brylonscamel

7 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

It's something I'm getting into! can you imagine having a crack at this?

1280px-Harlaxton_manor.jpg

There are people out there who would whittle that out of a couple of sheets of plasticard, I think that I would leave it to those lucky enough to own a 3d printer! :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColinW said:

I shall look forward to seeing your station building build.

Thanks Colin, I am looking forward to starting on the copy of Aboyne. I've never tackled a scratch-built station before and it feels like a necessary part of my apprenticeship as railway modeller!

The next couple of weeks see me trying to clear the decks of some little jobs (commercial and personal) so I can crack on with the bigger stuff in January.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 00:05, brylonscamel said:

.. and on the subject of the station at Braeside, this is quite literally 'the plan'

aboyne-plan-gnosr-1895-SMALL.jpg.0925ea8952ece0434ade0e809108c76c.jpg ...

Really looking forward to seeing your model of Aboyne. The great thing is the building still exists and is in good condition so pictures are easy to find. There is also a video on YouTube of the Deeside railway in 1966 which includes a bit of footage of the building including some shots inside.

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, David Bell said:

The great thing is the building still exists and is in good condition so pictures are easy to find.

Hi David -

Dad took  a load of photos when he was up Deeside last year - which is great. And there are quite a few good ones from the archive. This colour one is a beauty ..

aboyne-station-colour-photos -platforms.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 10

In a tough year, model-making has been an absolute tonic and the start of a new working life, making models for a living. Thanks to all that have commented on this thread, chatted  about model-making, helped with ideas and shared their experiences and knowledge with me. Here's to the future and hoping you get some joy, peace or pleasure from Christmas. 

christmas-2020-cropped.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, 37403 said:

Can you describe how you go about painting and weathering?

The first photo "Shelby Company Ltd" shows three basic stages. 

1. Halfords 'rattle can' red-oxide base coat with a fine lightweight filler smeared into the brickwork mortar courses
  2. An off-white coat - for the sign background  -sprayed onto a masked area of the brickwork.  The area is then weathered with a bit of dry-brushing and brickwork detail picked out by hand
  3. A low-tack film mask is used to mask the lettering and a coat of very dark grey applied with an airbrush. With the film removed, the finishing touches are done by hand with a brush

After priming, all paintwork is done using artists acrylic paint and Vallejo modelling acrylics.

Edited by brylonscamel
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The engine shed was built last year but I hadn't finished weathering the brickwork. I'm making a start now, to give it that industrial look.

I'll also have a go at scribing the corner joins in the mortar courses  which really show up in these photos!

bm-engine-shed-images-02c.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
update message
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Hi Brian, 

I love this shed. I know you based it on Grangemouth which as I have said before was my local shed when i was a lad. We seemed to have a free run of it on Sundays which was good because the shed would be full. I dont remember ever being chased away!

Cheers

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Bell said:

I love this shed. I know you based it on Grangemouth which as I have said before was my local shed when i was a lad. We seemed to have a free run of it on Sundays which was good because the shed would be full. I dont remember ever being chased away!

Hi David - it's great to hear about your association with Grangemouth - sadly a shed I never managed to visit in its heyday. The impression I get from talking to people is that Scottish sheds were easy going with visitors.  It was certainly our experience at Aberdeen Ferryhill (a shed with remarkable architectural similarities to Grangemouth) where Dad and I were to wander the shed freely with only a 'watch out and don't do anything stupid' instruction. One local rail enthusiast friend told me how at Eastfield, the staff were keen to see him safely on a bus after his visit - the area being a bit rough-around-the-edges in the 80s. 

There's also a fantastic article from 'Steam Days' magazine devoted to the story of an English schoolboy who wrote to the railway office in charge of Aberdeen with a request for a footplate ride. He got a reply with a pass and an instruction to go to Kittybrewster at 5am where they made arrangements for a round trip to Fraserburgh with the crew of the local pick-up goods. It's a lovely article - if I find the copy I'll send one up.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, David Bell said:

-After you mentioned the book with the Grangemouth shed drawing in it I went searching for it and found a copy. Some interesting sheds in there

Scotland is rich with interesting railway buildings. I look forward to receiving my copy  of the book you recommended to me about its railway infrastructure.

Edited by brylonscamel
Correct text

The 'Caledonian shed that 

On 10/01/2021 at 18:09, David Bell said:

After you mentioned the book with the Grangemouth shed drawing in it I went searching for it and found a copy. Some interesting sheds in there

The Grangemouth style shed has been back with me for a while to weather the brickwork and add some details. Dad also accidentally knocked a roof vent off - which is easily done! In fact I told him to be careful of vents and finials on various buildings and then proceeded to knock a couple off myself!