brylonscamel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After a disastrous mould-making adventure, I ended up having to rescue some buildings that were trapped in some unforgiving blocks of silicone rubber.

Most were rescued from the broken pile of silicone with minor damage.

This liberated cottage should be happy now that it is breathing fresh coastal air and will now find a home amidst the coastal buildings on Dad's harbour branch.

bm-diorama-coastal-large-cottage.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

That's a really great scene. The figure is beautifully painted, the cottage is wonderful, with very realistic weathering, nicely bedded in to the groundcover. The only thing that detracts from it are the un-prototypical axles on the otherwise stunning, albeit too clean, Transit van. I do wish manufactures would try harder with the wheels and axles on diecast vehicles. Maybe it's something that 3D printing could address.

Regards Lez.  

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I do wish manufactures would try harder with the wheels and axles on diecast vehicles. Maybe it's something that 3D printing could address.

I'm not so up on developments in vehicle models but I have seen larger scale models being kitted out with really impressive 3D printed wheels. It would be a great upgrade for the sort of die-cast models that we  rely on in 1:76

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I know you can get replacement resin wheels for model aircraft that are "loaded" to simulate the weight of the aircraft and I do something to them with a hot blade when I build aircraft model kits so I'm wondering if you can get wheels for road vehicles. I'll have a look on Hannants' website.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

You can get away with filing a very slight flat on the bottom of the tyre which makes a surprising difference to the look of weight, as does painting the tyre walls a dark brownish grey. 

An extreme example is this stripped out 1913 Ford, the tyres being totally deflated and sinking into the ground when on the layout.

IMG_20230121_215051.jpg.9e39fd59f7c5693222a8695dfc07d12a.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

So I've been looking on some sites and CMK do some wheels for military vehicles in 1/72nd scale. Most of them will be too big but there are a couple of examples meant for trailers and small artillery pieces that look promising. There are also some military vehicle kits that would make good donors but then you're left with vehicle kits with no wheels and tyres. I suppose you could build them without and put them behind a wall or hedge and use the wheels from them for vehicles in the foreground. The other thing would be to ask Langley if they would supply wheels from their kits separately. I don't know if they would or not as I've had very little to do with them, I always thought their kits to be a bit on the pricey side, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Happy days Langley do all their wheels as spares. 

Cheers Lez - that's an excellent resource. Sadly the wheels on the transit measure up at 9mm and Langley's smallest wheel is 10.5 and therefore a tad large.

But I've tucked the info away for future  use!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Cheers Lez - that's an excellent resource. Sadly the wheels on the transit measure up at 9mm and Langley's smallest wheel is 10.5 and therefore a tad large.

But I've tucked the info away for future  use!

Road Transport Images is also worth a look. Smallest I can see is 9.5mm.

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/01/2023 at 00:11, MrWolf said:

You can get away with filing a very slight flat on the bottom of the tyre which makes a surprising difference to the look of weight, as does painting the tyre walls a dark brownish grey.

I haven't flattened the wheels but I have tried to tone down the tyres and vehicle

bm-diorama-coastal-FIGURES-01.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

Dad's main station buildings will be largely out of view but it gets plenty of detailing as it's possible to peer along its length and shove a camera between the tracks.

I rustled up the canopies using sheet styrene, styrene rod and some brackets & valances from York Models but it's largely scratch-built. I've seen some lovely canopies using photo-teched components but I was happy to bash it together with styrene. It was easier to make adjustments as I went along and fettle it out of materials that fell to-hand.

bm-aboyne-platform-01a-RMWEB.jpg.a9b3a47b6989a9972fa893096407ad5b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

6 hours ago, Graham T said:

Those figures make me want to revisit (and repaint) all of mine!

Me too, but I believe that we can always learn and improve. I'm likely to get my layout built and then spend ten years pulling bits out and upgrading them.

BTW, managed to resist the temptation of another mint in box 2251 for £20 this morning!

• Like 3