paper signs, both the garage name and some vintage automotive ones.

I'm thrilled at the result, with lots more custom-designed signage possible.

bm-garage-02.thumb.jpg.a85638f8197d5ec0538f66318e6fa911.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A scruffy rural garage is almost as important as the railway buildings on any post 1920 layout 

I even had an excuse, having pinched 'Aboyne' as subject for my station buildings. There, tantalisingly in the background of period photos was "Allan & Blacks Station Garage'.

Dad is keen on cars, so it gives a perfect excuse for a rotating cast of vehicles out front!

I suspect this is the case for lots of modellers - does that include you?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

I even had an excuse, having pinched 'Aboyne' as subject for my station buildings. There, tantalisingly in the background of period photos was "Allan & Blacks Station Garage'.

Dad is keen on cars, so it gives a perfect excuse for a rotating cast of vehicles out front!

I suspect this is the case for lots of modellers - does that include you?

It certainly does, one arm of my family ran a village garage in Leicestershire from the early 20s to the early 90s.

The garage on my layout is based upon that.

I've always been interested in classic cars and bikes. The BSA outside Beach Garage is one of mine.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

To my shame, I had to look up the name - but I was aware of the ground-breaking model 'Madder Valley'

The infamous Bert's Garage. There were plans for it in his book over seventy years ago.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've always been interested in classic cars and bikes. The BSA outside Beach Garage is one of mine.

When you said "The BSA .. is one of mine" I assumed the image would be of something about 8mm high  - not a beautiful 1:1 scale motorcycle! 

PS The 'Beach Garage' has similar proportions to 'Michie's Motors' - it seems to be a typical UK garage style. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There were (and probably still are) books on designing garages for maximum efficiency and visual effect. Some were produced by fuel companies and others by motor manufacturers. The earlier ones were filled with detailed drawings and fantastic full colour hand renderings of what you could build. I did at one time have a large A3 folder produced by BMC around 1954 that really took the imagination. 

On a much smaller scale, copies of The Motorcyclist's Workshop contained some really nice period illustrations of the "ideal" motorcycle owner's home workshop, which would make an interesting model for a back garden as a change from the usual greenhouse or garden shed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have a CD with 70k of drawings for everything you could imagine and many things you wouldn't believe. It too has plans for workshops and garage workshops, although it's very American it has some really great designs including shops, houses, barns, wells and furniture of every description. The plans for dwellings even have wiring, flue, water, sewage and ventilation details for both on and off grid situations. It even has a design for an overshot water wheel. eBay £3.75 with free postage. God bless eBay.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

On 13/07/2022 at 17:41, lezz01 said:

I have a CD with 70k of drawings for everything you could imagine and many things you wouldn't believe.

I'll bear that in mind if I ever need to construct a bizarre model-maker's man cave!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Delivery Boy!

A big part of leaving 'Metcalfeshire' was honouring my pledge to replace all the buildings and update the scenery to reflect something of Aberdeenshire and the Scottish east coast.

I'm really happy that I was able to make good on my promise last weekend with the last of the buildings delivered

The complete list of new scratch-built architecture:

• A 'highland' distillery - inspired by 'The Ardmore' at Kennethmont
  • Distillery office  - based on one at Aberlour
  • Station buildings - based on Aboyne
  • Engine shed - a cut down version of a Caledonian shed
  • Signal Boxes - inspired by example at Stonehaven and Dyce
  • Harbourside buildings - based on a style typical of the East Neuk of Fife
  • Small domestic buildings - based on 'but & ben'  style cottages from the north-east
  • Large domestic buildings - granite tenements (likely to be replaced with smaller buildings from Aboyne or Inverurie)
  • A commercial car garage - inspiration from 'Allan & Blacks' at Aboyne
  • Stone and girder road bridge - freelanced from an example in southern Scotland
Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3

If in doubt, ask an expert

My weak spot is the operational side of the railway. When I chased trains around the country as a youth, I was preoccupied with motive power and had my head in timetables and shed allocation books. The more raucous or rare the loco, the happier I was. I didn't have my head in signalling manuals!

I need help with things like signalling and reached out to someone who works signalling the real railway. Armed with a signalling diagram, I should be able to site signals to a plan.

The diagram suggested signal bridges would help in a couple of places.  I was dead keen on the idea as as they lend proper railway elegance to the scene.

bm-braeside-jun-2022-02c-FLICKR.jpg.3877d3073a95bd0ece1b75a2a31c2252.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Delivery Boy!

A big part of leaving 'Metcalfeshire' was honouring my pledge to replace all the buildings and update the scenery to reflect something of Aberdeenshire and the Scottish east coast.

I'm really happy that I was able to make good on my promise last weekend with the last of the buildings delivered

The complete list of new scratch-built architecture:

• A 'highland' distillery - inspired by 'The Ardmore' at Kennethmont
  • Distillery office  - based on one at Aberlour
  • Station buildings - based on Aboyne
  • Engine shed - a cut down version of a Caledonian shed
  • Signal Boxes - inspired by example at Stonehaven and Dyce
  • Harbourside buildings - based on a style typical of the East Neuk of Fife
  • Small domestic buildings - based on 'but & ben'  style cottages from the north-east
  • Large domestic buildings - granite tenements (likely to be replaced with smaller buildings from Aboyne or Inverurie)
  • A commercial car garage - inspiration from 'Allan & Blacks' at Aboyne
  • Stone and girder road bridge - freelanced from an example in southern Scotland

A sterling effort Brian, especially in parallel with you new business. I am sure your Dad is well pleased.

Cheers

David

• Like 3

Open for business ..

'Michies Garage' found it's way to Dad's Braeside layout and has found a home where the overbridge crosses the railway.

They mostly serve the local area but occasional visitors arrive from south-of-the-border, asking for "Mr Mitchy".

The owner Gordon Michie arches a weary eyebrow as he goes to recover their car. 

bm-garage-12-FLICKR.jpg.88cc0c5037f31d19380c7c52bcab7739.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Brilliant work, takes me back to being about ten years old, just as places like that were disappearing.

I know exactly how you feel. There was a local bicycle shop that had a similar "Era 3" feel to it. I used to love going there and peering around the workshop at the lathes, pillar drills and tools festooning the walls. The chap who ran it was already semi-retired and kept unpredictable hours. Most times you needed to ring the doorbell to the flat and he would come out and fix your bike.

I once showed interest in the B&W photos of riders on one wall (they looked like ancient images to my eyes). Turns out he had been a demon at the local club races!

Needless to say my bike was always handed back in top fettle.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...