brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

There's only one way to find out. l will have to pop the little skirted gas works Barclay on there and take a photo. I'll pencil it in for a future visit!

Standing by to stand by..............

• Funny 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I found some - very fragile - 3D printed ridge tiles online and fashioned some finials from styrene to complete the roof, prior to painting.

Little flourishes like these should bring the elegance of the original back to life.

bm-station-FLIKR-01.thumb.jpg.6e18661e02be0c2b63c279b0385bb164.jpg

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The racehorse and a mule

A reminder of what the final objective is - somewhere to play trains with my father.

Here's our 'Caledonian' engine shed with locomotives at each end of the scale, waiting for an opportunity to stretch their legs ..

bm-engine-shed-images-FLICKR-01.thumb.jpg.12e3f8f29ab1a43ca2082aa32e2a9a8e.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

8 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

If in doubt, go freelance!

Not a comment on my work status, more on the tricky subject of the far platform building at Aboyne.

I've seen archive photos and know it was a wooden structure, with windows similar to those on the main building but it was in pretty dilapated condition and I'm not being slavish with it - Aboyne is mostly inspiration for our station.

That's my excuse and nothing to do with a ticking clock!  Anyway, I'm freelancing it using my spares!

From what I can tell, it was an attractive building with that GNoSR 'look' with panelled woodwork and fancy frames, so I'm sure it will look 'bonny' when finished.

bm-station-FLIKR-02.thumb.jpg.c12365a6f54de77b51a5ecef1968f712.jpg

Wow!!! cant saying anything else. Wow wow wow.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

You can say that again.

Great work (as usual).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

If in doubt, go freelance!

Not a comment on my work status, more on the tricky subject of the far platform building at Aboyne.

I've seen archive photos and know it was a wooden structure, with windows similar to those on the main building but it was in pretty dilapated condition and I'm not being slavish with it - Aboyne is mostly inspiration for our station.

That's my excuse and nothing to do with a ticking clock!  Anyway, I'm freelancing it using my spares!

From what I can tell, it was an attractive building with that GNoSR 'look' with panelled woodwork and fancy frames, so I'm sure it will look 'bonny' when finished.

bm-station-FLIKR-02.thumb.jpg.c12365a6f54de77b51a5ecef1968f712.jpg

Fantastic work Brian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Bell said:

Fantastic work Brian

Cheers David - I was going through my box of spares for the station canopy columns and came across some others , destined for use on the 'Wadlaw chapel'. Well at least I was planning ahead!

7 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Likewise. I keep having to look at those window frames, wow indeed.

7 hours ago, teaky said:

Great work (as usual).

One thing you learn when reproducing these things - how much work went into the design, making and fitting  of the originals!

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Absolutely love what you're doing on this model. It's an area I visit each year so can see how well you've captured its essence.

I hope you don't mind but I happened to have a photo of the "station" at Braemar* and wondered if you'd like to see it.

All the best. Andy

*obviously the line never went past Ballater, but GNoSR must have had a presence in the village. 

20210807_123404.thumb.jpg.fb8d587fa61b7fd84998ccd4928588dc.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The architecture makes me think of similar structures in Canada.

Coincidentally there was a Canadian presence on Deeside. But this was during WWII when logging camps were set up. You can still see the remains of one of the camps just south of Ballater. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Hi Brian,

Absolutely love what you're doing on this model. It's an area I visit each year so can see how well you've captured its essence.

I hope you don't mind but I happened to have a photo of the "station" at Braemar* and wondered if you'd like to see it.

All the best. Andy

*obviously the line never went past Ballater, but GNoSR must have had a presence in the village. 

Cheers Andy - was that the terminus for the bus service - I'm sure the bus from Ballater to Braemar was operated by the Great North of Scotland Railway? The windows are a dead giveaway!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brylonscamel said:

Cheers Andy - was that the terminus for the bus service - I'm sure the bus from Ballater to Braemar was operated by the Great North of Scotland Railway? The windows are a dead giveaway!

Hi Brian,

I believe so. As you probably know a prominent local resident objected to the railway passing by her holiday home. So the line was terminated at Ballater. You can see where there was an attempt to push the line up the valley - before QV got wind of it! 

I thought you'd like to see those windows. 🙂

The building can be found on Castleton Place (57.006584,-3.397065).

I believe its now a private residence.

Keep up the good work!

Andy

Edited by AndyB

On 05/07/2022 at 21:29, lezz01 said:

Outstanding work as always Brian.

Regards Lez.

Cheers Lez .. I'm on the home run with the station buildings - the canopies are another matter!

Here are the two buildings alongside each other, as they will be when fitted to the platforms ..

bm-aboyne-platform-shelter-05-RMWEB.thumb.jpg.6e4e17049377d9b0bfdbaeb16a93b697.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Quicker than a Kwik Fit fitter?

I just knocked up a vehicle garage, based loosely on one that used to sit by the station at Aboyne.

It'll give somewhere for Dad to set some period vehicles and create a working garage, with all the usual paraphernalia; fuel pumps, tyres, signage, oil drums, things under tarpaulins and other tat!

bm-garage-01.thumb.jpg.09bde0c3e31340b2213e7f1dc36cd749.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1